"World Prestigious University Chess Invitational Tournament"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "World Prestigious University Chess Invitational Tournament"

Does anyone know about this event: "World Prestigious University Chess Invitational Tournament" held recently in Tianjin, China? The University of Toronto had a team, as did several other universities around the world. Did the organizers pay all expenses? Were other Canadian universities approached? What is the "Berg's counter-attack system"?

From https://en.chessbase.com/post/nankai...xogLz0vwEJkMDU

"On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Nankai University of China, the university will hold the “Centennial Naikai” 2019 World Prestigious University Chess Invitational Championship, which is jointly organized by the Board and Card Games Administrative Centre of General Administration of Sports of China, the Chinese Chess association, and the Tianjin Sports Federation from November 25th to 30th, 2019. The invitational aims to enhance the friendly cooperation between Chinese university students and the world, to promote the chess culture in universities, and to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Nankai University."

"The tournament will use the Berg's counter-attack system, and will be ranked after eleven rounds in five days. Each team shall comprise three players (two men and one woman), one captain, and one coach. The time control is 25 minutes plus 15 seconds per move."

Click on a team to see its players.

http://chess-results.com/tnr492627.a...d8hi66LjNB5p7c

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    What is the "Berg's counter-attack system"?
    Maybe a mistranslation of (Sonneborn) "Berger tie-break system"?

Comment

Hello,

Nankai University (in Tianjin, China) is celebrating 100 years of existence. They organized a rapid chess tournament, teams Round Robin, including 10 foreign universities and 2 home teams, to celebrate the occasion. University of Toronto was invited in the late Spring and accepted the invitation.
      https://put.nankai.edu.cn/

I do not know whether other Canadian Universities got approached.

First I hear of the Berg Counter-Attack System. Don't know what that is.

The 3rd tie-breaking system was "Berlin". I myself didn't know what this was until just before the start of the tournament.
      What they called the Berlin tie-break system is:
      Points scored on Board 1 are multiplied by 3
      Points scored on Board 2 are multiplied by 2
      Points scored on Board 3 are multiplied by 1
      As per the organizer's rule, the female player was fixed on Board 3. Whereas most or all other schools had the lowest rated player on Board 3 (lady board), our female player was actually our strongest player (Qiyu Zhou). In any case, this tie-break didn't come into play.
      Note that this was the last tie-break criteria, after match points and individual points.

The tournament was incredibly well organized. Head and shoulders above anything I've ever been at. But this is China. They have government support, they have full backing of their university.
      Interestingly enough, on the international stage, we (Canada) are considered to be developed and wealthy.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
        we (Canada) are considered to be developed and wealthy.
        Look at university fees and how many kids are there -- could that happen in an undeveloped and poor country LOL

Comment

Working...
        X