X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Online Olympiad 2020

FIDE Online Olympiad 2020

June 30, 2020

The International Chess Federation is pleased to announce a new major competition: the FIDE Online Olympiad 2020, to be held between July 22nd and August 30th, 2020.

The Online Olympiad is a national teams event in which all federations affiliated to FIDE have the right to participate.

Each team will consist of six players, in a mixed format with a minimum of three female players and two junior players. Specifically, each team must include:

- at least 1 player U-20 (born in 2000 or later)
    - at least 2 women
    - at least 1 girl U-20 (born in 2000 or later)

The teams may have up to six reserves, plus a team captain.

The time control for this event will be 15 minutes + 5 seconds increment per move.

The event will consist of two main stages: the “Divisions stage”, and the Play-offs stage, from Round of 16 to the final.

Since the Online Olympiad is a mixed event, for pairing purposes the ranking will be established in accordance with the final standings of the last “Gaprindashvili Cup”, which combines the results in the open and women’s sections at the Batumi Chess Olympiad 2018.

FIRST STAGE: Divisions

All the teams-participants will be divided into 5 divisions ranked from “Base Division” to “Top Division”.

Base Division unifies registered teams placed in the bottom part of the final standings of the Gaprindashvili Cup. Base Division’s tournament system depends on the number of participating teams. The top fifteen teams of the Base Division qualify to Division 4.

Base Division composition and tournament’s system as well as all divisions seeded team’s composition are announced on July 18th. Each pool is played within three days, three rounds per day. The exact dates and times for each pool tournament in each Division are announced two days prior to the beginning, teams’ time zones are taken into consideration.

Division 4 is composed of 35 seeded registered teams ranked higher than teams of Base Division in Gaprindashvili Cup and 15 teams qualified from Base Division.

50 teams are divided into 5 pools (from A to E), 10 teams each, of approximately equal strength determined as the average rapid rating of six main players according to July FIDE rating list. Each pool plays a round robin of 9 rounds. The top three teams of each pool qualify for Division 3.

Division 3 is composed of 35 seeded registered teams ranked higher than teams of Division 4 in Gaprindashvili Cup and 15 teams qualified from Division 4.

50 teams are divided into 5 pools (from A to E), 10 teams each, of approximately equal strength. Teams qualified from the same pool of Division 4 cannot be placed in the same pool again. Pool winners of Division 4 cannot be placed in the same pool. Each pool plays a round robin of 9 rounds. The top three first teams of each pool qualify for Division 2.

Division 2 is composed of 35 seeded registered teams ranked higher than teams of Division 3 in Gaprindashvili Cup and 15 teams qualified from Division 3.

50 teams are divided into 5 pools (from A to E), 10 teams each, of approximately equal strength. Teams qualified from the same pool of Division 3 cannot be placed in the same pool again. Pool winners of Division 3 cannot be placed in the same pool. Each pool plays a round robin of 9 rounds. The top three first teams of each pool qualify for Top Division.

Top Division is composed of 5 seeded registered teams placed on the top of Gaprindashvili Cup, 5 teams nominated by each of the four Continents (according to each Continent’s criteria, see Article 3.3) and 15 teams qualified from Division 2.

40 teams are divided into 4 pools (from A to D), 10 teams each, of approximately equal strength. Teams qualified from the same pool of Division 2 cannot be placed in the same pool again. Pool winners of Division 2 cannot be placed in the same pool. Each pool plays a round robin of 9 rounds.

The top three first teams of each pool qualify for Stage 2 – Play-off

SECOND STAGE: Play-off

Twelve teams qualified from Stage 1 play a knock-out tournament. Each duel consists of two matches, alternating which team has white on the first board (and subsequently, on the rest of even-numbered boards).

Preliminary Round

Duel I: Runner-up of Top DIVISION pool A vs Third place of Top DIVISION pool B

Duel II: Runner-up of Top DIVISION pool B vs Third place of Top DIVISION pool A

Duel III: Runner-up of Top DIVISION pool C vs Third place of Top DIVISION pool D

Duel IV: Runner-up of Top DIVISION pool D vs Third place of Top DIVISION pool C

Quarter-finals

Duel V: Winner of Top DIVISION pool A vs Winner of Duel IV

Duel VI: Winner of Top DIVISION pool B vs Winner of Duel III

Duel VII: Winner of Top DIVISION pool C vs Winner of Duel II

Duel VIII: Winner of Top DIVISION pool D vs Winner of Duel I

Semi-finals

Duel IX: Winner of Duel V vs Winner of Duel VI

Duel X: Winner of Duel VII vs Winner of Duel VIII

Final

Duel XI: Winner of Duel IX vs Winner of Duel X

A registration form will be published on the FIDE website in the coming days. National Federations will receive further instructions via email, and registration will open on Saturday, July 4, 2020.

Hosting Internet Platform

Any chess internet platform may apply for hosting the FIDE Online Olympiad 2020. FIDE’s choice will be based on many factors in the best interest of chess, and the proposed financial conditions are not the only criterion. FIDE will take into account the experience of platform, and its ability to broadcast the tournament at the highest possible level.

The final decision on the hosting internet platform will be announced shortly.

https://www.fide.com/news/608

For the regulations, see:

https://www.fide.com/docs/regulation...iad%202020.pdf

Thanks for sharing this Wayne. We'll have to decide quickly on having a Canadian team.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Thanks for sharing this Wayne. We'll have to decide quickly on having a Canadian team.

Fred
      Yes, 3 weeks notice is not a lot - although with this format there are no airline or visa or other similar 'traditional' issues.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

We could have a strong team if all our GM's commit (maybe even Kevin Spraggett and Duncan Suttles?).

Comment

With just 2 men boards and just 4 adult male players (2 reserves) I am not sure if Duncan Suttles could make Canadian team stronger.

Comment

Any chance some of the reserve spots would be available through open qualifiers? Assuming Canada is in Group 2, there is more than a month to run a few.

Other ideas would be to have a reserve spot for better geographical representation (Prairie/Atlantic) or minorities?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
              Any chance some of the reserve spots would be available through open qualifiers? Assuming Canada is in Group 2, there is more than a month to run a few.

Other ideas would be to have a reserve spot for better geographical representation (Prairie/Atlantic) or minorities?
              Our team has to be registered with player names by July 13. This will not be as easy as it might seem.

Comment

I support the idea of qualifiers for reserve spots. I am not sure is CFC would be able to organize these events.

About geographical representation - the strongest possible team always gives you the best geographical representation.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                  I support the About geographical representation - the strongest possible team always gives you the best geographical representation.
                  Brilliant. I support the strongest possible team.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

I support the idea of qualifiers for reserve spots. I am not sure is CFC would be able to organize these events.

About geographical representation - the strongest possible team always gives you the best geographical representation.
                    I would support qualifiers if there was time. There is not. It will have to be by rating. This seems a bit ad hoc. They haven't even decided what platform to play on.

Comment

Hi everyone, new to the forum but was reading it for quite some time now. Finally decided to register!

I actually think that Canada has a good chance to become a continental nominee and play in the top division. USA gets there as one of the 5 top teams according to Gaprindashvili Cup, and then which counties would be the 5 nominees from Americas? If you go purely by FIDE rating, it should be Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Cuba, and Canada. But no idea when and how the continent is supposed to raise its voice so we would know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Burtasova View Post
                        Hi everyone, new to the forum but was reading it for quite some time now. Finally decided to register!

I actually think that Canada has a good chance to become a continental nominee and play in the top division. USA gets there as one of the 5 top teams according to Gaprindashvili Cup, and then which counties would be the 5 nominees from Americas? If you go purely by FIDE rating, it should be Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Cuba, and Canada. But no idea when and how the continent is supposed to raise its voice so we would know for sure.
                        If you were using Gap. Cup standings we would be 1st in line for one of the 5 Americas spots, however, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get one.

Comment

Do we want to be in Division 1? It seems better experience for a borderline top 35 team to qualify from Division 2. Twice the games + warmup.

Makes sense the lineup needs to be submitted before start of tournament, even for those teams that don't play until a few weeks in.

Comment

FIDE Online Olympiad 2020

July 1, 2020

Originally posted by Anna Burtasova View Post

Hi Anna. Welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan. I didn't realize you had been in Canada so long.

I quoted you in 2017 about Epiphany bathing!

See my comments at:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ge3#post205327

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...017#post174326

Comment

Do we want to be in Division 1? It seems better experience for a borderline top 35 team to qualify from Division 2. Twice the games + warmup.

Makes sense the lineup needs to be submitted before start of tournament, even for those teams that don't play until a few weeks in.
                              It's just that then you play more (given Canada qualifies from Div2). Are all the best players ready to commit for two weeks of playing instead of one? Some would need to change plans, take days off... In any case, knowing the concrete dates (and this depends on the division we're in!) would help planning and lining up the best possible team.

Comment

Working...
                              X