Canadian International Open Championship (Oct. 11-13), Longueuil, Quebec – Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian International Open Championship (Oct. 11-13), Longueuil, Quebec – Blog

Rd. 1 - 19/10/11 (Friday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 1
    (See Knight Logo below)

Blog Note:

This Blog on my personal Facebook page is re-posted a few other places - so references here refer to this Fb platform.

The Day of Rd. 1 (Friday, Oct. 11)

This tournament is quite intense – 5 rounds in 3 days. It takes some energy, and time, to do the full blog that I would usually do. It would be too much to take on. So I am just going to do a short, not so personal, blog, that focuses entirely on the standings in the U 1800 section.

My U 1800 Section Report - Rd. 1 - Friday, October 11/19.

I am rated 1618. I am in the 3rd of the 5 sections. I am in the middle third of the section.

In Quebec tournaments, sections are all truly open – anyone under the cap rating can play in a section, and there is no “playing up fee”.

There are 74 registered players in my section. There are about 330 players in the tournament – this may be the biggest 5 round tournament ever played in Canada!

Post-Rd. 1 – U 1800 Leaders

Since I am doing only a truncated blog of this tournament, I have decided to follow the 10 section favourites at the start of the tournament (The 10 highest rated). After Rd. 3 today, I will then start reporting on all those leading the section.

Out of the 35 players now with 1 point, here are those of the “favourites” in this group (Only 6/10 made it!):

# 1 – Richard CLOUTIER (1796)

# 2 – Patrick MILETTE (1793)

# 4 – Ferdinand SUPSUP (1769)

# 6 – Gennadi KOSLOV (1766)

# 7 – Mario MORAN-VENEGAS (1761)

# 10 – Abderaouf SEKKI (1749)

Out of the favourites group, here are the ones with 1/2 pt. byes from Rd. 1:

# 3 – Michael SHI (1789)

# 5 – Hugo GUILLEMETTE (1766)

There were two upsets:

# 8 – Jeremie MATHIEU (1753) – I won!

# 9 – Eric CLOUTIER (1752) – held to a draw.

Rd. 2 – Saturday, Oct. 12 @ 10:00 AM

There are 28 players with 1 pt. - they will be on Section C Bds. 1-14.

I am on Bd. 6 against the # 10 seed, Abderaouf – we played this summer in the Quebec Open (Also held in Longueuil).

My Round 1 Game

I usually post it here and provide some of my own light annotations (No engine analysis yet) to explain a bit of what I was thinking as the game went on. But I have not yet been able to get it entered. Should I get some time to enter my games today, then perhaps this game will be included in my Blog # 2 for today (Saturday).

My Score

1/1 pts. - Win: 1 (Rd. 1)

My Opponents' & My Scores

1/1 pts. - Me (1618)

0/1 – Jeremie Mathieu (1753) – I won in Rd. 1.

Blog Templates

There are certain parts of my Blog that appear unchanged in each blog as a template. For my regular viewers, you can skip down to where there is: TEMPLATE ENDS.

TEMPLATE BEGINS

How My Blog Works (Some history and details)

Bob's Blog

For a number of years now, I have been posting my chess blog:

i) on my personal Facebook Account for my over 900 Fb friends from around the world (in English): https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235;
    ii) sometimes on the national Canadian English chess discussion board, Chess Talk [CT] (https://forum.chesstalk.com/…/chesstalk-canada-s-chess-disc…), now owned by Henry Lam;
    iii) occasionally on other chess websites, such as that of FQE (Province of Quebec's Chess Association). On the one occasion this was done, the blog was posted in both French and English.

More recently I also have been "re-posting" my Fb blog:

i) on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat, under my own personal account - A Project of Chess Companions of Caissa (https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/);
    ii) my Scarborough CC tournaments Fb Blog to SCC's Fb Page (http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/).
    iii) my Annex CC tournaments Fb blog to ACC's Fb Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/172335039452033/).

Henry Lam (Aka Dark Knight on CT), the owner of CT, and I have now done a first renewal of our “Henry/Bob Blog Agreement” (Original agreement - summer of 2018). Under it I agreed to re-post my Fb Chess Blogs on CT for both my chess club official tournaments, subject to the condition that interest did not wane to such an extent that it was no longer worth making the effort to do the blog. This has now happened re the Annex CC blog, and I am therefore no longer blogging those club tournaments. I also agreed to blog my non-club weekend (Sometimes longer; sometimes shorter) tournaments, in which I play between Summer 2019 and Summer 2020 (Subject to time availability). Henry and I have a clause for consideration of annual renewal.

So, under this new agreement, I am now re-posting my blogs of my current Scarborough CC tournaments. My future non-club weekend blogs, to and including Summer 2020, will be (Given my current schedule - from time to time, though, my life schedule may change so that I fit in a tournament not on my schedule, or fail to play one that is intended):

1. The 2019 Hart House Holidays Open – Toronto (Prior to Christmas – Dec.).
    2. The 2020 Hart House Reading Week Open – Toronto (February).
    3. The 2020 Quebec Open – if in Montreal or near-by (July).
    4. The 2020 Toronto Open (Sept.)

This cycle I have so far been able to add: The Canadian International Open Championship, Longueuil, Quebec (Oct. 11-13,2019).

The Blog Focus

I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900, U 1800 or U 1700). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in the classes under 1900. And many of my class viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Players I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament, who then are mentioned in the Blog). So this adds a bit more interest for them.

I do also sometimes cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings; but I have to have been able to get the results before the Blog goes to press. For this section, of course, including it can be a matter of the time available (I am often doing my Blog in the wee hours of the morning).

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does during the day of club tournaments, and before and between rounds for weekend tournaments (A bit of a reality show - bits of my personal, though generally pretty ordinary, life).

I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do (E.g. - study, research opponents to prepare for them, etc.!). So one cannot generalize from what I do, to what other chess tournament players do.

Blog Feedback

I have had generally positive feedback on my blogging (I have done it for many, many years now, as some long-suffering viewers know), on both of my own Fb Accounts, the SCC & ACC Fb sites, and on CT.

It has been said that my writing style is easy to read, factual, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks to all those who have supported my Blogging on various sites, and kept encouraging me to continue all these years (I'm now working on year 75 (Not of blogging! LOL) – I do hope, as long as there is interest, to keep doing my blogs for many years yet).

Invitation

I am most happy to interact with readers re anything about which I have posted.....so react, comment, reply, post, etc. - both favourable comments and constructive criticism....I will do my best to respond to everyone, so long as I am where I have access to the internet.

And if some of the players, or non-players, wish to post something to supplement the blog, you are encouraged to do so.

So jump in with both feet, and we'll all enjoy the blogging adventure!

TEMPLATE ENDS

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 12th October, 2019, 08:46 AM.

Rds. 2 & 3 - 19/10/12 (Saturday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 2
    (See Knight Logo below)

Blog Note:

This Blog on my personal Facebook page is re-posted a few other places - so references here refer to this Fb platform.

The Day of Rds. 2 & 3 (Saturday, Oct. 12)

Template Note

There are certain parts of my Blog that appear unchanged in each blog as a template. For my regular viewers, you can skip down to where there is: TEMPLATE ENDS. I advise before the template if there are any significant amendments that have been made.

TEMPLATE BEGINS

This tournament is quite intense – 5 rounds in 3 days. It takes some energy, and time, to do the full blog that I would usually do. It would be too much to take on. So I am just going to do a short, not so personal, blog, that focuses entirely on the standings in the U 1800 section.

My U 1800 Section Report - Rd. 1 - Friday, October 11/19.

I am rated 1618. I am in the 3rd of the 5 sections. I am in the middle third of the section.

In Quebec tournaments, sections are all truly open – anyone under the cap rating can play in a section, and there is no “playing up fee”.

There are 74 registered players in my section. There are about 330 players in the tournament – this may be the biggest 5 round tournament ever played in Canada!

TEMPLATE ENDS

Post-Rd. 3 – U 1800 Leaders

Since I am doing only a truncated blog of this tournament, I have decided to follow the 10 section “favourites” at the start of the tournament (The 10 highest rated). Here are those of the “favourites” with 3/3 pts, tied for first in this group (Only 2/10 have made it!):

# 1 – Richard CLOUTIER (1796)

# 2 – Patrick Millette (1793)

The others now tied for first are:

Alain-Nicolas POTVIN (1701)

William Magner (Unrated)

Here is how the other 8 favourites are doing:

2.5 pts. - # 4 – Ferdinand SUPSUP (1769)

2 pts. - # 3 – Michael SHI (1789)
    - # 5 – Hugo GUILLEMETTE (1766)
    - # 6 – Gennadi KOSLOV (1766)
    - # 9 – Eric CLOUTIER (1752)

1.5 pts. - # 7 – Mario MORAN-VENEGAS (1761)

0 pts. - # 8 – Jeremie MATHIEU (1753)

Rd. 3 – Saturday, Oct. 12 @ 4:00 PM

I played black against Maxime Dufresne (1646). It was a close game throughout, but then I tried to win what is likely a drawn position.......and as often happens......I lost.

My Games – Rds. 1-3

I usually post my games here and provide some of my own light annotations (No engine analysis yet) to explain a bit of what I was thinking as the game went on. But I have not yet been able to get my games entered so far – time has been tight, with working on this Blog # 2. Should I get some time later tonight (And have the energy) to enter my games, then perhaps a few of the better/more interesting games will be included in my Blog # 3 for Sunday.

My Score

1/3 pts. - Wins: 1 (Rd. 1); Losses: 2 (Rds. 2 & 3)

My Opponents' & My Scores

2.5/3 pts. - Abderaouf Sekki (1749) – I lost in Rd. 2.

2/3 pts. - Maxime Dufresne (1646) – I lost in Rd. 3

1/3 pts. - Me (1618)

0/3 pts. - Jeremie Mathieu (1753) – I won in Rd. 1.

TEMPLATE BEGINS

How My Blog Works (Some history and details)

Bob's Blog

For a number of years now, I have been posting my chess blog:

i) on my personal Facebook Account for my over 900 Fb friends from around the world (in English): https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235;
    ii) sometimes on the national Canadian English chess discussion board, Chess Talk [CT] (https://forum.chesstalk.com/…/chesstalk-canada-s-chess-disc…), now owned by Henry Lam;
    iii) occasionally on other chess websites, such as that of FQE (Province of Quebec's Chess Association). On the one occasion this was done, the blog was posted in both French and English.

More recently I also have been "re-posting" my Fb blog:

i) on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat, under my own personal account - A Project of Chess Companions of Caissa (https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/);
    ii) my Scarborough CC tournaments Fb Blog to SCC's Fb Page (http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/).
    iii) my Annex CC tournaments Fb blog to ACC's Fb Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/172335039452033/).

Henry Lam (Aka Dark Knight on CT), the owner of CT, and I have now done a first renewal of our “Henry/Bob Blog Agreement” (Original agreement - summer of 2018). Under it I agreed to re-post my Fb Chess Blogs on CT for both my chess club official tournaments, subject to the condition that interest did not wane to such an extent that it was no longer worth making the effort to do the blog. This has now happened re the Annex CC blog, and I am therefore no longer blogging those club tournaments. I also agreed to blog my non-club weekend (Sometimes longer; sometimes shorter) tournaments, in which I play between Summer 2019 and Summer 2020. Henry and I have a clause for consideration of annual renewal.

So, under this new agreement, I am now re-posting my blogs of my current Scarborough CC tournaments. My future non-club weekend blogs, to and including Summer 2020, will be (Given my current schedule - from time to time, though, my life schedule may change so that I fit in a tournament not on my schedule, or fail to play one that is intended):

1. The 2019 Hart House Holidays Open – Toronto (Prior to Christmas – Dec.).
    2. The 2020 Hart House Reading Week Open – Toronto (February).
    3. The 2020 Quebec Open – if in Montreal or near-by (July).
    4. The 2020 Toronto Open (Sept.)

The Blog Focus

I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900, U 1800 or U 1700). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in the classes under 1900. And many of my class viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Players I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament, who then are mentioned in the Blog). So this adds a bit more interest for them.

I do also sometimes cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings; but I have to have been able to get the results before the Blog goes to press. For this section, of course, including it can be a matter of the time available (I am often doing my Blog in the wee hours of the morning).

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does during the day of club tournaments, and before and between rounds for weekend tournaments (A bit of a reality show - bits of my personal, though generally pretty ordinary, life).

I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do (E.g. - study, research opponents to prepare for them, etc.!). So one cannot generalize from what I do, to what other chess tournament players do.

Blog Feedback

I have had generally positive feedback on my blogging (I have done it for many, many years now, as some long-suffering viewers know), on both of my own Fb Accounts, the SCC & ACC Fb sites, and on CT.

It has been said that my writing style is easy to read, factual, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks to all those who have supported my Blogging on various sites, and kept encouraging me to continue all these years (I'm now working on year 75 (Not of blogging! LOL) – I do hope, as long as there is interest, to keep doing my blogs for many years yet).

Invitation

I am most happy to interact with readers re anything about which I have posted.....so react, comment, reply, post, etc. - both favourable comments and constructive criticism....I will do my best to respond to everyone, so long as I am where I have access to the internet.

And if some of the players, or non-players, wish to post something to supplement the blog, you are encouraged to do so.

So jump in with both feet, and we'll all enjoy the blogging adventure!

TEMPLATE ENDS

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 12th October, 2019, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X