Guess this (eventual) Canadian master/expert (now deceased)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess this (eventual) Canadian master/expert (now deceased)...

Survived the Russian Revolution and WW2 - some family members didn't.
    Born in St. Petersburg (Russia) in 1915.
    Some sources say he was a royal prince.
    Went to school in Riga.
    1938-39 - served in the Latvian army.
    1939 - married a Latvian ballerina. His brother married the ballerina's sister the same day. (there is actually a wedding photo online showing the two couples)
    1943 - marriage broke up. He won the Riga blitz championship.
    Post-war - graduated in engineering in Rome. Worked for the World Council of Churches helping immigrants to/from Italy.
    Late 40's - participated in major events in Italy and the Italian championships. (I don't think he ever took first place).
    1958 - moved to Canada - first Toronto; then Montreal. Worked as a "sales manager".
    Won a provincial chess championship. I don't think he ever played in a Closed (my database doesn't show any games)
    1963 - remarried at Montreal's St. Peter and St. Paul's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. They had five children (maybe some from previous marriages?). I don't recall any of them in the chess scene.
    In Montreal - always eager to play chess for money, with lots of table talk (in whatever language you wanted - French, English, Italian, Russian, Latvian, and probably others).
    He would have been master strength in the 1940's, but I don't think he was much above 2100 in Canada.
    Died in 1981; buried in Montreal.

Nicolas Engalicev

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
      Nicolas Engalicev
      Too fast! He led an interesting life, but I never really got a chance to talk to him about it.

Here's a link to the wedding photo, and a photo of his grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...olas-engalicev

Comment

When a DP after the war, the Latvian master Miervaldis Jursevskis (subsequently six-time BC Champion) was given a 'memory' book by the YMCA - he chose to fill it with crosstables and newspaper clippings of his chess playing, starting from 1937. There are several tournaments in which he and Engalicev played, also they were on the same university team in 1943.

Comment

Working...
        X