The Grandmaster Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grandmaster Diet

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-fabiano-caruana-lose-weight-playing-chess

We were looking for a breakthrough to popularize chess. This may be it.

And I've thought all along that the reason certain players become chess GMs is because they eat GM foods!

Comment

Dieting is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Actually it explains what I have observed when I play in chess tournaments. I tend to lose weight. I thought it was because I was trying to eat healthy at least during tournaments but the article suggests that it may be more than that.

Comment

Certainly, competitive chess is a tension-producer in any setting, particularly in a multi-round event over a short time period. Proper treatment of diet is a must for success. As I have gotten older and hopefully smarter on this, I avoid soft drinks, coffee and tea, in favour of juice and water during games, aim to eat fruit and vegetables between rounds, instead of junk food and chocolate. It's interesting that former World Champion, GM Bobby Fischer, was ahead of his time on this; he was a glutton for orange juice during games. Certainly the eastern Europeans of pre-1970s era were up on it, with sports science, and they also did other things, like preparing GM Anatoly Karpov with special 'shakes' which were likely PED-enhanced! But it is certainly time for a thorough scientific study of this topic, which Vlad has referenced in his post.

Comment

Actually if you read the article juice is not good at least according to the sports nutrition experts. You will pry the coffee cup out of my cold dead hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            Actually if you read the article juice is not good at least according to the sports nutrition experts. You will pry the coffee cup out of my cold dead hands.
            And the coke bottle out of mine lol

Comment

From working outside a lot in warm weather at our hobby farm, Spirits' Den, I have come to love cold water (Not so good according to Chinese medicine, though).

So I find myself starting with a tumbler of coffee, but when it is gone, I'm into water for the rest of the game.......I think that that is considered a pretty healthy chess diet regime!

Bob A

Comment

Working...
              X