Old issues of "Chess Review" and "Chess Life" available online (legally).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old issues of "Chess Review" and "Chess Life" available online (legally).

The USCF has made available PDF's of every issue of "Chess Review" (1933-1969) and "Chess Life" (1946-2019). They can be (legally) viewed or downloaded.

https://new.uschess.org/chess-life-digital-archives/

Old Issues of Chess Review and Chess Life downloadable

November 25, 2019

Hugh,

Thanks for the tip. I don’t have CL for the late 70s and 80s and this is a chance to get them in a portable and accessible form. I am downloading them now.

It is a great move by the U.S. Chess Federation.

WK

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
      Old Issues of Chess Review and Chess Life downloadable

November 25, 2019

Hugh,

Thanks for the tip. I don’t have CL for the late 70s and 80s and this is a chance to get them in a portable and accessible form. I am downloading them now.

It is a great move by the U.S. Chess Federation.

WK
      There are some special people around US Chess (now preferred to the old "USCF") putting in a lot of effort to digitize archival material. From what I've heard, it's mostly being done just for the sheer history of our game (i.e. no financial benefit). The John G. White collection at the Cleveland Public Library alone would take incredible efforts for years and years to fully digitize for posterity.

Comment

Thanks Hugh for the great tip! and I agree with Aris - a lot of committed people doing good work.

Comment

The John White collection is still worth a trip to Cleveland. Just be sure to plan your research in advance to take maximum advantage of a lot of fascinating chess history.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            The John White collection is still worth a trip to Cleveland. Just be sure to plan your research in advance to take maximum advantage of a lot of fascinating chess history.
            Likewise for the State Library in Melbourne, Australia. Their Anderson chess collection is the third largest in the world - the publications accessible to the public fill up several floor-to-ceiling bookcases, with even more available upon request. Catalogue link: http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/primo-e...ope=Everything

(note that they even have the "Canadian Supplements" to "Chess" magazine from 1937-43. I have a few of them - a typewritten page inserted in each issue sent to Canada).

Comment

I hope some of you find these to be nostalgically fun. I stumbled across them in the archival vault in Cleveland earlier today. They are copies of the actual rating sheets submitted back then.

The first one refers to Serge Lacroix, and the second one to Tom O'Donnell.

BUT, I couldn't figure out how to post them without undue compression. If anyone wants a better quality version, email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Comment

(note that they even have the "Canadian Supplements" to "Chess" magazine from 1937-43. I have a few of them - a typewritten page inserted in each issue sent to Canada).
                Chess Review in the 1930s also had a Canadian news page.

Comment

Working...
                X