Cairns Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cairns Cup

Some very exciting battles today round 2. I enjoyed seeing Gunina - Kosteniuk. What a slugfest! Mariya Mucyzk played an inspiring checkmating attack and Katerina Lahno also delivered a spectacular attack. Irina Krush missed the tactic of the week (or mabe it was too complex for human consumption - I dont know - I love knight play) Anyways lovely games, just lovely. I know the crowd was pleased.

Kosteniuk won three pieces for the queen but the computer rated it plus 2 for her opponent. Very hard to play though. I admired Kosteniuk's counterattacking play.

Comment

I dont understand the tactics in the Koneru game, easy to go wrong.

Comment

Im still watching and enjoying the Cairns Cup. Carissa Yip is playing enterprising chess after being written off after her 0-4 start. Two entertaining wins in a row. Its also nice to see two great endgame players Koneru and Ju Wenjun in the lead. I particularly enjoy the Count's Corner with Christian Chirilla.

Comment

Carissa Yip has brought the house down. She beat Ju Wenjun with a fighting comeback, (she was down -1) in the early middlegame in the penultimate round, and knocks Ju Wenjun out of any chance of first prize.

Comment

A mark of how competitive the field is - Valentina Gunina last years winner will finish last this year.

Comment

Humpy Koneru took a last round draw guaranteeing her at least a tie for first.

Comment

Humpy Koneru won the Cairns Cup, a surprising change of the guard. All the early favorites slipped back due to the competitiveness of the field and tough losses. Koneru has a quiet strategic style and wins most of her games in the endgame.

Comment

Working...
                X