Interesting Endgame (based on an actual game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Endgame (based on an actual game)

A student and I were analysing one of his games and we reached the following position in a possible variation:

White to move and win.

W: K/g6, Ps a4, b2, d5, f5

B: K/g8, Ps a5, b6, c7, g7
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Interesting Endgame (based on an actual game)

October 27, 2019

White to move and win

Comment

reminds me of a Capablanca game (flip the board over) where the dominant K position made the pawn ending a simple win.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting example, and Wayne for displaying it. I'm looking forward to the analysis.

Comment

Good blindfold exercise especially because I missed the key first time round and had to calculate the long variation with the pawn sacrifice = draw. Then go back to find the nice solution.

Comment

Any tries? The long line I first saw was 1.f6 gxf6 2.Kxf6 Kf8 3.Ke6 Ke8 4.d6 c6 5.d7+ Kd8 6.Kd6 b5 7.Kxc6 bxa4 and the idea of a3 (for Black) bxa3 and a draw because of the rook pawn.
            Anybody have anything better?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              Any tries? The long line I first saw was 1.f6 gxf6 2.Kxf6 Kf8 3.Ke6 Ke8 4.d6 c6 5.d7+ Kd8 6.Kd6 b5 7.Kxc6 bxa4 and the idea of a3 (for Black) bxa3 and a draw because of the rook pawn.
              I believe 2 has to be d6, no?

Comment

I believe so but I'll let Tom answer

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  Oh dear bad analysis.because 8.Kd6 a3 9.bxa3 a4 10.Kc6 and black is forced to play Ke7.

Comment

Working...
                  X