Competition for the CFC presidency!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition for the CFC presidency!

We have at least a two-way race for the CFC presidency.

No - it's not Neil Frarey. It's Mahmud Hassain from the Kitchener area.

From the CFC discussion board:

"Dear Chess Friends,

First of all, I wish to thank all the Voting Members, Officers, and Directors of the Chess Federation of Canada ("CFC") for their dedication and service. In particular, I wish to thank Vlad Drkulec for his years of service as President of our Federation, a tenure which is second only to the inimitable John Prentice.

I take this opportunity to declare my candidacy for President of the CFC. I believe it is time for a new start and a fresh perspective to build on previous successes.

My name is Mahmud Hassain and I offer a wealth of experience and leadership both inside and outside the world of chess.

My first CFC rated experience was a tournament held in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1987. A decade later, I began an unbroken chain of CFC membership renewals which continues to the present day. The CFC is dear to me. During my time in Manitoba, two Canadian Opens were held in Winnipeg, the first in 1993 and the second in 1997. Although I don't claim to be the driving force behind these events, I was involved in the organization of both, and took great pride in their success. During this period, I also served as a Governor of the Manitoba Chess Association.

For the past two decades, I have been a member of the Kitchener Waterloo Chess Club ("KWCC"). I also served as a Governor for this organization and, ultimately, as its President. In 2006, for the third time in my chess career, I was involved in the organization of the Canadian Open, this time in Kitchener.

In addition to my involvement in governance and event organizing, I volunteer in schools and actively promote chess within my community. In 2013, my efforts were recognized by The Ontario Volunteer Service Award.

Outside of chess, I offer significant experience in governance and applied leadership. Most recently, I served a seven-year term as Governor of Traverse Independence - a health organization - whose annual budget is $7,000,000. Here, too, I served a term as President. During this term, the organization received federal recognition for its leadership.

Most important, from my perspective, is my membership in Rotary International. I have served for the past six years as a Governor of the Rotary Club of Guelph and, in the 2021-22 Rotary year I will serve as the Club's President. Rotary is one of the largest service organizations in the world, which recruits leaders who create a positive and lasting change, and I live by its motto: "Service Above Self".

I recently finished a Master's degree in Leadership at The Lang School of Business and Economics at the University of Guelph. This program “identifies leaders and makes them better leaders”. Entering into the program, I had the great fortune of receiving the personal endorsement of the late Dr. William C. Winegard, a former President of the University and Federal Cabinet Minister. He was a mentor and a close friend whom I miss dearly.

Although it has been my intention to serve the CFC for several years now, my various service commitments over the years have left me unavailable to serve the CFC in the way I would like to. Having completed some my non-chess commitments, I am satisfied that I am available to serve the CFC with the time and attention that I would expect of myself as a member.

My platform is three-fold: improve the online presence of the CFC, engage the CFC membership and Voting Members through modern communication means, and take the CFC to new heights using collaborative outreach strategies.

To achieve my vision for the CFC, we must engage the Voting Members to develop a new Strategic Plan, which will serve as a living document to guide our operations for the years to come.

In a few days, I will extend an invitation on this Forum to a virtual “Meet the Candidate” session. I look forward to meeting you then.

Yours in Chess,
    Mahmud"

Before we get started, riddle me this: "Are you a supporter of Trump?" - asking for some friends.

edited to add: 'welcome all the same to the show' ... :)
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Saturday, 25th July, 2020, 01:55 PM. Reason: clarification
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
    X