Deliberately lowering your rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deliberately lowering your rating

I have been playing on a site called Red Hot Pawn for more then 10 years. Recently I was paired against an opponent who at one time had a site rating over 2500. Now his/her rating is under 1700. I went into their game history and found many games where they resigned in only a few moves in apparently equal positions. Why would someone do this? Is it dishonest or unethical?

In my opinion if there is nothing on the line, then no, who cares? But if there are sectional prizes being played for with this artificially lowered rating then we have a case of sandbagging which is completely unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Garel View Post
      ... Why would someone do this? Is it dishonest or unethical?
      Another thought: could a health event be involved? I'm thinking of British IM Colin Crouch who, in one or more of his books, wrote about the impact on his chess of his debilitating stroke.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...9/colin-crouch
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

All I can say is that there are forces in the Universe that are working on lowering my rating; so far, they do not require any assistance...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Another thought: could a health event be involved? I'm thinking of British IM Colin Crouch who, in one or more of his books, wrote about the impact on his chess of his debilitating stroke.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...9/colin-crouch
          That thought occurred to me as well, Peter. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            In my opinion if there is nothing on the line, then no, who cares? But if there are sectional prizes being played for with this artificially lowered rating then we have a case of sandbagging which is completely unethical.
            You are quite right, Brad. There is nothing on the line except pride, I suppose. I should probably let it go. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              All I can say is that there are forces in the Universe that are working on lowering my rating; so far, they do not require any assistance...
              I hear that Kerry!

Comment

Working...
              X