• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sign of the Times

A Sign of the Times

February 3, 2020

On the Facebook page of Oksana Guseva:

This kind information came from Vietnam. I planned to fly with my son to the tournament.

Viet Nam Chess Federation (VCF) is extremely sorry to inform the participants of the HDBank Chess Tournament 2020 about the global health emergency condition according to the WHO announcement and the coronavirus (2019-nCoV) epidemic declaration of the Vietnam Prime Minister, VCF would like to announce the suspension of registration for the tournament and suggest that players temporarily do not purchase tickets to Tan Son Nhat airport (SGN) during the tournament from March 5th, 2020. We will officially announce the status of the tournament after February 10th, 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/10000468673...8544157978461/

The 10th HDBank Cup International Chess Tournament was to be held from March 5th to March 13th, 2020 in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam.

http://www.vietnamchess.vn/index.php...tions-hdbank10

A Sign of the Times

February 4, 2020

Posted today:

Ian Rogers (tweet) - The two Chinese players in the upcoming Candidates tournament - the event which finds a challenger to World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen - Ding Liren and Wang Hao, have been asked to arrive in Russia 14 days early and sit out the quarantine period.

Evidently Rogers got a denial from FIDE and this plea:

(FIDE) - In any case, please feel free to contact us, anytime, at press@fide.com to verify any information – as a few journalists did after reading your tweet. Fact-checking is one of the principles of professional journalism.

Ian Rogers (tweet) - This is the second time a FIDE employee has asked me for a retraction or correction of an accurate report. The first time was when I reported for LiChess on the $500 buy-in possibility at the World Cup for players arriving late.

Ian Rogers (tweet) - The other difficulty for the players representing China at the upcoming Candidates tournament in Ekaterinburg is that they likely need a special service passport for official travel, and bureaucracy is running slowly in China at the moment.

Ian Rogers (tweet) - I put that information in multiple subsequent tweets. All FIDE had to do if they were worried was reply saying that request had not come from them. Instead they slander me.

http://www.chess-news.ru

Comment

A Sign of the Times

February 5, 2020

FIDE has given some clarification as to what the Chinese grandmasters were asked (not ordered):

The Chinese participants in the tournament were carefully asked if they would like to arrive in Russia early.

In response to a message from Ian Rogers on Twitter, FIDE publishes the text of a letter that legal adviser Alexander Martynov sent to Ding Liren and Wang Hao.

Good afternoon, dear GM Ding Liren and GM Wang Hao.

First of all, I wold like to remind you about contract and ask you to sign them within a week.

Secondly, in connection with the latest news about the disease in China, we would ask you to answer the following questions as urgently as possible:

1. Do you have a valid Russian visa?
      2. How is your health status and general situation in the area where you live?
      3. Have you already purchased tickets to Yakaterinburg and on what dates
      4. Do you consider the possibility about an earlier arrival in Russia?

Peter Doggers is a good chess journalist. In chess.com he has just written an article entitled:

Coronavirus Affecting Chinese Candidates Preparations

https://www.chess.com/news/view/coro...ess-candidates

An extract from that article:

As it turns out, the situation is also affecting the two Chinese participants in the upcoming Candidates Tournament.

Ding is currently preparing at home in Wenzhou, where he lives with his parents. The coastal city in the southeastern Zhejiang province has nine million inhabitants; an estimated 300 people are currently hospitalized there with the virus.

On Sunday the city government has restricted the movement of residents and closed roads, even though the city is located 800 km away from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus.

Ding hasn't been outside his apartment building for three days now. "Today I went downstairs and walked around in the building, but I didn't go into the street. For that, you need to inform the building manager and your temperature will be measured."

The 27-year-old grandmaster, who is considered to be one of the favorites to win the tournament (which would earn him the right to challenge World Champion Magnus Carlsen in a title match), says he had to cancel some of his plans to prepare.

"I was planning to train together with my seconds. Now we connect through the internet," he said, adding that it's "not a big deal."

Top grandmasters are used to being in touch with their assistants online all the time, but there's an added value to seeing them in person, especially when preparing for such an important event. Ding is taking it lightly, saying the situation "doesn't make it harder" to prepare.

The organizer of The Candidates has denied asking the players to come to Russia 14 in advance and stay in quarantine.

Some readers are therefore criticizing Ian Rogers for stating this:

- Why is Ian Rogers insisting on his fake news? Even Ding Liren and Wang Hao themselves debunked it.

- This is not good news for Ding's chances of winning the Candidates. He really needs to focus on chess right now, not viruses, Russian visas and FIDE issues. :/

- It’s still over a month until the candidates starts, hope the situation gets better and not worse as it would be a crying shame if Wang Hao and/or Ding Liren could not participate after earning their qualification through such hard work.

Comment

Working...
      X