2020 Fitness Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Fitness Fund

It is the start of another new year, and I was wondering who else frets over making New Years Resolutions? One of my perennial resolutions is to lose weight. Well, another year, another failure. I started 2019 at 240 lbs, I did lose some during the year, but at my weigh-in yesterday, ended 2019 at 240 lbs. So frustrating. I really need to step up my exercise and diet efforts. The excess weight has certainly taken its toll in the form of chronic back pain and sleep apnea. As each year passes, the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, or stroke increases. Time to get serious.

2020 Fitness Fund.

I am setting my target weigh for 1 year from now to be 198 lbs. A loss of 42 lbs. I am encouraging you all to help motivate me by pledging money to my 2020 Fitness Fund. All pledged money will be returned in the form of extra prize money in chess tournaments in 2021.
    Pledges can be made by posting here or email me if you wish to remain anonymous. Pledges can be a fixed amount, or so much per lb, or restricted (at least 20 lbs), or whatever you want within reason.

Please help! I can’t seem to do it by myself.

Great idea Bob!

I am a year ahead of you, so my challenge this year is to keep it off! Today is my one year anniversary of boozelessness, which created some early weight loss momentum. That made it easier to eat a bit less and exercise a bit more. All the fad diets - proto keto mumbo jumbo are commercial enterprises. Just get your head around smaller portions - gradually. I only get to the gym about once per week, but I have a Blue Tick/ Beagle who takes me for a couple walks each day, typically about 10kms total.

Good luck my friend!

Comment

Hi Bob;
      I'd suggest you do brisk walking for 20 mins every day you have to sweat to burn calories. Or you can buy a stationary bike that you can ride at home while watching TV remember you have to peddle fast for at least 20 mins to have any effect. If you drink alot of pop or fruit juices you are adding on unwanted calories as well. Good luck with your weight loss. I'll donate 50 cents for every pound you lose within 3 months . If you lose less than 100 lbs I'll donate $1per pound within the 3 month period.

Comment

I'm the same weight as you but I'm not motivated to diet. I love pastries and crave them after exercise or even when I'm bored. I used to play sports but am bored by gyms. I walk alot. As we get older our metabolic rate changes. This year I've been taking protein powder which has increased my energy.

It seems the main problem is a mental struggle such as using food as a reward or to overcome a bad mood. Feeling really bad? Eat a whole container of ice cream. When one loses weight, the body sends a message to the brain to eat more. So mindfulness is important, being aware of why you want to eat, asking yourself is there any nutritional value in what you crave? Paying attention to each spoonful.

Some people (such as Oprah Winfrey) need the structured meals and peer pressure they get in Weight Watchers. I have a couple of friends who lost alot on the Keto diet (meat and veges). Many people are doing intermittent fasting (only can eat in a daily ten hour period such as 8am to 6pm, not 14 hours overnight). Bob has invented a new diet, the money motivation. But I think that you need higher pressure, such as Bob has to donate $1,000 each month to the CFC if his weight doesn't go down.

I found some interesting lists online:

from nhs.uk:
        1. Do not skip breakfast
        2. Eat regular meals
        3. Eat plenty of fruit and veg
        4. Get more active
        5. Drink plenty of water
        6. Eat high fibre foods
        7. Read food labels
        8. Use a smaller plate
        9. Do not ban foods
        10. Do not stock junk food
        11. Cut down on alcohol
        12. Plan your meals

from Goodhousekeeping.com:
        How to Lose 20 Pounds and Keep It Off for Good, According to Experts
        Don't lose more than 1-2 pounds per week:
        Eat something every 3-4 hours.
        Go big at breakfast.
        Think more produce, more often.
        Instead of eliminating carbs or sugar, choose more "whole" foods.
        Skip sugary drinks.
        Work your way into exercising 5 minutes at a time.
        Focus on aerobic workouts.
        Increase how much you move throughout the day.

from healthline.com
        Here are 10 easy ways to increase your metabolism:.
        Eat Plenty of Protein at Every Meal. Eating food can increase your metabolism for a few hours. ...
        Drink More Cold Water. ...
        Do a High-Intensity Workout. ...
        Lift Heavy Things. ...
        Stand up More. ...
        Drink Green Tea or Oolong Tea. ...
        Eat Spicy Foods. ...
        Get a Good Night's Sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          ... walk alot
          Do simuls :)

Comment

Thanks Hal. Seeing others succeed at weight loss helps the motivation. If he can do it, why not me? I ran into Rene at the Burlington club yesterday. He has lost weight also.

Thanks for the pledge John. I weighed in yesterday at 238 lbs. So, the Fitness Fund stands at $2.

Thanks Eric. Many words of wisdom in your post, but I am going to pass on the guess what!

Comment

Hi Bob:

A number of years ago, I weighed around 250lbs. I started a walking challenge at work and within 6 weeks, lost 15 pounds. I averaged between 15000 to 20000 steps on the days I worked and averaged over 25000 steps on my days off. It helped that it was summer. I am now down to 208lbs. I drink at least a liter of water a day and drink more on the days I work. I have eliminated white bread from my diet.

I had knee surgery two years ago and the pills I was on limited my appetite. The pants I bought just before my knee surgery are a little too big for me now. I have lost inches and hope to lose another 10 pounds by May 1st. I know that if I start to exercise more, I will be able to do that.

Good luck in your weight loss journey. It takes a little longer when we get a little older.

John Erickson

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post
                Hi Bob:

A number of years ago, I weighed around 250lbs. I started a walking challenge at work and within 6 weeks, lost 15 pounds. I averaged between 15000 to 20000 steps on the days I worked and averaged over 25000 steps on my days off. It helped that it was summer. I am now down to 208lbs. I drink at least a liter of water a day and drink more on the days I work. I have eliminated white bread from my diet.

I had knee surgery two years ago and the pills I was on limited my appetite. The pants I bought just before my knee surgery are a little too big for me now. I have lost inches and hope to lose another 10 pounds by May 1st. I know that if I start to exercise more, I will be able to do that.

Good luck in your weight loss journey. It takes a little longer when we get a little older.

John Erickson
                Thanks John for your motivating post. I've had 2 leg surgeries in the last 4 years (hamstring & knee) and the resulting less-than-full-mobility has been challenging, my weight slowly "inching up" (lol, accidental pun). I have noticed when TDing that if I just walk for hours, even really really slowly, well, I certainly don't GAIN any more weight. Anyway, I wanted to get from 215 to 170. 205 today.

Liking this thread!

Comment

Thanks John and Aris for inspiration. My weigh in yesterday was 235 lbs. Yes, excellent.

But I did buy muffins this week. Me bad. Damn you No Frills specials. $ 2.88 for 6 muffins. DOUBLE CHOCOLATE, how could I resist.
                  I did eat one immediately, then froze the rest. Only 1 so far has been liberated from its icy prison.
                  But I am strong? I barely hear their siren cries from the freezer.

Comment

You've really got to yield your hearing and short term memory, and or you're doomed!
                    Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
                    X