Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

What does the term 'window-ledging' mean in chess?

"You'll also learn about such cunning swindling motifs as the Trojan Horse, the Decoy Trap, the Berserk Attack, and ‘Window-Ledging’.

- David Smerdon, 'The Complete Chess Swindler...'
    Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 18th February, 2020, 07:26 PM.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Question

February 18, 2020

See: https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...-quotes/page38

From a selection of sample pages from The Complete Chess Swindler by David Smerdon on the New In Chess site:

CHAPTER 13

Window-Ledging

You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where two plus two equals five, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one. – Mikhail Tal

We’ve seen how a Trojan Horse exploits impatience, the Decoy Trap exploits hubris and a Berserk Attack exploits fear. Only a creative name will do to describe the tool to exploit Kontrollzwang.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of one. But a friend of mine, a fiction author, came to my rescue. In many a classic action film with sword- fighting, the weaker swordsman, facing imminent death, climbs out onto a precarious window ledge. The implication for the dominant swordsman is clear: follow into a terrain where risk, uncertainty and deadly perils are rife for both, or give up the pursuit – and with it the advantage.

That’s the idea of Window-Ledging that I want to convey in this chapter. Our opponent is cruising towards victory, completely in control. We need to change the environment into one where both sides can easily slip up. We need complexity; we need complications. We need chaos.

https://www.newinchess.com/media/wys...t_pdf/9101.pdf

Comment

Thanks, Wayne, for clarifying that. I did look up the Urban Dictionary's definition of 'window-ledging' and was pretty sure (hopeful?) that it was NOT what David Smerdon had in mind. :)
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
      X