On-Line Fraud (not chess realated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-Line Fraud (not chess realated)

I get a lot of fraud related e-mails...and I laugh...mind you I know people who have sent thousands of dollars to these people...bright people....but alas

That said, there is one that if it had happened to me...I would have fallen into the trap.

This guy was buying a house. Documents were signed etc.

He had made a deposit with a certain financial institution

He gets an e-mail from the institution ( a scam as someone had hacked into his e-mail) and knew everything about the transaction...please make the remaining payment to this institution...$800,000...everything looked legit...in this case we were looking at $800,000...gone!

I don't have $800,000 but if I did...I would no longer have it today...just so you know!

There is a moral to this story...it is simple...always confirm with the institution the person or whatever---face to face......ALWAYS! Get it in writing please...I have learned without having to have lost...yet :). You could be next!

Billions of dollars are stolen every year...when I was in Jamaica not too long ago...incredible houses belonged to some of these fraudsters.

Sad but you can not trust anything anymore.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Tuesday, 19th November, 2019, 05:43 PM.

It is amazing how much internet fraud there is out there. Also amazing is how little effort there appears to be to combat it.
    Every day, endless email scams, phone calls. I keep thinking of having a face to face with my MP to vent my frustration.

Comment

It isn't just internet scams anymore. They must phone every number. Of late it is Revenue Canada on the phone on a cell phone I never gave them. I got a call from an 800 number which could have been a health related organization, so I called them back. The guy that answers with boiler room background noise does not identify himself or the organization. He asks for my name so he can ask who called me. I ask for the organization. He says Revenue Canada in very unconvincing manner. I decline to give my name. He hangs up. The real CRA ha
      s a different phone number for me and tend to be more professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        The guy that answers with boiler room background noise .......
        LOL! I have this image of the poor sod at his living room table trying to sound professional with his unruly family milling around him.
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post

LOL! I have this image of the poor sod at his living room table trying to sound professional with his unruly family milling around him.
          Not so Fred, not so! They're very high-tech, below is the very tip of the iceberg, there's hundreds of these operations
          all over the sub-continent. Our Store in Toronto is located in a leafy 'burb, replete with upscale retirement residences.
          You can't imagine the amount of elderly folk bilked out of their life-savings. Literally billions of dollars all over Canada.

One of my very best customers recently lost $35,000 to these callers, in the iTunes cards scam. And get this! Being frail,
          she had to take a regular cabbie from her residence to the stores, to buy these cards, and give out the numbers to the
          scammers - she must have confided in the cabbie, he in turn took her for another $3,000! Disgusting. Read and weep:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/72100529.cms

Comment

Working...
          X