• Chess Lists

Chess Lists

July 7, 2020

In the first number of Chessworld Magazine, Bobby Fischer gave this list:

The 10 Greatest Players of all Time

by Bobby Fischer

from Chessworld Jan/Feb 1964 Vol. 1, No. 1

1. PAUL MORPHY

Perhaps the most accurate player who ever lived, he would beat anybody today in a set-match. He had complete sight of the board and never blundered even though he moved quite rapidly, rarely taking more than five minutes to decide a move. I've played over hundreds of his games and am continually surprised and entertained by his ingenuity.

2. HOWARD STAUNTON

His games are completely modern; where Morphy and Steinitz rejected the fianchetto, Staunton embraced it. In addition, he understood all of the positional concepts which modern players hold so dear, and thus – with Steinitz – must be considered the first modern player. His right to be on a list of the ten greatest players of all time is firmly founded in the profundity of his insights, especially in the opening, and the great wealth of book knowledge that was his.

3. WILHELM STEINITZ

Before him, the King was considered a weak piece, and players set out to attack the King directly. Steinitz claimed that the King was well able to take care of itself and out not be attacked until one had some positional advantage. Pawns out to be left back, Steinitz claimed, since they can only move forward and can’t retreat to protect the same ground again. He understood more about the use of squares than did Morphy, and contributed a great deal more to chess theory. Steinitz didn’t mind getting himself into cramped quarters if he thought that his position was essentially sound.

4. SIEGBERT TARRASCH

Razor-sharp, he always followed his own rules. In spite of devotion to his own supposedly scientific method, his play was often witty and bright. He was a great opening theorist, vastly superior in this respect to Emanuel Lasker, for example, who was a coffee-house player: Lasker knew nothing about openings and didn’t understand positional chess.

5. MIKHAIL TCHIGORIN

The first great Russian player and one of the last of the Romantic School. At times he would continue playing a bad line even after it was refuted. He was the finest endgame player of his time. In the later years of his career, after trial and error, he gave up trying to refute Steinitz’ lines and began playing them himself.

6. ALEXANDER ALEKHINE

He always wanted a superior center; he maneuvered his pieces toward the King side, and around the twenty-fifth move, began to mate his opponent. He disliked exchanges, preferring to play with many pieces on the board. His play was fantastically complicated, more so than any player before or since. Never a hero of mine. His style worked for him, but it could scarcely work for anybody else. His conceptions were gigantic, full of outrageous and unprecedented ideas. It's hard to find mistakes in his games, but in a sense his whole method was a mistake.

7. JOSE CAPABLANCA

He had the totally undeserved reputation of being the greatest living endgame player. His trick was to keep his openings simple and then play with such brilliance that it was decided in the middle game before reaching the ending -- even though his opponent didn't always know it. His simplicity is a myth.His almost complete lack of book knowledge forced him to push harder to squeeze the utmost out of every position.

8. BORIS SPASSKY

He can blunder away a piece, and you are never sure whether it's a blunder or a fantastically deep sacrifice. He sits at the board with the same dead expression whether he's mating or being mated.

He has some weaknesses, but he makes it difficult for an opponent to take advantage of them. He doesn’t play closed positional chess very well, Still, he always seems a little ahead of you on theory. He rates a place on this list because of his dynamic, individual style.

9. MIKHAIL TAL

Even after losing four games in a row to him I still consider his play unsound. He is always on the lookout for some spectacular sacrifice, that one shot, that dramatic breakthrough to give him the win.

In spite of Spassky’s irregularities, he is, in fact, a sounder player than Tal, but Tal is more brilliant.

10. SAMUEL RESHEVSKY

From 1946 to 1956 probably the best in the world, though his opening knowledge was less than any other leading player. Like a machine calculating every variation, he found moves over the board by a process of elimination and often got into fantastic time pressure. He can see more variations in a shorter period of time than most players who ever lived. Occasionally, in fact, he comes up with new moves – spontaneous ideas he had fabricated from no knowledge.

(W.K. - I have edited the long comments).
    ________

This article received a huge amount of criticism because favorites like Emanuel Lasker and Mikhail Botvinnik were not on the list. But if you put them on the list, then who do you take off? And should Bobby himself be there?

In recent years, the older masters on the list have been replaced by the moderns. One such gives these as the best that have ever been:

1. Garry Kasparov
    2. Anatoly Karpov
    3. Magnus Carlsen
    4. Wilhelm Steinitz
    5. Jose Raul Capablanca
    6. Bobby Fischer
    7. Alexander Alekhine
    8. Mikhail Botvinnik
    9. Paul Morphy
    10. Vishwanathan Anand

https://www.ichess.net/blog/greatest-chess-players/

There isn’t a chessplayer alive who could look at this list and not wish to change it in some way.
    ________

In 1977, The Book of Lists was published. This refers to any one of a series of books compiled by David Wallechinsky, his father Irving Wallace and sister Amy. Each book contains hundreds of lists on unusual or obscure topics. Some of these:

- 9 Cats Who Traveled Long Distances to Return Home
    - The 5 Most Hated and Feared persons in History
    - 10 of the Worst Generals in History
    - Ellery Queen’s 17 Greatest Fictional Detectives of All Time
    - 15 Famous Events That Happened in the Bathtub
    - Irving Chernev’s 12 Greatest Chess Players of All Time.
    - 8 Remarkable Escapes from Devil’s Island
    ________

In 1982, Andy Soltis, under the influence of the lists books of the time published two columns with chess lists. The first in Chess Life April of 1982 was entitled LISTOMANIA – mainly about player’s ratings. This was followed by another in May of 1982 with the Ten Most Expensive Chess Books, The Longest Running Chess Magazines and the Best-Selling Dover Chess Books.

In 1984 he published The Book of Chess Lists (McFarland) and wrote this:

“This book grew out of two articles I wrote in my column for Chess Life during 1982. Those columns drew the greatest response of any I had done in four years of writing for the national chess magazine. Readers had suggestions for additional lists took issue with those I printed or offered a bit of information or trivia that could be worked into another column. They suggested lists of longest games, biggest blunders, best time-pressure players – even the most obnoxious masters. As I suspected, chessplayers love lists.”

That book has 218 pages with 63 lists. I have always thought that it was one of Soltis’s best and most interesting books.

(to be continued)

Chess Lists

July 7, 2020

The Book of Chess Lists (continued)

One list is titled “Canada’s Best – As Selected by Jonathan Berry and Dr. Nathan Divinsky".

Berry’s list has explanations under each player but the order is this:

1. Frank Anderson
    2. Duncan Suttles
    3. D. A. Yanofsky
    4. Maurice Fox
    5. Igor Ivanov
    6. Dr. Fedor Bohatyrchuk
    7. Peter Biyiasas
    8-11 – Lawrence Day, Kevin Spraggett, Jean Hebert and Zvonko Vranesic.

Dr. Divinsky wrote of that list that the major gap is the absence of Magnus M. Smith, a Winnipeg shoemaker who wrote material for Lasker’s Chess Magazine and won the Canadian Championship in 1899, 1904 and 1906. Another name to be added, Divinsky says, is J.S. Morrison, who won the Canadian Championship in 1910, 1913, 1922, 1924 and 1926.

The way Divinsky rated them:

1. Suttles
    2. Yanofsky
    3. Fox
    4. Anderson
    5. M.M. Smith
    6. Morrison
    7. Ivanov
    8. Bohatyrchuk
    9. Biyiasas

In 2002, again with McFarland, Andy Soltis published the Second Edition of Chess Lists. This time there were 248 pages and 79 lists. The list of best Canadian players had disappeared.

Tim Krabbé maintains a website which has lists of chess records

https://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/records/records.htm

I have thought that it might be interesting to have a chess thread on Chess Lists. Perhaps it would be too much to ask for lists of the best Canadian tournaments, the best Canadian chess clubs and so forth, but it is a thought.

Generally, the lists should have five or ten entries, and explanations of the more controversial points.

To start off, I give five lists.

This has just appeared and I disagree with most of it. What do you think?

1. The best chess players in American history

8. Gata Kamsky
    Peak Rating 2763

7. Leinier Dominguez Perez
    Peak Rating 2768

6. Paul Morphy
    Peak rating 2811 (estimate)

5. Hikaru Nakamura
    Peak Rating 2816

4. Wesley So
    Peak Rating 2822

3. Fabiano Caruana
    Peak Rating 2844

2. Bobby Fischer
    Peak Rating 2785

1. AlphaZero
    Peak Rating 3500+

Is AlphaZero American? AlphaZero runs on American TPUs. The project's inventor, the AI company DeepMind, is headquartered in the United Kingdom, but the company has been owned by an American corporation (Google/Alphabet) since before there was an AlphaZero.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/b...-chess-players

Tne next list is of tournaments which have been written the most about:

2. The Top Ten Covered Tournaments to 1970

1. World Championship, The Hague and Moscow, 1948.
    2. Candidates Tournament, Neuhausen-Zurich, 1953.
    3. A.V.R.O. International Tournament, Amsterdam, 1938.
    4. Nottingham International Tournament, 1936.
    5. St. Petersburg International Tournament, 1914.
    6. New York International Tournament, 1927.
    7. Carlsbad International Tournament, 1929.
    8. New York International Tournament, 1924.
    9. Candidates Tournament, Amsterdam/Leeuwarden, 1956.
    10. Candidates Tournament, Curaçao, 1962.

Michael Clapham

https://chessbookchats.blogspot.com

3. The Ten Finest Chess Books (as selected by Irving Chernev)

1. My Best Games of Chess 1908-1923 by Alexander Alekhine
    2. Masters of the Chessboard by Richard Reti
    3. My 60 Memorable Games by Bobby Fischer
    4. My Chess Career by Jose Capablanca
    5. One Hundred Selected Games by Mikhail Botvinnik
    6. My System by Aron Nimzovich
    7. New York 1924 by Alexander Alekhine
    8. Karlsbad 1907 by Georg Marco and Carl Schlechter
    9. Karlsbad 1929
    10. Manual of Chess by Emanuel Lasker

4. Ten Most Mispronounced Names (Andy Soltis)

1. Alekhine
    2. Euwe
    3. FIDE
    4. Maroczy
    5. Kasparov
    6. Janowsky
    7. Adorjan
    8. Fedorowicz
    9. Pirc
    10. Najdorf

See Soltis’s Chess Lists, 2nd Edition for the correct pronunciations.

5. The Most Enjoyable Chess Magazines to Read (W. Komer)

1. Chess Amateur (1906-1930)

I was very fond of this magazine. T.R. Dawson was one of the editors. It is rather something to read a column full of sadness, just after the Titanic went down.

2. CHESS (Sutton Coldfield) (1935-1989 with B.H. Wood as editor)

Great letters and lively writing

3. British Chess Magazine (1881-2010)

The magazine is still running but just a shadow of its former self. The best years had D.J. Morgan with his Quotes and Queries – 1953-1978.

4. Chess Review (1933-1969)

Hans Kmoch’s annotations were the best feature

5. Chess Life (1946-present)

Pal Benko, the ELO Rating Lists, Fischer news

6. Canadian Chess Chat (1950-1986)

Very interesting in the ‘60s, the quality ran down after 1986

7. EG (Endgame Magazine by A. J. Roycroft)(1965 to present)

A pioneering magazine on endgames

8. New In Chess (Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam, editor) (1984 to present)

Probably the best all-around chess magazine being published today

9. Chess Canada (V. Dobrich, editor) (1970-1975)

Always enjoyable to read. Too short a life.

10. Chessworld (Frank Brady, editor) (1964)

Only three issues published but ahead of its time in content and design

11. Chess Notes (Edward Winter, editor) (1982-1989)

For the chess researcher and chess historian. Strong good stuff from Winter.

_________

One hopes to add chess lists in this thread from time to time.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 8th July, 2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X