Santa Claus Open - Montreal - Dec 26-30, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Claus Open - Montreal - Dec 26-30, 2019

I created this event in 1978, which features 1 round per day between Xmas and New Year's. Excellent for folks who are single, students and those who can get away from family obligations :).

Every so often the Quebec Chess Federation (FQE) can not find an organizer as afterall most people have family obligations at this time of the year.

I organized the event under the Montreal Chess Club banner for a couple of years not that long ago... until someone else stepped forward. This year it looked like they had nobody to do the event.

Soo...the event will be held under the Montreal Chess Club banner again this year. The event has been held every year...celebrating 31 years in 2019!

There is $3,000 in guaranteed prizes, Hugh Brodie has stepped forward to contribute $350 to the prize fund! Rounds are at 6pm.

Here are the details in French...go to google translates if you have problems :)

https://echecs.org/tournoi-du-pere-noel-2019

Hmm... 41 years ?

Comment

WOW...I have been around far longer than I thought LOL...incredible! Thanks for the correction :)

Comment

It started in 1976 to replace the cancelled Fall Open. Entry fees were $16 and $12; $1000 in prizes based on 140 entries. Sure enough the contact was "L. Bevand" (D.M. Ledain's chess column in the Montreal "Gazette", Dec. 18, 1976). The March/April 1977 CFC Bulletin (#21) reported that Leo Williams won the 32-player "A" section. TD's were Larry Bevand and Serge Bouthillier. (site: Alekhine CC on St-Denis)

For the 1977 version, there is no mention of who organized it. "Sections of 20 players according to rating". It was held over the December 10-11 weekend. 90 players. (site was 840 Cherrier - the same building in which Frank Marshall gave his 150+board simul in the 1920's).

1978: the CFC report states :"Organizer extra-ordinaire Larry Bevand proved he can play too by knocking off top ranked Grant Spraggett.and finishing with 3 out of 4 points." (site was Radio-Canada - the best site Montreal ever had for chess (along with the 7th floor of the Sun Life building). Security concerns would never allow such locations now )

Winners of all the events since 1976: http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/winpn.htm
        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 9th December, 2019, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks Hugh!

First let me tell a little story about Radio Canada. My contact there was Paul Sauvageau...a unique and wonderful fellow who worked for CBC at the time. He made all the arrangements for us!

When Paul retired from the CBC...he started teaching for the CMA! HE IS STILL WITH US TODAY...AND WE ARE INCREDIBLY LUCKY TO HAVE HIM WITH US!

An unsung hero from the chess community!

I know Denis Coté, one of the best chess organizers Canada has ever seen (and the least recognized in the ROC), did something around Dec 10...can you check the dates of the events before 1978 please?

I spoke with Denis yesterday. He still has the FQE at heart. He told me he constantly is making suggestions to the staff there as to how to improve things. He says it takes 6 to 12 months but his ideas are usually approved. He would be a great Executive Director at the FQE when the transfer is made in the next few years!

There will be a lot of staff changes in Quebec chess Organization over the next 5 years. We are getting older. The average age of staff at the CMA is over 60 and the same is true at the FQE.

I am looking at purchasing a couple of companies for the CMA (board game related but not chess). - that will be news to the board as I am still at the very early stages...and way too early to put this on the table...but we will have a meeting of the CMA executive in Feb...by then I will have a better idea ..the owners of these companies are in their 80's so I guess everything is relative.

I do not hide things from the board but I bring it to their attention only when it gets serious. We get proposals every month and I only bring the serious stuff to the table.

Larry
          Last edited by Larry Bevand; Wednesday, 11th December, 2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Pre-registered list (54)

Section A

Allard Laurent
            Chiku-Ratté Olivier Kenta
            Destree Frédéric
            Duong Thanh Nha
            He Jiaqi
            HE ZEKAI
            JIANG BARRON jiyu
            Kozlov Guennadi
            Landry Sylvain
            Rahimabadi Shayan
            Richard Léo
            Robichaud Louis
            Sekki Abderaouf
            Tsukerman Julia
            Voskanyan Vahagn
            Zheng Richard

Section B

AVARIAN ARAM SEVAG
            Baran Marius
            Bergeron Jean-Guy
            Duval Mathieu
            Farahdel Anahita
            Giroux Gilbert
            Laporte Michel
            Lima-Barbosa Raphaël
            MAI DEREN
            Milosz Jerzy
            Pelletier Arnaud
            Raymond Hu
            Wang Isabelle

Section C

Banh Kaiden
            Beland Gregory
            Brunelle Raymond
            Diraddo Daniel
            Gingras Marc
            Girard-Plouffe Francois
            Imbeault Marc
            Kesavan Vishaal Sai
            Larocque Pierre
            Lou Aaron
            Nanescu Marin
            Ouellet Émile
            Petelle Alexandre
            Piché Eric
            Pilon Sabrina
            Rebhi Mohamed
            Richard Hu
            Smirnov Arteme-Iouri
            Tachijian Mardig
            Tang-Han Sean
            Tolico Alexandre
            Vincent André
            Zago Mathieu
            Zhang Kevin
            Zhao Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              Here are the details in French...go to google translates if you have problems :)

https://echecs.org/tournoi-du-pere-noel-2019
              Hey Larry, I'm assuming CFC membership is accepted? (like FQE membership is accepted at CFC events)

Comment

Working...
              X