Mystery game #9: More than meets the eye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #9: More than meets the eye!

Here is another very interesting game for your enjoyment, and comments.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 a6 6.Be2 e6 7.O-O Be7 8.f4 Qc7 9.Kh1 Nc6 10.Nb3 b5 11.a3 O-O 12.Bf3 Rb8 13.Be3 Bb7 14.Qe2 Rfc8 15.Qf2 Ba8 16.Rae1 a5 17.g4 b4 18.Nd5 exd5 19.exd5 bxa3 20.g5 Nxd5 21.Bxd5 axb2 22.f5 Ne5 23.Bxa8 Rxa8 24.f6 Qc6+ 25.Kg1 gxf6 26.Nd4 Qe4 27.gxf6 Qg4+ 28.Kh1 Qe4+ 29.Kg1 Qg4+ 30.Kh1 Qe4+ 31.Kg1, 1/2--1/2.

IM Lawrence Day (2450) -- Frank Dixon (1436), Kingston simul 1979, played Oct. 24.
    I had my biggest ever smile after a drawn game with this one!
    Lawrence asked me to stay and discuss the game after he finished, and as a 4th year Queen's University student, I had a math assignment to complete, so I visited the library, right across the street, for an hour, with a desk placed so that I could actually see into the room where the simul was being held, and then returned to the event. That room, the North Reading Room of Douglas Library, was later the site for the 1992 Canadian Zonal, with myself as head organizer, IA Alex Knox as Head Arbiter, and Lawrence played in it; won by GM Alex Lesiege. Lawrence had had earlier success in Kingston at the 1966 Canadian Open, where he was top Junior, which at that time won entry into the World Junior Championship, Jerusalem 1967 in his case, where he made a good showing. I asked Lawrence if he would play 18.Nd5!?, a piece sacrifice from the game, in a more serious setting, and he said 'likely not', but that he used simuls to experiment!! That was a revelation to me! I decided to return the piece, and found a way to draw the game. Out of about 30 opponents, IM Day lost only one game, I believe, to my friend Santo D'Agostino, and I think I have that game somewhere! Queen's University Student Centre Director Norman Hart was a great booster of chess, and he arranged the event with Lawrence. At the end, it is just too risky for either player to avoid the draw; if White exchanges queens, then Black's far advanced queenside passers would likely win, and if Black avoids the repetition, then White's powerful attacking formation would probably Carry The Day!! Lawrence said that if I played some rated events, my rating would go up a lot; I had only 22 rated games to this juncture, and he was right; a year later, my rating was 350 points higher (with a Rating Boon added in). Then, 20 years later, with a rating about 2070, I once again drew my simul game with Lawrence, in the same building! This game was published in the magazine.

Comment

Working...
    X