Clarification for Quitting the Online Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
    I would like to see a grudge match between the players involved here streamed LIVE on national Twitch.tv. I think that this would bring in some good viewership and boost interest in chess in Canada.
    Maybe even a friendly chess boxing match? I’ll happily chip in towards a winner takes all prize fund!
    i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post

Maybe even a friendly chess boxing match? I’ll happily chip in towards a winner takes all prize fund!
      Maybe get Jonathan Yu to chip in too?

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

There is nothing that can be done to resolve what happened. What can we do going forward?
        This situation, indeed, cannot be played back, but it can be greatly smoothed out. If Yang Kaiqi found the courage to admit that he made a rash decision under the influence of emotion; that he regrets it (and even apologies to the team); that it would be more correct to finish the tournament first, and only then express his concerns; such a move would undoubtedly only increase the respect for GM Kaiqi in the Canadian chess community, and preserve his reputation.

At the same time, such recognition would in no way mean that GM Kaiqi agreed with the Captain's decisions and, if desired, he could continue to defend his point of view.

All people make mistakes sometimes, even good men. But not everyone has the courage to admit these mistakes.

Do we have a chance for a happy ending in this story? I don't know. As Kerry Liles pointed out, Chess players have egos - many are quite large and expanding”.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post

This situation, indeed, cannot be played back, but it can be greatly smoothed out. If Yang Kaiqi found the courage to admit that he made a rash decision under the influence of emotion; that he regrets it (and even apologies to the team); that it would be more correct to finish the tournament first, and only then express his concerns; such a move would undoubtedly only increase the respect for GM Kaiqi in the Canadian chess community, and preserve his reputation.

At the same time, such recognition would in no way mean that GM Kaiqi agreed with the Captain's decisions and, if desired, he could continue to defend his point of view.

All people make mistakes sometimes, even good men. But not everyone has the courage to admit these mistakes.

Do we have a chance for a happy ending in this story? I don't know. As Kerry Liles pointed out, Chess players have egos - many are quite large and expanding”.
          I believe this is wise counsel.

The last thing that anyone wants is for us to lose another grandmaster like what has happened too many times in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
            As Kerry Liles pointed out, Chess players have egos - many are quite large and expanding”.
            Lost mine.....many years back....a long time ego!

Comment

Sorry but quitting on your team over a perceived slight is an absolute no go to me. You play for the logo on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Maybe the captain's reasoning was sound. Maybe not. Not worth quitting over, especially less than halfway through the event.

Comment

Kaiqi has stated his regret more than once to me in email. This is what he said to me in email moments before I posted my comment to Mr. Victor Itkine which email I had not read as it came in as I was typing my reply.

Originally posted by Grandmaster Kaiqi Yang
                I sincerely apologize to CFC, and to you, as the president of CFC, and to the whole team, for my decision of quitting in the middle of the tournament. I hope my situation will not happen again for future players.
                Thank you again, Vlad. I sincerely appreciate your all-time kindness to me.

Best,
                Kaiqi

I think we should move on from this.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 27th August, 2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster Kaiqi Yang
                  I sincerely apologize to CFC, and to you, as the president of CFC, and to the whole team, for my decision of quitting in the middle of the tournament.

We definitely have significant progress here.

Hey, all trolls!

There will be no friendly chess boxing match. Swallow your drool.

Comment

Working...
                  X