Wondering about future of two large upcoming chess events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about future of two large upcoming chess events

With the worldwide spread of COVID-19, the recent cancellation / postponement of major league, college and world championship sports, and direction on banning gatherings of 250+ people in Ontario, I am wondering about the future of two large upcoming events.
    Specifically, the 2020 Easter Sectionals / Women's Zonal in Kingston (I had hoped to play), and the 2020 Ontario High School Championships, planned for Toronto April 3-4 (I am set to be an Arbiter).
    Since public schools in Ontario are now to be closed for two weeks after next week's March Break, taking the closure into the period for the OHSCC, it would seem logical to postpone or cancel that event, as teachers are its main organizers.
    Concerning the Kingston events, organized on behalf of the CFC, is CFC leadership debating these considerations, and when can people have a decision?
    All Canadian chess players would like to see these events take place. But, we are now living in a different world with the World Health Organization's announcement this week of a pandemic around this virus.
    Best wishes to everyone,
    Frank Dixon, NTD, Kingston

I have been connected with Public Health leadership in Kingston.
    We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation on an ongoing basis.
    This seems grim, but the event retains the chance to happpen.
    If/when we cancel, then of course all payments will be refunded.
    I am already drowning in emails, texts, phone calls. Please wait.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis, Chief Organizer, KEC.

Comment

Working...
    X