Largest single-section tournament ... ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest single-section tournament ... ever?

I was wondering about the largest single-section tournament (or largest section within a multi-section event).

Anything larger than the US Open of 1983 with 836 players (12 round Swiss)?
    A runner-up would probably be the Cappelle-la-Grande event of 2000 with 702 players (9 round Swiss)
    The "B" section of the 1972 Quebec Open had over 600 players (7 round Swiss)..

The Cappelle la Grande Open with 702 players was in 2001. It was my first year as an arbiter over there. Scary stuff I can tell you. 2002 wasn't too shaby with 677 players. Getting to know the SAD pairing system was very interesting back then. At that time, the Pardubice Open was known to be the biggest in the World. In 2002 they got over 1600 players. But it's not clear to me at this point, it was a single-section tournament or how many they were in each section.

Comment

What on earth is the rationale for such tournaments, where not only are placings a total crap shoot, but you don't even get a clear winner?
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Archambault View Post
        At that time, the Pardubice Open was known to be the biggest in the World. In 2002 they got over 1600 players. But it's not clear to me at this point, it was a single-section tournament or how many they were in each section.
        As I recall these opens are with multi-section and mutli-type tournaments (normal, blitz, bughouse).

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
          What on earth is the rationale for such tournaments, where not only are placings a total crap shoot, but you don't even get a clear winner?
          I hope there's not an infinity of reasons. :/
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

No, but the pie was finite.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

As I recall these opens are with multi-section and mutli-type tournaments (normal, blitz, bughouse).
              twic #402

14) Czech Open 2002

The Czech Open 2002 takes place in Pardubice 11th-28th July 2002. There are 5 FIDE open tournaments, 2 teams tournaments, an active chess tournament, a blitz tournament, a blitz marathon, a problem solving competition and bughouse and Fischerandom tournaments. There are 1400 players from 46 countries including 55 GMs and WGMs and 88 IMs and WIMs competing.

There are 350 players in the top GM open with an average rating of 2329. Average TOP 20 ELO is 2572 and TOP 100 2491. Top players include: Krishnan Sasikiran (IND, 2650), Bartolomiej Macieja (POL, 2607), Zbynek Hracek (CZE, 2600), Valery Neverov (UKR, 2587), Evgeny Alekseev (RUS, 2580), Zoltan Gyimesi (HUN 2580), Vladimir Burmakin (RUS, 2574), Lev Psakhis (ISR, 2574), Andrei Kovalev (BLR, 2572), Daniels Fridmans (LAT, 2571), Vladislav Borovikov (UKR, 2570), P. Harikrishna (IND, 2568), Peter Acs (HUN, 2560).

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
                No, but the pie was finite.
                ...or so we thought, till Justin & Jagmeet started dividing it (not equally, mind you, but with progressively larger pieces the more to the left you stand) amongst an infinitely large number of recipients for an infinitely long time...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

That would be an impossibility.
                  Last edited by Fred Harvey; Monday, 22nd June, 2020, 11:31 PM.
                  Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I am announcing my new theory that if you had a one-section rated chess tournament with infinite participants who all have a valid rating (thus ruling out CFC holding this tournament), and you created an infinite string of the players' ratings listed in order from the highest-rated player down to the (infiniteth) lowest-rated player, somewhere in the middle of this number, the decimal value of pi (to infinity) would appear.

Proof:

(1) create the infinite list of rated players

(2) go to the nth player in the list and add 1 to that player's rating

(3) repeat to infinity

(4) come back when you are done and I'll show you the proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I am announcing my new theory that if you had a one-section rated chess tournament with infinite participants who all have a valid rating (thus ruling out CFC holding this tournament), and you created an infinite string of the players' ratings listed in order from the highest-rated player down to the (infiniteth) lowest-rated player, somewhere in the middle of this number, the decimal value of pi (to infinity) would appear.

Proof:

(1) create the infinite list of rated players

(2) go to the nth player in the list and add 1 to that player's rating

(3) repeat to infinity

(4) come back when you are done and I'll show you the proof.
                      1) There is a finite list of players (20,000?) with a CFC rating. All others to infinity are unrated, but counted on the CFC list as 0000. Once the tournament is finished (a finite number of rounds) the unrateds are given a rating first, before calculating for those with an established rating. At that point there will be no one with a rating of 0000 (or 0001). However, the rating in the middle will not change, something like 1415. However, no decimal place dot would ever appear in the list so would never get a string 3.1415....

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

1) There is a finite list of players (20,000?) with a CFC rating. All others to infinity are unrated, but counted on the CFC list as 0000. Once the tournament is finished (a finite number of rounds) the unrateds are given a rating first, before calculating for those with an established rating. At that point there will be no one with a rating of 0000 (or 0001). However, the rating in the middle will not change, something like 1415. However, no decimal place dot would ever appear in the list so would never get a string 3.1415....

Did you take my post seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Did you take my post seriously?
                          Now there is a straight line to beat all straight lines... :)
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The largest multi-section tournament (with all sections running concurrently) was probably the US Supernationals VI in Nashville, May 12-14, 2017. There were 5,577 (I assume - unique) entries. Obviously not open to everyone - I will continue to check on a figure for a multi-section Open.

https://new.uschess.org/news/champio...ernationals-vi

Possibly the 1986 World Open with 1,507 (not necessarily unique due to re-entries) entries?

(the 2018 Olympiad had 1,665 total entries - but obviously - not an Open)

Comment

Working...
                            X