Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID19 and Ches Ovation

Hello, dear chessfriends!

We want to inform chess players that they can register for our tournaments with confidence. In case of cancellation of a tournament, all registrations for this tournament will be refunded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our next 3 tournaments are:

The «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», May 8-9-10 in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec; 3000$ based on 75 paid entries or more;

The «Sherbrooke OPEN», May 29-30-31 in Sherbrooke, Quebec; 3500$ based on 70 paid entries or more;

The «Quebec OPEN», July 25 -31 in Longueuil, Quebec; 10000$ based on 190 paid entries or more, 5000$ garanteed;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version  Name:	Conception sans titre (93).jpg Views:	73 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	205007
    Sylvain Courtemanche
    Last edited by Sylvain Courtemanche; Thursday, 12th March, 2020, 10:11 PM.

Are you a boor or an idiot?

Comment

Can you please develop?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
        don't feel going around chesstalk telling people to close their tournaments and attacking them personally is productive

Comment

It was only yesterday that the Ontario Ministry of Education, an organization with some high-priced talent plus responsibility for the education and well being of roughly two million children, announced their interim measure for dealing with coronavirus. And it was only this week that North American professional sports leagues announced their plans. The first of the tournaments advertised by Sylvain is almost two months away and the third tournament is more than four months away. Surely people can allow Sylvain/his team some time to arrive at their decisions with respect to coronavirus without being rude and insensitive.

Plus, Thomson, it surprises me that you found time to post here. I thought a boorish idiot like you would be out 'panic-buying' toilet paper.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvain Courtemanche View Post
            Can you please develop?
            Are you a boor or an idiot, or both?

Comment

Are you a boor or an idiot, or both?
              Mr. Thomson, I never open a debate based on insults. If you think it is worth discussing with you, you first need to make the first move. You are White, and I am Black.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», May 8-9-10 in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec; 3000$ based on 75 paid entries or more;

The «Sherbrooke OPEN», May 29-30-31 in Sherbrooke, Quebec; 3500$ based on 70 paid entries or more;

The «Quebec OPEN», July 25 -31 in Longueuil, Quebec; 10000$ based on 190 paid entries or more, 5000$ garanteed;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version  Name:	Conception sans titre (93).jpg Views:	73 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	205007
              Sylvain Courtemanche

Comment

Sylvain, I apologize for my insulting comments and refer you to my answer to Hugh Brodie on another thread.

Comment

Sylvain, I apologize for my insulting comments and refer you to my answer to Hugh Brodie on another thread.
                  Mr. Thomson,

The closest chess event in time that I am promoting will take place in almost 2 months from now. It could be that it is going to be cancelled, or maybe not. In case of cancellation, as mentionned in my post, we would refund everybody. I do not think there is any problem with such a policy. What we tell people is: «Hey!? There is a crisis right now but still, if you consider signing up and pay less for an event that will happen in 2 months, then do it with trust. And if we are still in the same state of emergency in 2 months from now, then money back and no tournament.»

I am allowing myself to make a profit out of each and every tournament that I promote and organize. This is no secret. On the other hand, I have to handle the risk that things may turn bad which, in turn, would make me / my organization lose money. That is because when one creates / organizes a chess tournament of a certain importance, one needs to:

1) put some money down to reserve rooms and some facilities;
                  2) buy advertisings in some webzines, Facebook and here on Chesstalk;
                  3) print some nice color posters, and so on.

I just cannot see how I can be refunded for this. We, like anyone else organizing, make people play chess while we are the only ones dealing with risk. Personnaly, I will accept any constructive comment that might render our chess tournaments more enjoyable to the players, more fun. But I will not accept that someone criticizes the way we handle the risk.

Sylvain Courtemanche

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvain Courtemanche View Post

Mr. Thomson,

The closest chess event in time that I am promoting will take place in almost 2 months from now. It could be that it is going to be cancelled, or maybe not. In case of cancellation, as mentionned in my post, we would refund everybody. I do not think there is any problem with such a policy. What we tell people is: «Hey!? There is a crisis right now but still, if you consider signing up and pay less for an event that will happen in 2 months, then do it with trust. And if we are still in the same state of emergency in 2 months from now, then money back and no tournament.»

I am allowing myself to make a profit out of each and every tournament that I promote and organize. This is no secret. On the other hand, I have to handle the risk that things may turn bad which, in turn, would make me / my organization lose money. That is because when one creates / organizes a chess tournament of a certain importance, one needs to:

1) put some money down to reserve rooms and some facilities;
                    2) buy advertisings in some webzines, Facebook and here on Chesstalk;
                    3) print some nice color posters, and so on.

I just cannot see how I can be refunded for this. We, like anyone else organizing, make people play chess while we are the only ones dealing with risk. Personnaly, I will accept any constructive comment that might render our chess tournaments more enjoyable to the players, more fun. But I will not accept that someone criticizes the way we handle the risk.

Sylvain Courtemanche
                    Merci Sylvain

- for taking the initiative
                    - for accepting and managing the risk
                    - for promoting chess

Kerry Liles
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hello everyone,

This is an important message for anyone wishing to play slow LIVE chess games during the COVID-19 period, and even beyond. Chess Ovation is founding a slow LIVE chess league with games at 45|mate + 45sec and 90|mate + 30sec. Round 1 of the very first tournament will take place Sunday, March 22 @ 00:00EDT - saturday, March 28 @ 23:59EDT. More details in the thread.

Our next 3 physical tournaments are:

Sylvain Courtemanche

Comment

Working...
                      X