My Friend IA Shohreh Bayat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Friend IA Shohreh Bayat

Shohreh is the Chief Arbiter at the Women's World Championship Match. She is Iranian. A photo from the match which appeared to show her without her scarf made its way into the Iranian media. She fears that she will be arrested if she returns to Iran so she is not going home. Tragic!

I had the pleasure of working with Shohreh in Kazan at the Women's Candidates and more recently we delivered a FIDE Arbiters' Seminar to 23 participants from 15 countries. We were thrilled with the diversity of the class and she was most happy to see an Israeli among the students.

She will likely have to seek asylum somewhere. I would be thrilled if Canada could be her new home but we are not exactly a global chess hot spot so Europe would make more sense. My hopes and prayers are with my good friend.
    Last edited by Hal Bond; Thursday, 16th January, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Wonderful post, Hal!! Thanks very much!

Comment

Thanks Hal, positive energy is invaluable. The world needs to calm down.

Comment

I thought I recognized her from the seminar. Please send her my best wishes.

Comment

BBC Radio 4 about this issue: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d7j9

I am about to listen to the discussion (looks like about 45 min altogether) ...

Edit: interview starts about 1:00min in ... goes to about 09:02 or so.
          Last edited by Kerry Liles; Friday, 17th January, 2020, 02:46 PM.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

My Friend IA Shohreh Bayat

January 17, 2020

The story is covered in The Bangkok Post and there is a photo, which supposedly shows the serious infraction.

Part of the article at that site:

VLADIVOSTOK, Russia: An Iranian chess referee who has been accused of violating her country’s Islamic dress code while adjudicating a women’s tournament says she does not want to return home from Russia out of fear for her safety. Shohreh Bayat, 32, told Reuters she would not travel back to Iran unless she was given security guarantees in writing from the country’s chess federation.

“I really hope they will provide me something to ensure I will be safe if I come back to Iran,” said Bayat, who is in Vladivostok as chief referee at the Women’s World Chess Championship. “But if that doesn’t happen, I’m just examining my options and considering anything.”

The Iran Chess Federation could not immediately be reached for comment. Bayat got into trouble during the first stage of the championship in Shanghai last week when Iranian state media criticised her for photographs in which she appeared not to be wearing a hijab. Bayat says she does not agree with the hijab, but that she had been wearing a headscarf during the championship’s first matches, although it had been loose and was not visible from some angles in photographs of her.

“Apparently it was not enough for the Iranians,” she said. Bayat also said that the Iran Chess Federation had asked her to write an apology and to post it online, something she said she had refused to do because she did not want to support the hijab publicly. “I just did not want to do that,” she said. Bayat then stopped wearing a headscarf altogether while presiding over subsequent matches. “I noticed that they have already condemned me,” she said. “I decided not to wear hijab because it won’t change anything.”

Nigel Short, the International Chess Federation vice-president, spoke out in support of Bayat on Twitter, calling her “a great ambassador for her country”.

Bayat is one of many Iranian sportspeople to come to blows with the authorities over the hijab and other policies. Earlier this month, Iranian chess grandmaster Mitra Hejaziour was expelled from the national team for not wearing the hijab at the World Rapid and Blitz Championship in Moscow.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...le-over-attire

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments. Shohreh is a rising star with true grit - an inspiring figure. She could have grovelled to her government but she opted to stand by her principles. I think FIDE should be more vocal in their support of her. She is a great ambassador for FIDE and for the Iranian people. She is scheduled to work the Altibox Norway event this year, and most likely the Olympiad in Moscow.

Comment

Working...
              X