Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"
    Hello,

As you probably know, FIDE is trying to organize Online Olympiad 2020.

https://www.fide.com/news/608

Canada will probably play in Division 2 or in the Top Division, that means from Aug 12 or Aug 19.

Each team will consist of 12 players (6 reserves), and only 4 adult males (2 reserves). In case we get more than 4 positive responses from your group the CFC chooses 4 players by the last FIDE rating.

Are you interested in participating?

The deadline for registration is Jul 13, we don't have too much time to submit our line-up. Please response ASAP.

Victor Plotkin

"

This was the initial email I received from Victor.

If you were using CFC and I would not be in the team as a result, I am OK with it. I was mainly playing outside of Canada and I don't quite track my CFC rating.

If you formed the team by FIDE and listed me as "Board 2" but somehow you decided using CFC during the tournament, you have to communicate with me first before this tournament even begin, I would have my realistic expectations.

I suggest you read the FIDE's official guidelines and distinguish the main players and reserve players properly.

Also funny stuff here, you and your son should know me better than any other players in Canada since you lost me 0-3 and Mark lost me 0-3, in a total of merely 6 games we met in the past five years, even couldn't get half-point from me. You don't have to show how strong your son is. I know it for sure.

Kaiqi

Comment

Well I'm sorry Mr. Yang for your loss. It does seem poor that Board 2 (as order was posted) only played 1/3 games. There seems to have been no communication by either you or Mr. Plotkin about that strategy. You are partly to blame for not clarifying your intentions to play 2 or 3 games a day.

But, if maintained, you would have had one game later in the day, and one on Sunday (and possibly more). Three games as a result from your hard work preparing. Then you could have complained to the CFC afterwards.

But, now, by your own decision, you only have one game played and are destroying your reputation. In the middle of a tournament with no other sub players available, you walked out on all of your teammates and country. Remember to tell your students that you are a quitter.

Comment

I mentioned to Kaiqi in my e-mail before his surprising decision to quit the tournament that I expected him, Raja and Mark to play 4 games each, while Nikolay should play 6 games. I added, "That doesn't mean that every player plays the initially determined number of games. Whoever performs better - plays more, whoever performs below his rating - plays less. I used the same approach on the last 4 Olympiads with different line-ups."

As one player mentioned "it's impossible to please everyone... A captain has to be given some discretion"

I can explain my every decision, one after another, I just don't think it's necessary now.

Comment

Kaiqi mentioned that he has a wonderful score against Mark and I. What can I say? Kaiqi is a very good chess player, but these numbers don't prove any point.

For example my score against Kamsky is 4-0 in my favor.... Doesn't mean that I am a much better player.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Well I'm sorry Mr. Yang for your loss. It does seem poor that Board 2 (as order was posted) only played 1/3 games. There seems to have been no communication by either you or Mr. Plotkin about that strategy. You are partly to blame for not clarifying your intentions to play 2 or 3 games a day.

But, if maintained, you would have had one game later in the day, and one on Sunday (and possibly more). Three games as a result from your hard work preparing. Then you could have complained to the CFC afterwards.

But, now, by your own decision, you only have one game played and are destroying your reputation. In the middle of a tournament with no other sub players available, you walked out on all of your teammates and country. Remember to tell your students that you are a quitter.
            1 out of 4 games in the first 4 rounds, maybe read the whole story before you post a comment here.

Comment

I received an email from the CFC president and have decided to respect and follow his advice.

It is never my intention to involve in situations like this. But sometimes when things happen, I have to stand up for myself.

I will not comment further on this post anymore.

Comment

I am disappointed in this situation, leaving Canada without a backup plan in the middle of a tournament, which will have a major impact on our efforts to perform well, and advance further in the competition.

Without assigning blame to anyone, the online Olympiad concept is a new one, forced in 2020 by COVID-19, so I believe that more effort and time needed to be devoted, to coordinate all of the elements together. However, with both GM Kaiqi Yang and captain Victor Plotkin being Toronto residents, they could have perhaps met face-to-face to try to resolve this situation, before GM Yang made his decision to withdraw from the team.

I will say this: I have been very impressed with the previous efforts by captain Victor Plotkin on behalf of Team Canada in Olympiads, as significant successes have been attained. I got to know GM Kaiqi Yang slightly at the 2019 Kingston Zonal, where I was part of the organizing / directing team; I was impressed with his play and conduct at that time. As well, CFC President Vlad Drkulec deserves some credit for Canadian successes during this period, since he has been in his post for something like 7 or 8 years now.

Best to all,
                Frank Dixon
                NTD, Kingston

Comment

Thanks to Victor Plotkin for sharing some details about his initial plan, who should play 18 games on the first two boards. Victor didn't have to disclose this now. Captain is not accountable to the players and the public. Only to CFC management.

I believe, this thread went to a wrong direction. Instead of explanations from the Captain, which are unnecessary in this situation, I would prefer to hear what the consequences will be faced by the player who violated Olympiad contract. This is what CFC has to decide now. If it happened in one of the major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.), the player who quieted the competition in such a fashion would be suspended for at least 10 games.

I agree with Réjean Tremblay's suggestion that GM Kaiqi should lose the privilege to represent Canada in any International competition. This matter should be discussed by CFC Executives or/and on the next CFC meeting. Is that enough? I am not sure, because GM Kaiqi most likely will not be able to qualify for the National team in subsequent Olympiads. I would additionally suggest CFC considering from 6 to 12 months suspension for participation in all tournaments where CFC membership is required, including next Canadian Closed.

In order to prevent similar situations in the future, I'll bring a motion for the next CFC meeting providing automatic penalties for players who quit their performance for the National team in the middle of the tournament without a valid reason.

Victor Itkine
                  CFC Governor.

Comment

Since the comment is so aggressive, seems I cannot stop here.

We formed the team by FIDE rating but different criteria were involved during the tournament without communication with players, this is deception.

I devoted my time without any compensation while most of the other higher-rated players don’t want to play, and I received such consequence. Well, I took my own medicine and I surely deserve it.

A captain can do whatever he wants, -- for future player’s reference, be aware of that.

Also, if you want to support your capital Victor unconditionally without even discussing the fact, here is not your place. And for sure, you will prepare for your files and I am aware of that.

Kaiqi

Comment

I don't have any problem with what Kaiqi has done.

Are there any existing CFC rules which discuss the matter of a player removing themselves from a Canadian national team during a tournament?

If not ... then no 'punishment' can be dealt.

Kaiqi is free to do as he pleases.

But, having said that ... if there are such CFC rules ... different matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
                        Thanks to Victor Plotkin for sharing some details about his initial plan, who should play 18 games on the first two boards. Victor didn't have to disclose this now. Captain is not accountable to the players and the public. Only to CFC management.

I believe, this thread went to a wrong direction. Instead of explanations from the Captain, which are unnecessary in this situation, I would prefer to hear what the consequences will be faced by the player who violated Olympiad contract. This is what CFC has to decide now. If it happened in one of the major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.), the player who quieted the competition in such a fashion would be suspended for at least 10 games.

I agree with Réjean Tremblay's suggestion that GM Kaiqi should lose the privilege to represent Canada in any International competition. This matter should be discussed by CFC Executives or/and on the next CFC meeting. Is that enough? I am not sure, because GM Kaiqi most likely will not be able to qualify for the National team in subsequent Olympiads. I would additionally suggest CFC considering from 6 to 12 months suspension for participation in all tournaments where CFC membership is required, including next Canadian Closed.

In order to prevent similar situations in the future, I'll bring a motion for the next CFC meeting providing automatic penalties for players who quit their performance for the National team in the middle of the tournament without a valid reason.

Victor Itkine
                        CFC Governor.
                        Hi Victor,

I would support such a motion, and I would like to add - not just in the middle of the tournament. In 2018 we were lucky to enlist Evgeny Bareev as a replacement just weeks (days?) before the tournament start, all contracts were already signed.
                        With that said - I don't know if Kaiqi deserves to be punished. There was no contract for this online Olympiad, or a CFC law. Code of honour? "I have executed my rights of quitting because of the above reasons mentioned" deserves to be discussed at an ethics committee at the very least, but our newly elected president does not think its a priority.

Comment

I see it a little differently. If there are such existing CFC rules (most likely there are not), then penalties should come automatically.

If not, CFC may hold a special hearing and decide, whether any 'punishment' should follow or not.

Comment

"However, I was unbelievablly shocked to see how unprofessional a captain can act like this in such an important international tournament for his personal reasons. Is what his doing really for the good of Team Canada?"

" I believe that Victor was using CFC rating as an excuse for his intention of doing a favor to his son, which is not respectable to players like me."

I believe that in 2019, when Kaiqi's Serbian tournaments for GM journey was discussed on chesstalk, Kaiqi was upset and insulted by the 'accusations'. I believe now he is doing the same thing. Now I personally see nothing wrong with accusations in public, I trust the public can use its critical thinking abilities to find some sort of truth. What we see here, however, is a double standard from Kaiqi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiqi Yang View Post
                              I received an email from the CFC president and have decided to respect and follow his advice.

It is never my intention to involve in situations like this. But sometimes when things happen, I have to stand up for myself.

I will not comment further on this post anymore.
                              Very sage advice

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
                                "However, I was unbelievablly shocked to see how unprofessional a captain can act like this in such an important international tournament for his personal reasons. Is what his doing really for the good of Team Canada?"

" I believe that Victor was using CFC rating as an excuse for his intention of doing a favor to his son, which is not respectable to players like me."

I believe that in 2019, when Kaiqi's Serbian tournaments for GM journey was discussed on chesstalk, Kaiqi was upset and insulted by the 'accusations'. I believe now he is doing the same thing. Now I personally see nothing wrong with accusations in public, I trust the public can use its critical thinking abilities to find some sort of truth. What we see here, however, is a double standard from Kaiqi.
                                Thank you, Nicolay. I don’t even know you care about me so much that whenever what happened to me, you are always the first person to reach out on the online world. I guess you are maybe disappointed that your little brother only got 60 FIDE points up after I did my best to coach him in WYCC 2017 Uruguay? Even I feel suspicious why you put him in my team for preparation when both of us are coaching Team Canada. Or maybe my existence makes you so uncomfortable that you have to get the spotlight every time?

Anyway, It is good to know you are always around.

Comment

Working...
                                X