Photos from North Bay 1995 courtesy of Paul Leblanc

Larsen Hergott

Day vs Beckwith

Mayo, Gilbert, Urquhart, Leblanc

Livshits - Sophia Polgar

Szuza Polgar - Dougherty

Toshio Imai

Yermolinski - Ochkoos

Last edited by Roger Patterson; Sunday, 12th January, 2020, 02:57 PM. Reason: added larsen-hergott

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

I believe the person in the third picture, second from the left, is Gilbert Bernard.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I have one photo left from 1999 North Bay: me and a 12 year old Hikaru Nakamura. I think I'd heard he was the youngest US master in history, so decided to get a picture with him in case he made it big. At the time, our ratings were similar. Less so now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	naka.png Views:	0 Size:	337.9 KB ID:	204053

This picture was taken shortly before a beaver bit into the power lines and there was a total blackout mid-round.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          I...
          At the time, our ratings were similar. Less so now.
          LOL I wonder if he checks here on ChessTalk? I seem to recall a few posts from him a couple of years ago...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I have one photo left from 1999 North Bay: me and a 12 year old Hikaru Nakamura. I think I'd heard he was the youngest US master in history, so decided to get a picture with him in case he made it big. At the time, our ratings were similar. Less so now.

This picture was taken shortly before a beaver bit into the power lines and there was a total blackout mid-round.
            Your "less so now" line is great! I remember coming up late that year to watch, and in the blackout darkness, and my horrible sense of direction, I simply couldn't find anything that night lol

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	naka.png Views:	0 Size:	337.9 KB ID:	204053

I played him for the first time at the World Open in I think 2001. He was already well past me then. I also ran into him in Bermuda 2002 where I wound up in a 4 way tie for the U2200 prize with his brother. The tiebreak was a blitz RR at the closing ceremony in a bar after a few drinks. Hikaru was nominated to record the moves [for one side, someone else took the other] of the resulting high quality blitz games for posterity (and are in most databases). From my picture at the time, he looked a lot more like he does now than in your picture.

The four players in the blitz tiebreak: Standing behind me is Hikaru's father. Hikaru on the right. I'm on the back board on the left - my opponent with his head hidden is his brother who you can see better in the second picture.

Last edited by Roger Patterson; Thursday, 16th January, 2020, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  Standing behind me is Hikaru's father.
                  Ironically I played his dad in the North Bay tournament.

[Event "North Bay int."]
                  [Site "North Bay CAN"]
                  [Round "4"]
                  [Date "1999.8.5"]
                  [White "Weeramantry, Sunil"]
                  [Black "Ottosen, David"]
                  [WhiteElo "2252"]
                  [BlackElo "2114"]
                  [Result "1/2-1/2"]

1.e4 e6 2.Nc3 d5 3.d4 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Bd7 5.Nf3 Bc6 6.Bd3 Nd7 7.Qe2 Ngf6 8.Ng3 Be7 9.O-O O-O 10.Re1 Re8 11.a3 Bxf3 12.Qxf3 c5 13.dxc5 Nxc5 14.Bb5 Rf8 15.b4 Qb6 16.Bf1 Ncd7 17.c4 Rfc8 18.c5 Qc6 19.Qxc6 Rxc6 20.Bb5 Rcc8 21.Bg5 Kf8 22.Rad1 Nb8 23.f4 b6 24.Bxf6 gxf6 25.Ne4 bxc5 26.Rc1 Nc6 27.Nxc5 Nd4 28.Bd3 Bd6 29.Re4 Nf5 30.Nxe6+ fxe6 31.Rxc8+ Rxc8 32.Rxe6 Kf7 33.Bxf5 Rc1+ 34.Kf2 Bxf4 35.g3 Be5 36.Ra6 Bd4+ 37.Ke2 h6 38.Kd3 Bb6 39.a4 Rf1 40.Be4 Rd1+ 41.Kc3 Rc1+ 42.Kb3 Re1 43.a5 Bg1 44.Bd3 Re7 45.h3 h5 46.Rc6 Bf2 47.Rc3 Re3 48.g4 hxg4 49.hxg4 Rg3 50.Bc4+ Ke7 51.Rxg3 Bxg3 52.Bd3 Kd6 53.Kc4 Kc7 54.Kb5 Bf2 55.Be4 Bg1 56.Ka6 Bf2 57.Kb5 Bg1 58.Kc4 Bf2 59.b5 Bg1 60.b6+ axb6 61.a6 Kb8 62.Kb5 Ka7 63.Bd3 Bf2 64.Kc6 Bd4 65.Kd5 Ba1 1/2-1/2

I remember it for three reasons:

1) He was already sort of well known as an author
                  2) At that time, it wasn't that common for a player from Alberta to get to play an FM, so I was happy to get a result even if I did it by playing the embarrassing Fort Knox which I'd read about in Chesss Monthly earlier that year
                  3) Around the time control, he was quite short on time, while I had a substantial amount. However, Hikaru was in a very tense position or a time scramble of some sort a few boards away and my opponent was clearly distracted, trying to see what was going on. While it was my move, I got up and went to watch Hikaru's game so he could come watch it at the same time without worrying about flagging.

Comment

Ironically I played his dad in the North Bay tournament.

...snipped pgn

I remember it for three reasons:

1) He was already sort of well known as an author
                    2) At that time, it wasn't that common for a player from Alberta to get to play an FM, so I was happy to get a result even if I did it by playing the embarrassing Fort Knox which I'd read about in Chesss Monthly earlier that year
                    3) Around the time control, he was quite short on time, while I had a substantial amount. However, Hikaru was in a very tense position or a time scramble of some sort a few boards away and my opponent was clearly distracted, trying to see what was going on. While it was my move, I got up and went to watch Hikaru's game so he could come watch it at the same time without worrying about flagging.
                    #3 - a nice gesture David.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

#3 - a nice gesture David.
                      agree, those things warm you for life

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	naka.png Views:	0 Size:	337.9 KB ID:	204053

beaver biting out the power lines? I think thats the most Canada thing to ever Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X