Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Stephen Dawson - from Downsview, ON - passed away at 63 years of age

RIP Stephen Dawson - from Downsview, ON - passed away at 63 years of age

I just received a telephone call this morning to report the passing away overnight of my good friend Stephen Dawson. I met Stephen Dawson at the Toronto Chess Club 1980-ish and we played in many chess tournaments at Macdonald Block and subsequently for many years at the Weston Chess Club - with John Brown, and John Ellis and Bill Darch and Ed King and Sam Sharpe and Frank Thiele.

Stephen required heart surgery and was in Sunnybrook Hospital and recently had been on dialysis and then passed away overnight from complications after open heart surgery.

Stephen was a very special family friend who was the person to first introduce me to Christine (who would become my wife and chess partner) back in 1992 about 10 years after we first duked it out on the chess board. Both Christine and I are very appreciate to our chess friend and we are both left devasted with this loss. When I get information about his funeral - I will post it here for any local chess friends to pay their respects.

Dawson, Stephen
    Dawson, Stephen Downsview, ON 102459 1994-03-01 1841 1900 (1882) (10 g)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stephen Dawon.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	207639

My condolences Mark, to you and to all friends and family of the departed. As we move along in life these things happen more and more, and they are never easy. I have lost several friends in recent years, including the closest and best friend I ever knew. Stay strong, my sympathies are with you.
    Last edited by Brad Thomson; Saturday, 22nd August, 2020, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Thank for passing this along, Mark. Stephen was a good man and I remember many hard fought battles versus his Pirc/Modern during the Weston Chess Club years.

Comment

Stephen Won the Peel Invitational 4 he suggested we get some more players and he thought Mark Dutton would be a good addition. That's when Mark and I first met.
        I'm really sorry to hear of his passing. I last saw him in 2013 when I was getting ready to move. Still the friendly happy guy I met all those years ago.
        Rest in Peace.

Comment

My condolences to his family and friends. We lose too many of these great people as the years go by.

Comment

Sorry for your loss Mark and Christine.

Comment

Working...
            X