CFC Making Modest Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Making Modest Progress

There is always a lot of criticism of the CFC, much of which is deserved, and skepticism about its future.

But last year the CFC made lots of hard decisions on restructuring the CFC, and have now given us some financial breathing room.

As well, I think some acknowledgement should be given to the current administration's modest steps forward in the 2 months since the July AGM:

1. captain and coach named for the WYCC team;
    2. e-newsletter editor in place, and first Issue due in 2 1/2 wks;
    3. executive working on a revised surplus budget ( first in 5 years );
    4. attempting to contact the Masters' Rep, Governor Eddie Urquhart, to develop some National Standards for the Closed, to be part of bids;
    5. Eric today struck an " AGM Committee " to modernize our AGM voting/meetings, and to hopefully do away with the proxy system;
    6. getting our office outsourcing contractor, EK Gillin, onto the website virus thing in a timely fashion;
    7. CFC Youth Committee of organizers across the country struck by Michael Barron to oversee CFC's youth programs; and
    8. ratings continue to be updated in good time, and memberships renewed when sent in.

The CFC is far from perfect, but I think members have some reason to be optimistic that CFC matters will progress in reasonable fashion in the coming year.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 4th September, 2009, 04:52 PM.

Re: CFC Making Modest Progress or perhaps more than modest

Hi Bob

Perhaps the only progress that one can make is baby steps. Usually, a president is given a honeymoon period of 100 days.

Accomplishments after 60 days :

1) Maurice Smith has updated the CFC handbook with help from EKG's Gerry Litchfield.
    2) WYCC arrangements have been finalized,much of the work done by Michael Barron and EKG's Gerry Litchfield. Michael was able to get Artem Samsonkin as coach, who is volunteering his coaching hours. The president contacted prospective candidates and appointed Andrie Botez as Head of Delegation/Team Captain. These arrangements are complicated and time consuming.
    3) In response to lessons learned from 2009 WYCC, the prez constituted a Youth Committee chaired ably by Michel Barron.
    4) The prez constituted AGM Committee to deal with electronic meetings and voting.
    5) The prez worked with John Coleman to garner a 2010 CYCC bid that has already been approved by the Governors.
    6) A solicitation was done for Newsletter Editor, and the Executive approved Tony Ficzere. The prez was able to get Kevin Spraggett as a contributor.
    7) The VP, Stijn De Kerpel manages the office activities working with EKG's Patrick Smale and Gerry Litchfield. The VP reacted quickly to deal with website troubles.
    8) The prez, the VP, and the FIDE representative, Hal Bond, met with FIDE Treasurer, Nigel Freeman with arrangements by Gordon Ritchie.
    9) The prez, the VP met with Russian delegation regarding Pan-Asian games.
    10) The prez travelled from Ottawa to attend opening ceremonies of 2009 Canada Closed and Zonal in Guelph.
    11) Michael Barron along with Toronto committee are working on a formal bid for 2010 Canada Open.
    12) Hal Bond will be attending the FIDE meeting as our representative and as zonal president to support our status a a zonal.
    13) The prez typed up minutes for 2009 CFC AGM. The secretary,Lyle Craver has published 2009 Governor's Letter.
    14) Budget deliberations with executive are continuing. A number of items need to be re-allocated because of unforeseen expenses, for example the website.
    15) I am in the process of constituting a fund raising committee, chaired by myself. Gary Gladstone has already volunteered. I need to follow up with a number of prospective members.

Perhaps when one is outside looking in, progress seems modest, but when one is on the inside maintaining present programs and beginning new projects, it seems like a lot of work. Again, I want to thank the CFC Executive, CFC Governors, chess parents, chess volunteers, FEN, and EK Gillin (EKG) for all of their hard work to promote chess in Canada.

Eric Van Dusen
    CFC President

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Van Dusen View Post
      14) Budget deliberations with executive are continuing. A number of items need to be re-allocated because of unforeseen expenses, for example the website.
      I forsaw this... guess you guys just ripped up my budget? :p
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Eric:

Thanks for expanding the " modest " progress list. As you say, it is somewhat more than " modest ". I'm glad you posted - it is important for members to know what the CFC is doing - it counters the skeptical perception that " CFC accomplishes zilch ".

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob

Perhaps the only progress that one can make is baby steps. Usually, a president is given a honeymoon period of 100 days.

Accomplishments after 60 days : (... )
          Dear Erik,

I see with some disappointment nothing in your list about the World Cup 2009. Are you aware that by September 9 something needs to be done by the CFC:

FIDE announces to all national federations and qualifiers of the World Cup 2009 in Khanty-Mansiysk that the deadline to register their participation is 9 September 2009 (13:00 GMT time). The participant's registration is valid by sending via fax the signed copy of the player's contract to the FIDE Secretariat, fax number: (+30) 2109212859.

This copy of the players contract has to be sent by the national federation and signed by myself. By the way, since the end of the Closed three weeks ago I have received no communication from the CFC regarding arrangements concerning my participation to the World Cup.

Thank you for giving this matter the importance it deserves.

Jean Hébert

Comment

... Perhaps when one is outside looking in, progress seems modest, but when one is on the inside maintaining present programs and beginning new projects, it seems like a lot of work. ... I want to thank [inter alia] ... EK Gillin (EKG) for all of their hard work to promote chess in Canada.

Eric Van Dusen
            CFC President
            Hi Eric. I have no doubt that you've been very busy since becoming President. But please don't forget that when one is on the inside, one can lose sight of the forest for the trees (see Jean Hebert's post in this thread). It would be tragic if our national champion was unable to carry on to the next stage because some paperwork was overlooked.

Also, a question for you: who/what is EK Gillin?

Regards,
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
              Hi Eric. I have no doubt that you've been very busy since becoming President. But please don't forget that when one is on the inside, one can lose sight of the forest for the trees (see Jean Hebert's post in this thread). It would be tragic if our national champion was unable to carry on to the next stage because some paperwork was overlooked.
              Don't worry Peter. I have just been informed to download the player contract and registration from the FIDE site, fill it up and fax it myself (including a copy to the CFC). One way or the other, the player has to do everything himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Also, a question for you: who/what is EK Gillin?
                Just from memory, EK Gillin is the "contractor" who now runs the CFC office, and employs Gerry Litchfield. I believe the main owner is Patrick Smale, or was it Smales.

The CFC website is down, last time I checked, or I could look it up in the GLs.

JC

Comment

CFC Contractors

Since the CFC has closed its office, the mail order store and the office activities has been out sourced to he following entities:
                  1) FEN, managed by Francis Nadeau, son of Ellen Nadeau sells chess books and equipment via mail order;
                  2) Amazon, where the CFC receives a negligible amount per book sold; and
                  3) EK Gillin (EKG), managed by Patrick Smale, whose employee, Gerry Litchfield, carries out the office duties on a part-time basis, about 24 hours per week.

This arrangement means that the old days of the CFC office doing everything are over. The CFC office runs very lean. The VP, Stijn De Kerpel has oversight over the day-to-day operations keeping in communication with Patrick and Gerry.

I would request that some patience on the part of CFC members because the CFC's relationship with EKG is still undergoing birthing pains. The evolution of the expectations on the part of the CFC and EKG continues as we move forward working together to carry out administrative responsibilities and to promote chess.

Eric Van Dusen
                  CFC President

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    Don't worry Peter. I have just been informed to download the player contract and registration from the FIDE site, fill it up and fax it myself (including a copy to the CFC).
                    Have you received a confirmation?

Comment

Working...
                    X