Hoogeven Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

Its a good idea. I was always fond of matches. I remember in my early tournament days looking forward with great excitement and really enjoying matches against London's strongest players and they were key to my learning and improving. Its great opening practice and especially learning new openings and a lot of other things including intense tournament training, endgame training, competitiveness, psychology, bragging rights etc. I must have played a dozen matches in my first 4 years.Of course in those years matches were quite common. Later when I first came to Kitchener matches were of great interest to showcase the styles of different masters and were supported and sponsored by the club. I think my last match came about by the organization and support of John Brown who is a great enthusiast and efficient organizer. I play Keith Wight and was experimenting with GM Suttles openings. I think I lost that match. That was about ten years ago.
    Matches are occurring less often now but it doesnt mean they cant be popular again. I think there could be interest. The matches would require good organizers. I could see a match between two of Canadas top players drawing quite a bit of interest with the right promotion, right venue and a good reason for it. Likewise two top youth stars or even a senior legend like Frank Pushkedra against the current Canadian Senior Champion. On the other hand I do know of matches currently being held in London and two of Kitchener's players playing hundreds of games in matches over the last couple of years.
    yea I have played a few over the last little while I played about three now against Hal bond in which I have a record of 1-1-1 against with him edging me out by a point in the most recent one. years ago I also played a match against Kent spence a local in Guelph and also Jeremy Clarke who is a good friend to Guelph chess and Hal bond. I am looking to get more into match play. I love the idea of going head to head against someone like that it really puts some pressure on the chess but also allows for a lot of creativity, by the end of the match you have gotten to know your opponent. thats why I think the more games the better in a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Matches are not rare. If you find a willing opponent you can start tonight.
      I agree Vlad but im living in Sudbury now its not always easy to find someone to just start a match with

Comment

Working...
      X