Canadian Open 2020: some ideas to make it happen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    If you are going to have players with masks and Gloves. It will be trouble..
    there might even be problems with using shared bathrooms

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
      If you are going to have players with masks and Gloves. It will be trouble. I don't know how many of you have to wear a mask for long periods of time but I can tell you long periods of time wearing one they get hot they get itchy and gloves can get sweaty. They would not be ideal for long chess games OTB. also they get touched far more when you wear them long times. they would be nightmares for juniors. And frankly they are hard to breathe through for prolonged times. You cannot just lift them up to drink beverages because they have to be readjusted. I think it would be a epidemic in the making. I'm still on the front lines in the grocery store. If you need water drink tap water. Just don't come out for one item. You are very foolish. That one stupid trip could cost you your life. Stay Safe.
      To my mind you are absolutely right John. I cannot see how it would be a pleasant experience to be wearing a mask and gloves for +/- 4 hours for each game, . Being arm's length away from others, coughing, sneezing, shared bathrooms (try to imagine the logistics!). Chess tournaments with hundreds of participants are a prime breeding ground for transmission of this virus. Can't see how I would be able to concentrate and enjoy the game. It is just not worth the trouble and the health risk. Let's also not forget that many of our brethren are in, or near, the high risk age category (60+). As much as I love the game, I would pass on any events until we get this thing seriously under control. As John said "stay safe".

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Frangakis View Post

To my mind you are absolutely right John. I cannot see how it would be a pleasant experience to be wearing a mask and gloves for +/- 4 hours for each game, . Being arm's length away from others, coughing, sneezing, shared bathrooms (try to imagine the logistics!). Chess tournaments with hundreds of participants are a prime breeding ground for transmission of this virus. Can't see how I would be able to concentrate and enjoy the game. It is just not worth the trouble and the health risk. Let's also not forget that many of our brethren are in, or near, the high risk age category (60+). As much as I love the game, I would pass on any events until we get this thing seriously under control. As John said "stay safe".
        good post Evan

Comment

What about the garden size chess sets -- add more weight to them and whop -- the Olympic sport :)
          There will be time to clean your hands, the opponent is far away.

Comment

If 8-foot folding tables could be used for games, with one game per table, with the players sitting at diagonal ends, and the board and clock in the middle, that would cover the 2-metre separation between people. Players would move to the centre of the table to make their moves, and press the clock. A longer time control could make up for the increased time and awkwardness of the situation. This scenario requires more space for the event site, since normally two games would be located at each 8-foot table. Just some ideas!

Note that Ontario Premier Doug Ford has just announced that his government is considering regional re-openings on a differential scale, across the province. He reacted angrily to a letter from Kingston's mayor a few weeks ago, suggesting this very concept. But the reality is that many regions of Ontario are virtually free of active cases, while metro Toronto and other larger cities are still burdened with thousands of active cases.

Comment

Again, not saying we should do that but recently (as of May 23rd), sports in Iceland for U16 was re-allowed back without any restriction. So chess tournaments for kids are up and running as if nothing ever happened !!

Comment

It is possible to do the Canadian Open and CYCC online. However, we need to figure out a way to deal with potential cheating. If you have ideas based on what is happening on the world stage, please let us know. We will be happy to explore.

For now, we want to first experiment with organizing a few rapid and classical tournament so we can get some experience doing this. I'm now looking at what other Federations and organizations around the world are doing so we can learn from them. If you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Shoot me an email to ken@elevatemychess.com

Comment

Working...
                X