Can Biden win?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Won't you be surprised then, when Trump wins.
    I tend to agree that Trump is likely to win, though a lot of water will pass under the bridge between now and November. How could anyone vote for a man who is both senile and asleep? If the Democrats had run someone like Andrew Cuomo then I think Trump would have been beaten, but it is difficult to imagine how anyone except those who suffer the misfortune of being deaf could vote for Joe Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Won't you be surprised then, when Trump wins.
      I wouldn't be surprised; anything can happen from now until the election. Right now though, Biden is the clear favourite, and it's very different compared to 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

I wouldn't be surprised; anything can happen from now until the election. Right now though, Biden is the clear favourite, and it's very different compared to 2016.
        Perhaps, but you are not looking at all the data. We'll see. Its not like this discussion on chesstalk will change anything. Most of us are not eligible to vote in this election.

When Hillary comes out and says that Biden should not concede no matter what and Nancy Pelosi says Biden should not debate with Trump, it becomes clearer which way the wind is blowing.

My 2021 campaign staff don't want me commenting on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

I tend to agree that Trump is likely to win, though a lot of water will pass under the bridge between now and November. How could anyone vote for a man who is both senile and asleep? If the Democrats had run someone like Andrew Cuomo then I think Trump would have been beaten, but it is difficult to imagine how anyone except those who suffer the misfortune of being deaf could vote for Joe Biden.
          Andrew Cuomo has his own vulnerabilities some of which he is trying to pass off as Trump's problems. I don't think its going to stick. The campaign really starts now after Labour Day and there will be several October surprises. We can pop the popcorn and watch the entertainment and know that the more outrageous promises will not come to pass no matter what happens.

Comment

Politics aside, anyone want to make predictions for fun? State the winner, and margin of victory. :-)

My prediction is Biden will win by a good margin, he will have at least 330.

Obama had 330 in 2012,and he had over 360 in 2008.

Comment

My prediction is that there will be a terrorist attack on a post office full of mail-in ballots, the States will blame and bomb Venezuela, Blacks in voter lines will be shot, voting cancelled in rioting areas, Biden will receive a 10 million majority but lose the electoral college.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                My prediction is that there will be a terrorist attack on a post office full of mail-in ballots, the States will blame and bomb Venezuela, Blacks in voter lines will be shot, voting cancelled in rioting areas, Biden will receive a 10 million majority but lose the electoral college.
                I will not attempt to be so specific, but I would agree that the chances of a normal, fair and peaceful election where the winner is decided and declared late election eve are about the same as the chances of Trump becoming a rocket scientist. The shit is going to hit the fan to be sure, and it could get very ugly.

Comment

The show must go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

There are also threads about Covid - and not just about how chess in general is affected by Covid (which would make sense on a chess website...
                    It is what it is ... oops sorry. More politico.
                    I don't have a big problem with off-topic threads per se. Brad Thomson in another post points out how he has known many of the posters in this thread (or other political ones) for many years. In many ways ChessSquawk is a *community* albeit almost exclusively chess players. People in a community like to talk about all kinds of things with people that they "know" whether from in-person meetings or just on-line discussion.

What I do not like is a proliferation of off-topic threads to the point where the noise drowns out the signal of the on-topic (chess-related) threads. I also object to the co-opting of legitimate threads to become off-topic, or worse off-off-topic. The Covid-19 thread is an example. It started out as a thread about the impact upon organized chess and chess-players by the Covid-19 outbreak. It would be normal to expect that it would involve discussion about the impact upon chess, chess-pleayers and how they were coping, and about Covid-19 in general. In the Covid-19 discussion it would be inevitable that comments upon different governments' responses (particularly Canada and the U.S.) would come up.

The thread started out that way but right now the thread has devolved into mostly Trump/Biden political commentary/name calling/posturing, frequently involving claims without much basis.

So I don't object to *this* thread, since it is clearly labelled and I can ignore it or not as my fancy tickles me. I do object to chess-relevant threads being hijacked to the point where somebody has to start a new thread just to return to the original topic.

Steve

Comment

Does anybody know how to use an engine to evaluate a list of positions using FEN?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        I do object to chess-relevant threads being hijacked to the point where somebody has to start a new thread just to return to the original topic.
                        Yes, hopefully everyone will respect this principle and Hugh will stay with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
                          Does anybody know how to use an engine to evaluate a list of positions using FEN?
                          I think you need to input them one by one to make a .cbh database of the positions.

In the chessbase program I have go: Tools - Analysis - Process set test. Then Open the .cbh database of positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
                            I think this is a BRILLIANT post: Mario is trying to hijack an often mindless American political thread, and divert it into a CHESS THREAD!! I bow to Mario, supremely well played sir!

Comment

I don't know which is worst! The prospect of the presidential election, or reading more of the absolute political rubbish on this site? And I can only control one of them......
                              Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I think this is a BRILLIANT post: Mario is trying to hijack an often mindless American political thread, and divert it into a CHESS THREAD!! I bow to Mario, supremely well played sir!
                                Kudos to Mario too, but personally I think he should have started a new thread and not polluted this with useful questions and the inevitable valuable information to follow. Signal v Noise
                                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X