Hart House Holidays Open Chess Tournament – Blog

Rd. 1 - 19/12/13 (Friday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part I of 3 parts]
    (See Knight Logo below)

Tournament

Name: Hart House Holidays Open Chess Tournament

When: Dec. 13-15.

Format: 5- round swiss

Sections: 6: Crown (2200+); U 2200; U 1900; U 1600; U 1300; U 1000.

Time Control: G/90 + 30 sec. (From move 1)

Rating: a. All sections are CFC-rated.

b. The top 3 sections are also FIDE rated.

Playing Up: Players within 100 pts. of the floor of the section above have the option to play in the next section up – $ 20 fee.

Blog Note:

This Blog on my personal Facebook page is re-posted a few other places - so references here refer to this original Fb platform.
    The Day of Rd. 1(Dec. 13)

Friday Morning

Today I am currently living in Toronto, Ontario, and so am able to play. I love to play in the Great Hall of Hart House (I am a U of T Alumni), and schedule in to be here this weekend. My first time playing there was the Canadian Open of 1968!

I awoke at 3:30 AM (!), and found my wife had not yet come to bed – on a movie tear since I came home from Scarborough Chess Club on Thursday night at 11:00 PM. I had gone to bed at 11:30 PM on Thursday – a fairly short length of sleep for me (But often during weekend tournaments I sleep much shorter, and get substantially less than my usual 6 hrs. sleep). I must monitor my sleep, not to develop a sleep deficit – with my Bi-Polar Disorder, a sleep deficit raises the odds of my entering a hypo-manic, or even a psychotic-manic, phase....not that healthy for me, and stressful for some of those around me.

My wife then showed, and I tried to sleep, but to no avail.

So I went and got my morning coffee downstairs today, as usual, to take upstairs to my home office. I do limit my caffeine intake in a day, by using 1/2 decaf & 1/2 dark roast!

Template Note:

There are sections of this blog that are a standard “template” which I repeat in each Blog.
    The template must be here for any new readers of my Blog.
    So I ask my regular readers to be tolerant. If you have read the template part previously, you can skip from “Template Begins” to “Template Ends” (I will alert you immediately before the template if there are any revisions you won't have read previously).

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Victim of Routine

I am retired + unemployed – life is quite fine overall - except for my slave-driver company, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative [Quite a mouthful, but simply put: CLCC], where I must volunteer my work time for free all day long, 24/7! I have created a monster!

My mornings tend to be pretty scripted – who isn't a victim of routine?

So I settled, this morning somewhat early, in to my comfy home office and fired up my old laptop to follow my general daily routine tasks.

My Daily Personal Project Tasks

1. Check for my e-mails and Fb messages.

2. Check new posts/comments on ChessTalk (CT);

3. Check my Twitter feed to see what had been happening in the world (I follow numerous mainstream media from countries around the world, such as CBC, Toronto Star, National Post, NBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, France 24, China Daily, Al Jezeera (English), Japan Times, Sputnik News, The Guardian, etc.). I re-post the most relevant...see below.

4. Fb Project # 1 (My Company's) - My little company (In the process of being legally incorporated, after some years of operation as an unregistered sole proprietorship) is called, as said above, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC). So I update my company's Fb page, Canadian Life Consulting (CLC) - https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Life-Consulting-16406543…/. I do this by checking my Twitter inbox for articles to re-post onto CLC. I then also check my Fb newsfeed and some of my Fb friends timelines for posts to "share".
    1. Update one of the discussion groups formed under my company page, called Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative Supporters' Group (Or CLCC Supporters) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2042495809374373/. I update it by sharing some more discussable of the posts now on the CLC page.
    1. Fb Project # 2 (My Own): Update this Fb world events/politics discussion group that I have created here on my own personal Fb account, called PEERS (A Discussion Club of Equals) – https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235. I do this by also sharing some of the CLC page posts. But I also share some of my sources' posts directly to this discussion club.

7. I share at least one chess post per day to my second Fb discussion club, Chess Chat (also formed under my personal Fb account) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/.
    1. Fb Project # 3 (On behalf of a religious community I am forming) - When I find them, I share religious (All Religions) posts to my religious community's Fb Page, Theist Community (https://www.facebook.com/Theist-Comm...dmin_todo_tour). Sometimes these re-posts also appear in PEERS.
    2. Update the discussion group formed under my community's page. It is called Spiritual/Religions Discussion Club (Or SRDC) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2042495809374373/. I update it by sharing some more discussable of the posts now on the Theist Community page.
    3. Fb Project # 4 (On behalf of a political party I would like formed) – Democratic Marxist – Global – https://www.facebook.com/Democratic-...dmin_todo_tour.
    4. Update the discussion group formed under the political party page. It is called Democratic Marxist Global Forum – https://www.facebook.com/groups/2045...=nf&__tn__=C-R.
    5. I have another retiree project besides my 3 Facebook Projects.

Chess is a passionate hobby of mine, as you know. It is part of what I call my “Interlude Living”. But I have never really studied seriously.

But what I do do, is I enter all my games, and annotate them, to try to learn something - GrandMasters do recommend this often. In addition, I integrate the opening (the first 10 moves) into an opening/defence tree I have for the opening/defence played. The value of this is pretty uncertain, given my inability to remember lines - but I do develop general impressions of how the opening can go.

So on my own time, I go back and forth between the 3 Facebook projects and my chess hobby project.

My 35/25 System

As well, I go back and forth between my routine items above and my own personal life tasks to be done that day. But I have a somewhat unique system for doing this.

Recently I found that I was spending a lot more time on my three retiree projects than my normal life tasks - don't we all spend more time on what we enjoy!

But I was falling behind in "life" while keeping up in the "Fb/chess" projects. So I did have to deal with this issue.

So I came up with the "35/25 System". What this is: When I am at home, I bite the bullet and I spend 35 min. on my life tasks, which I think of as “working for myself”; I even set the alarm! Then I reward myself with 25 min. on my 3 retiree projects (Facebook [2] & Chess). I try very hard to religiously stop when I am to change phases.

This has actually worked out well....I am still abysmally behind in "Life", but not nearly as much as I used to be! LOL

TEMPLATE ENDS
    [Part II below]

Bob A

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part II of 3 parts]

Back to Friday Morning

I got quite a bit of updating and posting done, since I had about 4 1/2 hrs to myself. But I pretty much worked on only my own projects this morning.

I usually begin to draft my Weekend Tournament Blogs the day before (on Thursday) – then I sort of add to it as I go through Friday. But I didn't get it started since I was so busy on Thursday, and, and I also didn't get it started this morning for some reason, though I had lots of time.

I then called my personal physician to try to get a same-day appointment – I have diabetes, and so get a bi-annual light physical – one of them is in December. But I found Fridays is the one day of the week he is not in.

Then at 8:45 AM, I headed out to get the oil changed on the car – don't need to book an appointment for this at my dealership. Because it is on the west side of town, I just hang around in the waiting area.

Then I headed home (I had missed going to my usual Bul**it Coffee Club at Patisserie La Cigogne near where I live because of the oil change).

Back at Home

I got home at 11:30 AM. I couldn't follow my 35/25 system right away. My wife and I had to organize our Christmas gifts for everyone, and we had to push through on it – we will be going to Montreal over the holidays to live (We go every 6th week during the year) for a week or so, with my son/granddaughter.

The Afternoon

I usually have a “linner” (Between lunch and dinner) in mid-afternoon when tournament playing – so I got out some great left-over fried chicken when we had finished with the gift sorting.

Siesta

Given that I usually sleep short compared to many in the early morning (night), and that I am working on year number 75, and especially today with the 3:30 AM rising, I have found that the European/Latin American practice of a siesta time in mid-afternoon works really well (I usually set the alarm and do not sleep more than 1 hour, but today I took 2 hrs.). My wife, because of her health, also is tired by then.

So we both went for a siesta at 2:30 PM. We take the landline phone off the hook and shut off cell phones – drives the family and friends nuts, but they've adjusted.

I woke up with my alarm at 4:30 PM. I then went back to the laptop for a while.

Heading Out for Rd. 7 (Final)

I then prepared my stuff to go to the tournament. I also printed out the pre-registration list for my section (U 1900 – I always play up if I'm given the option) – I use it to record myself the top results in my section, for this Blog # 1.

At 5:00 PM I headed out by TTC for Hart House.

Pre-Round 1

I got in and as always, the first round was somewhat delayed due to the acceptance of on-site entries.

I belong to a lunch club called the World-Wise Lunch Club. And immediately I saw and joined a number of the members sitting chatting, waiting for the round to start: Toy Kwan and Pino Verde. Mario Moran-Venegas also joined us (A member). We found that two other members were in the tournament, but had taken round 1 byes: Ken Kurkowski and Undriadi Benggawan. It is looking like we are going to have an unscheduled informal meeting either at Saturday or Sunday lunch break.

I also chatted with a number of other weekend warriors – John Brown, Charlie Grisar (1st weekend tournament – plays at my Annex Chess Club), Trifelino Miaco; Ferdinand Supsup; Richard Wing, Henry Hughes (Who has been consistently raising his rating), and others.

Round 1

The round started a bit late, but we have started later in the past. My friend Alex Ferreira was chairing the organizing committee again this year, from what I could see. I have my own clock, and for years have not known how to set it (sigh).....so it was off to the director's/arbiter's table to get Andrew to set the time control on my clock. We were on the last board, right beside one of the big Hart House radiators, blasting out heat.......falling asleep at the board is a real danger! I played White against Nathaniel Brown (Game below).

Post Rd. 1

After the game I watched the rest of the games, until I had the scores for all our section.

Then I packed up my stuff and headed for home at 10:30 PM. I stopped and got gas on the way home.

The Later Evening

I got home about 11:45 PM, and my wife was still up and reading. We chatted a bit – I was starved and so got the last piece of fried chicken, as a midnight snack.

Then I went and did a bit on my own projects on the laptop.

But I was then too tired to start this Blog # 1, and left it to Saturday morning (I will post it early before heading out for Rd. 2 @ 10:00 AM).

I went to bed at 11:30 PM.

My U 1900 Section Report - Rd. 1 - Friday, Dec. 13/19.

I am rated 1534. I am in the 3rd of the 6 sections. My section rating spread is effectively, from the 1500's to about 1899. I am in the lower third of the section.

Post-Rd. 1 – U 1900 Winners

There are 41 players in our section; but there were fewer boards (The actual number of boards may have playing fewer than the total no. of players, due to byes, suspensions, withdrawals, etc.).

After one round, there is a 14-way tie for first.

My Round 1 Game

I have provided some of my own light annotations (No engine analysis yet) to explain a bit of what I was thinking as the game went on.

Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1534) – Brown, Nathaniel (1374) [D04]

Hart House Holidays Op (U1900) (1), 13.12.2019
    [Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J.]

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 Bf5 4.Bd3 Bxd3 5.Qxd3 my very passive White opening 5...Nc6 6.0–0 g6 7.c4 e6 8.a3 Bg7 9.c5 Although slow this Q-side initiative has sometimes yielded me something if Bl wastes a few moves. 9...0–0 10.b4 Ne7 11.Bb2 c6 12.a4 a6 I very often face this kind of pawn structure........the trick is to find a way to break through and then grab control of the opened or half-opened files. 13.Nc3 Nd7 14.b5 e5 Seems like a good plan - to try to open lines in the centre and weaken my P's 15.Nxe5 Bxe5 Nathaniel decides to give up his defensive B in order to saddle me with a doubled, advanced eP - I am unsure if this is worth it. With the B gone, the K is more vulnerable to attack. 16.dxe5 Nxc5 I get the doubled P. 17.Qc2 Nd7 Nathaniel decides to simply focus on the advanced eP. 18.Ne2 Qc7 19.Qc3 this set-up is somewhat dangerous for Bl, and he must keep watching that I never get full control of the main black diagonal. 19...Nf5 a mistake; the better move is Nb6 (Heading for a c4 outpost). 20.Nf4 setting up different threats 20...h5 In the post-mortem, Nathaniel said he had total chess blindness concerning the h8 mate..........just didn't see it at all. 21.e6 Black is now lost 21...Nb6 missing the mate in one. But the game was already lost. 22.Qh8#
    1–0

[Part III below]

Bob A

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part III of 3 parts]

My Score

1/1 pts. - Wins: 1 (Rd. 1).

My Opponents' & My Scores

1/1 pts. - Me (1563)

0/1 pts. - Nathaniel Brown (CFC – 1374; FIDE – 1753) – I won in Rd. 1.

Some History

How My Blog Works (Some history and details)

This next section is another template.

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Bob's Blog

For a number of years now, I have been posting my chess blog:

i) on my personal Facebook Account for my over 900 Fb friends from around the world (in English): https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235;
      ii) sometimes on the national Canadian English chess discussion board, Chess Talk [CT] (https://forum.chesstalk.com/…/chesstalk-canada-s-chess-disc…), now owned by Henry Lam;
      iii) occasionally on other chess websites, such as that of FQE (Province of Quebec's Chess Association). On the one occasion this was done, the blog was posted in both French and English.

More recently I also have been "re-posting" my Fb blog:

i) on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat, under my own personal account - A Project of Chess Companions of Caissa (https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/);
      ii) my Scarborough CC tournaments Fb Blog to SCC's Fb Page (http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/).
      iii) my Annex CC tournaments Fb blog to ACC's Fb Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/172335039452033/).

Henry Lam (Aka Dark Knight on CT), the owner of CT, and I have now done a first renewal of our “Henry/Bob Blog Agreement” (Original agreement - summer of 2018). Under it I agreed to re-post my Fb Chess Blogs on CT for both my chess club official tournaments, subject to the condition that interest did not wane to such an extent that it was no longer worth making the effort to do the blog. This has now happened re the Annex CC blog, and I am therefore no longer blogging those club tournaments. I also agreed to blog my non-club weekend (Sometimes longer; sometimes shorter) tournaments, in which I play between Summer 2019 and Summer 2020. Henry and I have a clause for consideration of annual renewal.

So, under this new agreement, I am now re-posting my blogs of my current Scarborough CC tournaments. My future non-club weekend blogs, to and including Summer 2020, will be (Given my current schedule - from time to time, though, my life schedule may change so that I fit in a tournament not on my schedule, or fail to play one that is intended):
      1. The 2019 Hart House Holidays Open – Toronto (Prior to Christmas – Dec. 13-5).
        2. The 2020 Hart House Reading Week Open – Toronto (February).
        3. The 2020 Quebec Open – if in Montreal or near-by (July).
        4. The 2020 Toronto Open (Sept.)

This year so far, I have managed to insert a game into the Fall – The Canadian International Open – Longueuil, Quebec (Oct. 11-3, 2019).

The Blog Focus

I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900, U 1800 or U 1700). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in the classes under 1900. And many of my class viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Players I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament, who then are mentioned in the Blog). So this adds a bit more interest for them.

I do also sometimes cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings; but I have to have been able to get the results before the Blog goes to press. For this section, of course, including it can be a matter of the time available (I am often doing my Blog in the wee hours of the morning).

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does during the day of club tournaments, and before and between rounds for weekend tournaments (A bit of a reality show - bits of my personal, though generally pretty ordinary, life).

I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do (E.g. - study, research opponents to prepare for them, etc.!). So one cannot generalize from what I do, to what other chess tournament players do.

Blog Feedback

I have had generally positive feedback on my blogging (I have done it for many, many years now, as some long-suffering viewers know), on both of my own Fb Accounts, the SCC & ACC Fb sites, and on CT.

It has been said that my writing style is easy to read, factual, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks to all those who have supported my Blogging on various sites, and kept encouraging me to continue all these years (I'm now working on year 75 (Not of blogging! LOL) – I do hope, as long as there is interest, to keep doing my blogs for many years yet).

Invitation

I am most happy to interact with readers re anything about which I have posted.....so react, comment, reply, post, etc. - both favourable comments and constructive criticism....I will do my best to respond to everyone, so long as I am where I have access to the internet.

And if some of the players, or non-players, wish to post something to supplement the blog, you are encouraged to do so.

So jump in with both feet, and we'll all enjoy the blogging adventure!

TEMPLATE ENDS

Bob A
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 15th December, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Rds. 2 & 3 - 19/12/14 (Saturday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 2 [Part I of 3 parts]
        (See Knight Logo below)

Tournament

Playing Up: Players within 100 pts. of the floor of the section above have the option to play in the next section up – $ 20 fee.

Blog Note:

This Blog on my personal Facebook page is re-posted a few other places - so references here refer to this original Fb platform.
        The Day of Rds. 2 & 3 (Dec. 14)

Friday Morning

I love to play in the Great Hall of Hart House (I am a U of T Alumni), and schedule in to be here this weekend each year.

I awoke at 4:30 AM (!?). I had gone to bed at 11:30 PM on Thursday – close to my normal 6 hrs. at night (But often during weekend tournaments I sleep much shorter, and get substantially less).

So I went and got my morning coffee downstairs today, as usual, to take upstairs to my home office. I do limit my caffeine intake in a day, by using 1/2 decaf & 1/2 dark roast!

Template Note:

There are sections of this blog that are a standard “template” which I repeat in each Blog.
        So I ask my regular readers to be tolerant. If you have read the template part previously, you can skip from “Template Begins” to “Template Ends” (I will alert you immediately before the template if there are any revisions you won't have read previously).

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Victim of Routine

I am retired + unemployed – life is quite fine overall - except for my slave-driver company, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative [Quite a mouthful, but simply put: CLCC], where I must volunteer my work time for free all day long, 24/7! I have created a monster!

So I settled, this morning somewhat early, in to my comfy home office and fired up my old laptop to follow my general daily routine tasks.

3. Check my Twitter feed to see what had been happening in the world (I follow numerous mainstream media from countries around the world, such as CBC, Toronto Star, National Post, NBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, France 24, China Daily, Al Jezeera (English), Japan Times, Sputnik News, The Guardian, etc.). I re-post the most relevant...see below.

4. Fb Project # 1 (My Company's) - My little company (In the process of being legally incorporated, after some years of operation as an unregistered sole proprietorship) is called, as said above, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC). So I update my company's Fb page, Canadian Life Consulting (CLC) - https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Life-Consulting-16406543…/. I do this by checking my Twitter inbox for articles to re-post onto CLC. I then also check my Fb newsfeed and some of my Fb friends timelines for posts to "share".
        1. Update one of the discussion groups formed under my company page, called Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative Supporters' Group (Or CLCC Supporters) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2042495809374373/. I update it by sharing some more discussable of the posts now on the CLC page.
        1. Fb Project # 2 (My Own): Update this Fb world events/politics discussion group that I have created here on my own personal Fb account, called PEERS (A Discussion Club of Equals) – https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235. I do this by also sharing some of the CLC page posts. But I also share some of my sources' posts directly to this discussion club.

7. I share at least one chess post per day to my second Fb discussion club, Chess Chat (also formed under my personal Fb account) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/.
        1. Fb Project # 3 (On behalf of a religious community I am forming) - When I find them, I share religious (All Religions) posts to my religious community's Fb Page, Theist Community (https://www.facebook.com/Theist-Comm...dmin_todo_tour). Sometimes these re-posts also appear in PEERS.
        2. Update the discussion group formed under my community's page. It is called Spiritual/Religions Discussion Club (Or SRDC) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2042495809374373/. I update it by sharing some more discussable of the posts now on the Theist Community page.
        3. Fb Project # 4 (On behalf of a political party I would like formed) – Democratic Marxist – Global – https://www.facebook.com/Democratic-...dmin_todo_tour.
        4. Update the discussion group formed under the political party page. It is called Democratic Marxist Global Forum – https://www.facebook.com/groups/2045...=nf&__tn__=C-R.

Chess is a passionate hobby of mine, as you know. It is part of what I call my “Interlude Living”. But I have never really studied seriously.

But what I do do, is I enter all my games, and annotate them, to try to learn something - GrandMasters do recommend this often. In addition, I integrate the opening (the first 10 moves) into an opening/defence tree I have for the opening/defence played. The value of this is pretty uncertain, given my inability to remember lines - but I do develop general impressions of how the opening can go.

So on my own time, I go back and forth between the 3 Facebook projects and my chess hobby project.

My 35/25 System

As well, I go back and forth between my routine items above and my own personal life tasks to be done that day. But I have a somewhat unique system for doing this.

Recently I found that I was spending a lot more time on my three retiree projects than my normal life tasks - don't we all spend more time on what we enjoy!

But I was falling behind in "life" while keeping up in the "Fb/chess" projects. So I did have to deal with this issue.

So I came up with the "35/25 System". What this is: When I am at home, I bite the bullet and I spend 35 min. on my life tasks, which I think of as “working for myself”; I even set the alarm! Then I reward myself with 25 min. on my 3 retiree projects (Facebook [2] & Chess). I try very hard to religiously stop when I am to change phases.

This has actually worked out well....I am still abysmally behind in "Life", but not nearly as much as I used to be! LOL

TEMPLATE ENDS
        [Parts II & III below]

Bob A

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 2 [Part II of 3 parts]

Back to Saturday Morning

I got quite a bit of updating and posting done, since I had so much time to myself. But I pretty much worked on only my own projects this morning.

I didn't get to draft/post my Friday Blog last night because I was too tired after the round – so I now went at drafting and posting it, while going back and forth on my other Fb projects.

I got everything done by 9:00 AM, and then prepared to head out to Rd. 2.

Heading Out for Rds. 2 & 3

I left about 9:15 AM and headed for U of T by TTC.

Pre-Round 2

I got in and found the pairings were not yet up.

So I socialized a bit. I chatted with my friend, Rick Garel, now living in Orillia – he had had a bad fall, and his arm looked terrible all bruised, but it seems there is no longer term damage. I then joined the CHIRP group – a number of former Scarborough CC members, all retirees, who a while ago started an informal club to play rated round-robin tournaments: Dinesh Dattani, Doug Gillis, Ken Kurkowski, John Brown, among a few. Pino Verde, former SCC'er and Richard Wing, long-time weekend warrior, joined us. Later I spoke briefly with Toy Kwan, Mario Moran-Venegas and Undriadi Benggawan, all of our World-Wise Lunch Club, and we arranged we'd go to lunch if enough of us finished early in Rd. 2.

Round 2

The round started a bit late. I was paired against Junior Harrison Liu – he had beaten me in the Toronto Open in the Spring, and then gone on to tie for first. The game is below.

Lunch

Undriadi, Mario, Toy and I all finished early and so went for lunch. Undriadi invited new Mississagua CC member, Rahid Mughal, to join us. So we headed out to the O'Grady pub on College St.

Conversation was lively and we all had many a good laugh. We warned our friendly waitress that we might return on Sunday, if she wanted to take the day off. She said she'd take it as a promise of our return.

We all then returned to the hall. It was a fair time 'til Rd. 2, so I sat at a table to just rest. Former SCC member, Sam Haziprodromu joined me, and we reviewed his game.....then Charlie Grisar, of Annex CC joined us, and some others. Then we looked at a few of the other games.......it eventually deteriorated into blitz chess!

I then got up and chatted with more of the usual suspects while waiting for the round 3.

Rd. 3

I played White against SCC junior, Ben Wu, ranked third in our section. The game is below.

Post-Rd. 3.

I watched games for a while, and then settled in to watch the first board in our section, which was our last one to finish. Alex Ferreira, organizing committee chair, kindly checked with me that I had all the results I needed for this Blog # 2.

Then I packed up my stuff and headed for home at around 8:00 PM.

The Later Evening

When I got home my wife was still up and reading. We chatted a bit.

But I was then too tired to start this Blog # 2, and left it to Sunday morning (I will post it early before heading out for Rd. 4 which is @ 10:00 AM).

I went to bed at 10:00 PM. I am 75 y.o. next summer – maybe age is having tournaments take more of a toll on me than in the past??

My U 1900 Section Report - Rds. 2 & 3 - Saturday, Dec. 14/19.

I am rated 1534. I am in the 3rd of the 6 sections. My section rating spread is effectively, from the 1500's to about 1899. I am in the lower third of the section.

Post-Rd. 3 – U 1900 Leaders

There are 40 players in our section; there were 18 boards (The actual number of boards may have playing fewer than the total no. of players, due to byes, suspensions, withdrawals, etc.).

After Rd. 3 the leaders are:

1st/2nd– 3/3 pts. (Won all games) – Ferdinand Supsup (1817); Jurgen Allaj (1715).

3rd/6th – 2.5/3 pts. (Undefeated) – Henry Hughes (1771); Junior Boy Harrison Liu (1744); Junior Boy Aaron Liu (1714); Junior Girl Lucy Gao (1687).

My Round 2 Game

I have provided some of my own light annotations (No engine analysis yet) to explain a bit of what I was thinking as the game went on.

Liu, Harrison (1744) – Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1534) [B06]

Hart House Holidays Open (U 1900) (2), 14.12.2019

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Bc4 c5 Modern Defence 4.Ne2 Qb6 5.dxc5 Qxc5 6.Bb3 a5 7.Nbc3 e6 8.Be3 Qc6 9.a4 Na6 10.Nd4 Qd6 11.0–0 Qe7 I broke the classical rule of not bringing the Q out early.....I will pay for making 5 Queen moves out of my first 11 moves......... 12.f4 Nc7 13.Ndb5 Working on my weak c7 square for a fork/check. 13...Nxb5 14.Nxb5 Kf8 awkward, but solves the check-fork problem. 15.Bd4 Nh6 16.Bxg7+ Kxg7 17.Qd4+ f6 18.Nc7 Only now did I realize I was going to pay for not having allowed my c8B to develop. 18...e5 19.fxe5 fxe5 20.Qb6 Rb8 21.Nd5 Qh4 I am now lost.......the only hope is for a mate. 22.Qd6 22...Re8 My R is less important than my e5P! 23.Qxb8 Harrison is up a R. 23...Ng4 I must try for something....... 24.h3 h5 Playing for two themes: 1. my R to h8; 2. My hP getting to g3. 25.hxg4 hxg4 Harrison is up R + N vs P; do I have any viable mate threats? 26.Qd6 Any of my threats are too slow. 26...Re6 27.Qf8+ Kh7 28.Rf7#

1–0

[Part III below]

Bob A

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 2 [Part III of 3 parts]

My Rd. 3 Game

Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1534) – Wu, Benjamin (1796) [E14]

Hart House Holidays Open (U 1900) (3), 14.12.2019

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6 Queen's Indian Defence 4.e3 Bb7 5.Bd3 c5 6.0–0 cxd4 7.exd4 Be7 8.Nc3 0–0 9.d5 It seemed I could play aggressively in this position. 9...Na6 10.Bf4 threatening d6, winning the B 10...Nh5 11.Qd2 Nc5 12.Bc2 I want the B for future attacking purposes. 12...Nxf4 13.Qxf4 Bf6 14.Rad1 Bxc3 15.bxc3 At the time, I did not think giving up the B to give me doubled P's was worth it........but Benjamin then single-mindedly focused on this weakness. Also, Ben's c5N is very hard to dislodge. 15...Ba6 16.Rfe1 Qf6 17.Qd4 Rac8 Piling up on my c4 18.d6 Qxd4 19.Rxd4 f6 20.Rh4 this amounts to nothing 20...g6 21.Rd1 Nb7 22.Bb3 Na5 23.Nd2 Kg7 24.Rc1 Rc6 Hard for me to defend both the c4P and the e6P. 25.Rd4 e5 26.Rd5 Nxc4 Benjamin deserves the P for all the work he did to win it. 27.Ba4 b5 28.Nxc4 Rxc4 29.Bxb5 material equality - whew....... 29...Bxb5 30.Rxb5 Ra4 31.Rc2 Kf7 Ben turns his attention now to winning my e6P 32.c4 Ke6 33.c5 Rc8 34.Kf1 Ra6 35.Ke2 Rxd6 I totally missed this little tactic.........I was only looking at Rac6. Ben goes up a P again. 36.Rb7 a6 37.a4 Rdc6 38.Rd2 R8c7 39.Rxc7 Rxc7 40.Rd6+ Kf5 Ben correctly goes forward to assist his centre pawn-push 41.Rxa6 Rxc5 42.Ra8 Rc2+ 43.Ke3 d5 I don't think I can hold this......... 44.g3 d4+ 45.Kf3 d3 46.g4+ Kg5 47.a5 d2 48.Ke2 Kxg4 Ben goes up 2 P's 49.h3+ Kxh3 Ben is up 3 P's 50.Rh8 h5 51.Rh6 d1Q+ 52.Kxd1 Rxf2 53.Rxg6 Ben is up 2 P's 53...Ra2 54.Rxf6 Rxa5 55.Rg6 Going to be hard to stop 2 passed P's. 55...h4 56.Ke2 Kh2 57.Ke3 h3 58.Ke4 Kh1 59.Rg3 h2 60.Rg6 Ra1 61.Kxe5 Ben is up a passed P on the 2nd rank.......and I cannot stop the queening..... 61...Rg1 62.Ra6 Kg2 63.Ra2+ Kg3

0–1

My Score

1/3 pts. - Win: 1 (Rd. 1); Losses: 2 (Rds. 2 & 3).

2.5/3 pts. - Junior Boy Harrison Liu (1744) – I lost in Rd. 2 – in a 4-way tie for third.

2/3 pts. - Junior Boy Benjamin Wu (1796) – I lost in Rd. 3.

1/3 pts. - Me (1534)

0/3 pts. - Nathaniel Brown (CFC – 1374; FIDE – 1753) – I won in Rd. 1.

Some History

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Bob's Blog

i) on my personal Facebook Account for my over 900 Fb friends from around the world (in English): https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235;
            ii) sometimes on the national Canadian English chess discussion board, Chess Talk [CT] (https://forum.chesstalk.com/…/chesstalk-canada-s-chess-disc…), now owned by Henry Lam;
            iii) occasionally on other chess websites, such as that of FQE (Province of Quebec's Chess Association). On the one occasion this was done, the blog was posted in both French and English.

i) on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat, under my own personal account - A Project of Chess Companions of Caissa (https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/);
            ii) my Scarborough CC tournaments Fb Blog to SCC's Fb Page (http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca/).
            iii) my Annex CC tournaments Fb blog to ACC's Fb Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/172335039452033/).

Henry Lam (Aka Dark Knight on CT), the owner of CT, and I have now done a first renewal of our “Henry/Bob Blog Agreement” (Original agreement - summer of 2018). Under it I agreed to re-post my Fb Chess Blogs on CT for both my chess club official tournaments, subject to the condition that interest did not wane to such an extent that it was no longer worth making the effort to do the blog. This has now happened re the Annex CC blog, and I am therefore no longer blogging those club tournaments. I also agreed to blog my non-club weekend (Sometimes longer; sometimes shorter) tournaments, in which I play between Summer 2019 and Summer 2020. Henry and I have a clause for consideration of annual renewal.

So, under this new agreement, I am now re-posting my blogs of my current Scarborough CC tournaments. My future non-club weekend blogs, to and including Summer 2020, will be (Given my current schedule - from time to time, though, my life schedule may change so that I fit in a tournament not on my schedule, or fail to play one that is intended):
            1. The 2019 Hart House Holidays Open – Toronto (Prior to Christmas – Dec. 13-5).

This year so far, I have managed to insert a game into the Fall – The Canadian International Open – Longueuil, Quebec (Oct. 11-3, 2019).

The Blog Focus

I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900, U 1800 or U 1700). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in the classes under 1900. And many of my class viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Players I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament, who then are mentioned in the Blog). So this adds a bit more interest for them.

I do also sometimes cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings; but I have to have been able to get the results before the Blog goes to press. For this section, of course, including it can be a matter of the time available (I am often doing my Blog in the wee hours of the morning).

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does during the day of club tournaments, and before and between rounds for weekend tournaments (A bit of a reality show - bits of my personal, though generally pretty ordinary, life).

I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do (E.g. - study, research opponents to prepare for them, etc.!). So one cannot generalize from what I do, to what other chess tournament players do.

Blog Feedback

I have had generally positive feedback on my blogging (I have done it for many, many years now, as some long-suffering viewers know), on both of my own Fb Accounts, the SCC & ACC Fb sites, and on CT.

It has been said that my writing style is easy to read, factual, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks to all those who have supported my Blogging on various sites, and kept encouraging me to continue all these years (I'm now working on year 75 (Not of blogging! LOL) – I do hope, as long as there is interest, to keep doing my blogs for many years yet).

Invitation

I am most happy to interact with readers re anything about which I have posted.....so react, comment, reply, post, etc. - both favourable comments and constructive criticism....I will do my best to respond to everyone, so long as I am where I have access to the internet.

And if some of the players, or non-players, wish to post something to supplement the blog, you are encouraged to do so.

TEMPLATE ENDS

Bob A

Comment

Rds. 4 & 5 - 19/12/15 (Sunday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 3 [Part I of 3 parts]
              (See Knight Logo below)

Tournament

Blog Note:

The Day of Rds. 4 & 5 (Dec. 15)

Sunday Morning

I awoke at 3:30 AM (!?). I had gone to bed at 10:00 PM on Saturday – close to my normal 6 hrs. at night (But often during weekend tournaments I sleep much shorter, and get substantially less).

Template Note:

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Victim of Routine

But what I do do, is I enter all my games, and annotate them, to try to learn something - Grandmasters do recommend this often. In addition, I integrate the opening (the first 10 moves) into an opening/defence tree I have for the opening/defence played. The value of this is pretty uncertain, given my inability to remember lines - but I do develop general impressions of how the opening can go.

My 35/25 System

TEMPLATE ENDS
              [Parts II & III below]

Bob A

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 3 [Part II of 3 parts; see Part I above]

Back to Sunday Morning

I got quite a bit of updating and posting done, since I had so much time to myself. But I pretty much worked on only my own projects this morning; sent some recipes out to friends for my better-half.

I didn't get to draft/post my Saturday Blog last night because I was too tired after the rounds – so I now went at drafting and posting it, while going back and forth on my other Fb projects.

I got everything done by 7:00 AM.

Then I started the draft Blog # 3 for Sunday.

My wife was watching movies by now in the bedroom, so I headed down to our guest room, to see if I might get in another 1 1/2 hrs. of sleep – I am a bit tired.

After my additional sleep, I then prepared to head out to Rd. 4.

Heading Out for Rds. 4 & 5

I left about 9:15 AM and headed for U of T by TTC.

Pre-Round 4

I got in and found the pairings were not yet up.

So I socialized a bit with the usual suspects – initially members of the World-Wise Lunch Club: Ken Kurkowski, Pino Verde, Toy Kwan, Mario Moran-Venegas and Undriadi Benggawan. We arranged again to go to lunch if enough of us finished early in Rd. 2. I have a terrible memory, so whatever else happened is gone (This is what happens if I don't scribble myself a few short notes for the Blogs).

Round 4

The round started a bit late. I was paired with white against Victor Samuel – I think I did a good job of destroying his Dutch Defence, sacking first a P, and then an N.....I think the game is pretty good, but Stockfish later usually strongly disagrees. You be the judge - the game is below.

Lunch

Undriadi, his friend from Mississauga CC, Rashid Mughal, Mario, Ken, Pino and I all finished early. We saw that Toy's game was still going to take a while, so those of us inside the hall decided eventually to head out to find a Chinese or Japanese restaurant over on Yonge Street. Undriadi and Rashid were outside awaiting the final decision – some had wanted to go to where we had lunch yesterday, but some wanted a change. So we wrote a note to call Mario's cell when Toy finished, and we'd give him the address so he could join us. Mario went to get Undriadi and Rashid outside, but they were gone. So our faction went for lunch and found a good Chinese restaurant.

But Toy never called. We found out later that when Toy finished, the Hart House staff were right on the job cleaning up the table and .........took the note! Toy went out into the hallway and lo and behold found Undriadi and Rashid there, still talking. Undriadi thought he had my cell phone number, so he called to see where we were. But he had my home land line – my wife answered. He asked where I was? She didn't know either, of course. Eventually she learned it was Undriadi calling (She hadn't met him personally yet), and they sorted out that no one knew where the Yonge Street faction of WWLC was! So the three of them went up to the Grill Restaurant on the third floor of Hart House for lunch.

Conversation was lively at our group and we discussed various topics other than just chess – chess players do have a life outside of chess ..... and even do talk to each other about such unimportant things (Chess still remaining the most important!).

Our faction then returned to the hall. It was a fair time 'til Rd. 5, so I sat at a table to just rest, with a few other WWLC'ers. It was then that we learned the sad lunch saga from the Hart House faction.

Rd. 5

I played Black against junior Joseph Liao. He blundered the exchange in the middle game, but then played well and then came up with a very creative draw position. The game is below.

Post-Rd. 5.

I watched games for a while in our section, and then settled in to watch the first board in our section, which was our last one to finish, and had a USA FIDE Master junior playing former Canadian Champion, Nikolay Noritsyn – there was quite a crowd watching the board, and others watching the demonstration board. The young American played well, defeated Nikolay and came first.

Mario and I talked to his father after the game, and found they were visiting from New York. We discussed the fact that a number of American players often come up from New York to Montreal for the Quebec Open in the summer. I am now friends with one of them and we always make it a point to get out for dinner.

Then I packed up my stuff and headed for home.

The Later Evening

When I got home my wife was still up and reading. We chatted a bit.

But I was then too tired to finish this Blog # 3, and left it to Monday morning (I will post it early).

My U 1900 Section Report - Rds. 4 & 5 - Sunday, Dec. 15/19.

Post-Rd. 5 (Final) – U 1900 Winners

There are 40 players in our section.

After Rd. 5 the winners are:

1st– 5/5 pts. (Won all games!) – Jurgen Allaj (1715).

2nd/4th- 4/5 pts. – Junior Boy Benjamin Wu (1796); Junior Boy Pramod Dahale (1717); Junior Girl Lucy Gao (1687).

My Round 4 Game

Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1534) – Samuel, Victor (1673) [A85]

Hart House Holidays Open (U 1900) (4), 15.12.2019

1.d4 e6 2.Nf3 f5 Dutch Defense 3.c4 Nf6 4.Qc2 Be7 5.Nc3 0–0 6.e4 The goal of this line is to open up the space in front of the Bl K for attacking roads. 6...fxe4 7.Nxe4 Nxe4 8.Qxe4 d5 9.Qc2 W wants the e6P there as long as possible, since the c8B does not get into the play. 9...c5 10.h4 I decided I could afford to sac a P to get one extra move for my attack. 10...cxd4 Victor goes up a P 11.Ng5 The N cannot be exchanged without opening up the h1R 11...Bb4+ 12.Kd1 The K is safe here, and the attack is not deflected. 12...g6 13.Nxh7 This is another point of h4 - pushing it to h5 gives Bl many problems if he has accepted the N-sac.....back to material equality. 13...d3 14.Bxd3 dxc4 15.Qxc4 15...Rxf2 saving the R. 16.Bg5 My attack is building 16...Be7 17.Bxe7 Qxe7 18.Qxc8+ Kxh7 Material equality, but the K has few defenders - look at a8 & b8. 19.h5 The whole key to this attack 19...Qd6 20.hxg6+ it is mate in one with Qh8 mate

1–0

[Part III below]

Bob A
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 16th December, 2019, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 3 [Part III of 3 parts; see Parts I & II above]

My Rd. 5 Game

Liao, Joseph (1743) – Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1534) [B06]

Hart House Holidays Open (U 1900) (5), 15.12.2019

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.f4 c6 a kind of Modern Defence/Wing Initiative 5.Nf3 b5 6.a3 a5 7.Be2 Bb7 8.0–0 b4 9.axb4 axb4 10.Rxa8 Bxa8 11.Nb1 Nf6 12.e5 dxe5 13.fxe5 Nd5 This N is somewhat of a monster sitting here in the middle, and not easy to kick. 14.c4 bxc3 I go up a P 15.e6 0–0 other lines seem much worse for me 16.bxc3 material equality 16...Qb6 17.Ba3 the position is now getting complicated, but this is just a blunder. 17...Ne3 I get a fork winning the exchange. But Joseph does have some play because his two B's become very strong. 18.Qc1 Nxf1 19.Qxf1 I am up the exchange. 19...fxe6 20.Bxe7 Rf7 21.Bc5 Qb2 I felt I needed to play actively since Joseph did have some threats. 22.Bc4 Rb7 I thought this saved me........but Joseph was very resourceful. 23.Bxe6+ I am up the exchange but Joseph has a P compensation. 23...Kh8 24.Ne5 This is problematic......as far as I could calculate, anything I did to try to avoid the continuous checking was likely a loss. 24...Qxb1 I offered a draw, since I cannot escape the perpetual (Or is it 3 times repetition?)

½–½

My Score

2.5/5 pts. - Wins: 2 (Rds. 1 & 4); Draw: 1 (Rd. 5); Losses: 2 (Rds. 2 & 3).

4/5 pts. - Junior Boy Benjamin Wu (1796) – I lost in Rd. 3; he ended in a 3-way tie for 2nd.

3.5/5 pts. - Junior Boy Harrison Liu (1744) – I lost in Rd. 2 – in a 4-way tie for third.

2.5/5 pts. - Junior Boy Joseph Liao (1743) – I drew in Rd. 5.

- Me (1534)

1/5 pts. - Victor Samuel (1673) – I won in Rd. 4.

- Nathaniel Brown (CFC – 1374; FIDE – 1753) – I won in Rd. 1.

Some History

TEMPLATE BEGINS

Bob's Blog

The Blog Focus

Blog Feedback

Invitation

TEMPLATE ENDS

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                  X