David Wilson Grange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Wilson Grange

David Wilson Grange passed away at the beginning of July. He was a long time member of the Kitchener Concordia chess club and liked to avidly discuss his favourite openings. I liked to come up with interesting creative ideas to counter his favourites and we had some interesting debates over the years. Last year we met at a lecture by GM Robin van Kampen and a speed tournament which Hugh Siddeley won. I thought I'd post as their are regulars on chesstalk who knew David, especially Hugh Siddeley who was a good friend. RIP David.

RIP David.

Comment

David was a member of the Concordia Chess Club for more than 30 years. Although academic work was his main priority for the last few years, he was always interested in the activities of the Concordia Chess Club and would usually manage to attend special events. He will be missed. RIP David.
      Last edited by Stephen Humphreys; Thursday, 16th July, 2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Sad news about Dave. I met him while at Resurrection College of the University of Waterloo back in 2000. Dave was an eccentric character. Chess-wise he was devoted entirely to opening theory and accumulated a very large opening book library. He loved playing online and was always faithful to his Internet Chess Club. He didn't handle losing too well. On one occasion I knocked several times on his door in our residence and he shouted "Hold on, just a minute". He was playing a blitz game on the ICC and moments later I heard the flag bell sound (of the ICC) followed by a lot of cursing. I then heard him stamping toward the door but before he opened it I ran, fast! RIP Dave.

Hans, I sent you a private message.

Comment

Working...
        X