Banff Open 2020 Cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banff Open 2020 Cancelled

Sadly due to Covid-19 we have had to cancel the 2020 Banff Open which is held in mid November. The Banff Centre where we hold the even will not be reopening with conferences until January 2021. Thank you to all the sponsors who have been so supportive and have pledged their support for 2021. These include SoCA, ACA who have been with us since year 1, CUPE Local 4318 as well as our 'Armageddon' donor who makes this tournament extremely exciting, Thank you to all the invited players who also showed their understanding. The Banff Open grew from 33 players, to 41, to 78 to 89 players last year. We had invited 2 grandmasters to play for the 1st time. Hopefully we can continue in 2021. Thank you also to Chesstalk for allowing me to post this announcement.

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
    Sadly due to Covid-19 we have had to cancel the 2020 Banff Open which is held in mid November. The Banff Centre where we hold the even will not be reopening with conferences until January 2021. Thank you to all the sponsors who have been so supportive and have pledged their support for 2021. These include SoCA, ACA who have been with us since year 1, CUPE Local 4318 as well as our 'Armageddon' donor who makes this tournament extremely exciting, Thank you to all the invited players who also showed their understanding. The Banff Open grew from 33 players, to 41, to 78 to 89 players last year. We had invited 2 grandmasters to play for the 1st time. Hopefully we can continue in 2021. Thank you also to Chesstalk for allowing me to post this announcement.
    That's a shame Ian, and of course totally understandable. When you think you have the 2021 date, please feel free to post so that further away travellers can try to plan for it. Much appreciated.

Comment

I still had hope for Banff as it was planned in November, but I understand the decision. I really enjoyed the Banff Open last year and hope playing there again in a next future.

Comment

Our pleasure, Ian. Thanks for the kind remark. It's been fun watching your event grow!

Growth is vital, I have a feeling that in 2021 you'll be 100+ participants.

:))))

Comment

Working...
        X