MonRoi and similar devices....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MonRoi and similar devices....

The latest issue of "Chess Life" mentions that in major (US) scholastic events, players will have to use the supplied scoresheets - no electronic devices and (presumably) no personal scorebooks. This eliminates the use of MonRoi and the like "except for those with accessibility issues" I haven't seen a MonRoi in use in a Montreal event in several months - the last player I saw using it gave it up around then. The MonRoi site is still up - advertising the devices - but you can only "reserve" them (you can't "buy" them). Their databank (of MonRoi-assisted games) ends in July, 2019, with the last few tournaments coming from India. .

Have you seen any recent usage of them in your area?

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The latest issue of "Chess Life" mentions that in major (US) scholastic events, players will have to use the supplied scoresheets - no electronic devices and (presumably) no personal scorebooks. This eliminates the use of MonRoi and the like "except for those with accessibility issues" I haven't seen a MonRoi in use in a Montreal event in several months - the last player I saw using it gave it up around then. The MonRoi site is still up - advertising the devices - but you can only "reserve" them (you can't "buy" them). Their databank (of MonRoi-assisted games) ends in July, 2019, with the last few tournaments coming from India. .

Have you seen any recent usage of them in your area?
    I can think of one person who still uses one but they are not very much used. Truthfully, there were never very many of them around.

Comment

One of the challenges with electronic scoresheets is that there's multiple brands, some are even refurbished otherwise regular cell phones, and so there's always some opponent, or some opponent's parent, who complains that they're being used to cheat. That can become an enormous headache, especially in bigger playing areas, such as the major US scholastic events.

Comment

I had always felt the Monroi was quite high price (perhaps overpriced) especially considering it was/is a single purpose device. Aris' point about policing all electronic devices is of course a very good point and not something that was just discovered - when the Monroi was introduced one of the selling points is that it *was* single purpose and therefore not really subject to scrutiny. A simple move recording app for any phone would be simple but enforcing no-cheating would be nearly impossible on a standard cell phone. I record my games on the paper scoresheet and later use an app on my (Android) phone to capture the moves and create a .pgn file.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I just came across a list of top chess blogs and Monroi is number 80.

https://blog.feedspot.com/chess_blogs/

But Elevate My Chess is listed at 41 and Chess Manitoba 54. Goddesschess 32 has some Canadian content. No chessbrahs.

A long list of individual bloggers is also at https://www.chess.com/blog/authors

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            I just came across a list of top chess blogs and Monroi is number 80.
            ]
            There were 2 posts in 2019 on the MonRoi blog - both in last April. Maybe they could only find 80 chess blogs?

And it seems that many of the blogs are simply copy/pastes from other chess sites and/or they have been inactive for months/years.
            Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Friday, 17th January, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Monroi had an agreement with FIDE which kept them legal but that agreement expired and they are no longer legal in FIDE events. This was what I was told by a USCF tournament director at the end of November. I was allowed to use my Monroi at the Canadian Open in Quebec in 2018 because that agreement was still in force. Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                Monroi had an agreement with FIDE which kept them legal but that agreement expired and they are no longer legal in FIDE events. This was what I was told by a USCF tournament director at the end of November. I was allowed to use my Monroi at the Canadian Open in Quebec in 2018 because that agreement was still in force. Too bad.
                By rules the original scoresheet is a property of the organizer. The personal Monroi can not satisfy this requirement. As I recall Monroi was not showing the full scoresheet all the time -- no no for the current rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  There is a new device, that I use at CCA tournaments, where you just click on the piece you are moving and then click to the square you are moving it to. I think it was called Caissa, but Aris should know as he was the director at that tournament. Much faster and easier to use than Monroi device, also arguably faster than pen and paper, but I did not get into any time scrambles. After the game, I was given a printed scoresheet of my game by a director. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

There is a new device, that I use at CCA tournaments, where you just click on the piece you are moving and then click to the square you are moving it to. I think it was called Caissa, but Aris should know as he was the director at that tournament. Much faster and easier to use than Monroi device, also arguably faster than pen and paper, but I did not get into any time scrambles. After the game, I was given a printed scoresheet of my game by a director. Very cool.
                    Was it one of these?

The following electronic scorekeeping devices meet the above requirements for an electronic scoresheet and are approved for use during US Chess rated games: As of November 19, 2019 this is the list of approved electronic scoresheets.

MonRoi Personal Chess Manager. http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/repo...esheets/MonRoi-cert1.pdf

DGT Projects Electronic Chessboard (current model, April 2006 or later); conditional: If the DGT chessboard is interfaced to a computer for display or transmittal purposes, that computer must be under the direct control or supervision of the event organizer or tournament director.

eNotate by North American Chess Association www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/eNotate-cert1.pdf

Plycount LLC, Plycounter® www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/Plycounter-cert1.pdf

ChessNoteЯ by Black Mirror Studio, LLC, www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessNoteЯ-cert1.pdf

ChessKast Chess Game Broadcasting System (ChessKast must be furnished by the organizer to be used in a US Chess event.)http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessKast_approval_letter_from_US_Chess.pdf

ChessNoteR-Nexus9http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessNoteR-Nexus9-Approval-17Nov2019.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Was it one of these?

The following electronic scorekeeping devices meet the above requirements for an electronic scoresheet and are approved for use during US Chess rated games: As of November 19, 2019 this is the list of approved electronic scoresheets.

MonRoi Personal Chess Manager. http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/repo...esheets/MonRoi-cert1.pdf

DGT Projects Electronic Chessboard (current model, April 2006 or later); conditional: If the DGT chessboard is interfaced to a computer for display or transmittal purposes, that computer must be under the direct control or supervision of the event organizer or tournament director.

eNotate by North American Chess Association www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/eNotate-cert1.pdf

Plycount LLC, Plycounter® www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/Plycounter-cert1.pdf

ChessNoteЯ by Black Mirror Studio, LLC, www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessNoteЯ-cert1.pdf

ChessKast Chess Game Broadcasting System (ChessKast must be furnished by the organizer to be used in a US Chess event.)http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessKast_approval_letter_from_US_Chess.pdf

ChessNoteR-Nexus9http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/eScoresheets/ChessNoteR-Nexus9-Approval-17Nov2019.pdf
                      None of those look familiar. John Haskell from Boca Raton, Florida is the person who handles the devices for CCA tournaments. For some reason googling it, it does not come up. I will ask at the Southwest Championship in Dallas in a few weeks or I will ask him after I get his next 'push email'.

Comment

MonRoi and similar devices..

January, 23, 2020

In an email from the U.S. Chess Federation today:

Removal of eNotate from the US Chess List of Certified Electronic Notation Devices (ENDs)

Effective immediately, the US Chess Federation (US Chess) announces that the eNotate chess software, used by some players to record chess notation on an Axim X51, Dell X51, and other compatible Pocket PCs or PDAs, has been removed from US Chess' list of certified means of electronic notation. Unlike other ENDs currently certified by US Chess, the Axim and Dell Palm PC/PDA (and other compatible devices) have the capability to load and directly run third-party, chess-engine software. The eNotate software does not prevent this from happening. More importantly, the standards specified in the US Chess END certification program have evolved to the point where the risk to fair play presented by eNotate -enabled platforms is unacceptable to the integrity of US Chess-rated tournaments. This announcement does not affect the Electronic Device Policy for National Events organized by US Chess published in September 2019.

https://new.uschess.org/news/electro...ized-us-chess/

For additional information and a list of FAQs, please see here:

https://new.uschess.org/news/removal...-devices-ends/

Comment

Working...
                        X