Canadian coaches ( & how to reach them )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amit R
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicolas Soudre View Post
    Hi im also a canadian coach . My profile on chess.com https://www.chess.com/member/slimnico

you can also reach me on slimnico@hotmail.com

I teach in french and english

Thx :)

Nico
    Thank you for sharing, Nico ; I've added you to the list in the first post.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Soudre
    replied
    Hi im also a canadian coach . My profile on chess.com https://www.chess.com/member/slimnico

you can also reach me on slimnico@hotmail.com

I teach in french and english

Thx :)

Nico

Leave a comment:

• Vlad Drkulec
    replied
    Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

In the past chess teachers were out on their own but you notice that Board of Ed teachers have a union and regular professional development. I like the ideas of chess teachers forming a professional association that has standards to be certified. There are courses in education and marketing skills that chess teachers can learn from. Besides sharing reviews of books and websites and ideas that make their chess class fun.

Is it worthwhile to get a FIDE Instructor title? Is it just a cash grab for FIDE or does it mean something?

FIDE Senior Trainer CAN
    Bareev, Evgeny GM FST

FIDE Trainers CAN
    Jardines Rabilero, Alejandro FM FT
    Noritsyn, Nikolay IM FT
    Pelts, Roman FM
    Plotkin, Victor FM
    Yang, Kaiqi GM

FIDE Instructors CAN
    Bond, Hal IA,FI,IO
    Demian, Valer CM
    Djerkovic, Miladin
    Drkulec, Vlado FI
    Hambleton, Aman GM
    Kapush, Oleksandr FI
    Ochkoos, Jura FM
    Ondul, Aydin FI
    Rekhson, Vladislav IA
    von Keitz, Michael

National Instructors CAN
    Botez, Andrei FA
    Klokow, John NI
    It is a useful title if you want to be a coach or captain for a Canadian team at a FIDE event and have the organizer pay for your accommodations. It is actually a useful seminar, though it would probably be better to take it in a more amenable time zone than Azerbaijan as in my case. I did struggle to stay awake at times. I took the class with Aman Hambleton and Hal Bond. I can't remember if Victor Plotkin was there or not as his previous seminar might have still been valid. I did get to meet a lot of grandmasters who were lecturers and who I had previously only known through their books and videos for chessbase.

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Good points, Egidijus ; I've updated the coaches links to superprof, lichess and chess.com right at the beginning of the post.

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Just search there for chess and you overfill the table :) I think chess.com and lichess have coach corners to search by various criteria. Considering that probably 90% these days coaching is online parents/players should not limit their search geographically. The same thing for coaches look wider for pupils.

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Originally posted by Amit R View Post
    https://www.superprof.ca
    Just search there for chess and you overfill the table :) I think chess.com and lichess have coach corners to search by various criteria. Considering that probably 90% these days coaching is online parents/players should not limit their search geographically. The same thing for coaches look wider for pupils.

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Updated with 10 more ; thank you so much, Erik, for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Updated. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post

Leave a comment:

• Alex Starks
    replied
    NM Zach Dukic

https://www.chess.com/member/dukicz123

Coaching Services:

I offer lessons to players rated from 1300-2100 using chess.com's live analysis board as well as Skype to communicate. For enquiries, please email me at dukicz123@hotmail.com,

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Thanks for sharing, Erik ; updated all the ones I could find.

In the past chess teachers were out on their own but you notice that Board of Ed teachers have a union and regular professional development. I like the ideas of chess teachers forming a professional association that has standards to be certified. There are courses in education and marketing skills that chess teachers can learn from. Besides sharing reviews of books and websites and ideas that make their chess class fun.

Is it worthwhile to get a FIDE Instructor title? Is it just a cash grab for FIDE or does it mean something?

FIDE Senior Trainer CAN
    Bareev, Evgeny GM FST

FIDE Trainers CAN
    Noritsyn, Nikolay IM FT
    Pelts, Roman FM
    Plotkin, Victor FM
    Yang, Kaiqi GM

FIDE Instructors CAN
    Bond, Hal IA,FI,IO
    Demian, Valer CM
    Djerkovic, Miladin
    Drkulec, Vlado FI
    Hambleton, Aman GM
    Kapush, Oleksandr FI
    Ochkoos, Jura FM
    Ondul, Aydin FI
    Rekhson, Vladislav IA
    von Keitz, Michael

National Instructors CAN
    Botez, Andrei FA
    Klokow, John NI

Leave a comment:

• Egidijus Zeromskis
    replied
    Is it worthwhile to get a FIDE Instructor title? Is it just a cash grab for FIDE or does it mean something
    I think one of those titles is required to be a coach of the national delegation in youth tournaments (to get a free accommodation irc).

Leave a comment:

• Erik Malmsten
    replied
    Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    I think this list is a useful general service just like the one on the CFC site used to be. I think the time of little kingdoms is in the past. When I left Toronto I gave all my schools to Goran Milicevic and referred some students to Mike McArthur (amongst others). I have since referred students to many of Toronto's top coaches and in the Kitchener area as well. I also have had offers to teach with many of Toronto's top coaches and have recently turned them all down. I dont have the energy anymore to do extensive teaching or training. Maybe there is still alot of competitiveness amongst coaches in TO (perhaps there always will be) but I think coaches and organizations are more willing to work together than in the past. (I thank Ted and his legacy amongst others for that)

FIDE Senior Trainer CAN
    Bareev, Evgeny GM FST

FIDE Trainers CAN
    Noritsyn, Nikolay IM FT
    Pelts, Roman FM
    Plotkin, Victor FM
    Yang, Kaiqi GM

FIDE Instructors CAN
    Bond, Hal IA,FI,IO
    Demian, Valer CM
    Djerkovic, Miladin
    Drkulec, Vlado FI
    Hambleton, Aman GM
    Kapush, Oleksandr FI
    Ochkoos, Jura FM
    Ondul, Aydin FI
    Rekhson, Vladislav IA
    von Keitz, Michael

National Instructors CAN
    Botez, Andrei FA
    Klokow, John NI

Leave a comment:

• Hans Jung
    replied
    I think this list is a useful general service just like the one on the CFC site used to be. I think the time of little kingdoms is in the past. When I left Toronto I gave all my schools to Goran Milicevic and referred some students to Mike McArthur (amongst others). I have since referred students to many of Toronto's top coaches and in the Kitchener area as well. I also have had offers to teach with many of Toronto's top coaches and have recently turned them all down. I dont have the energy anymore to do extensive teaching or training. Maybe there is still alot of competitiveness amongst coaches in TO (perhaps there always will be) but I think coaches and organizations are more willing to work together than in the past. (I thank Ted and his legacy amongst others for that)

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Well, Erik, I was searching for coaches for my son, and found the information rather scattered. This is the genesis for the list.

I had meant to use this list for standalone coaches/teachers i.e. those who aren't working through a club/school. This was just because their contact details are usually more obscure/scattered, while clubs/schools etc., have contact details readily available. Of course, some teachers are also part of larger organized efforts, or even have their own websites.

I've added Liza Orlova and Mike Ivanov to the list. Not adding any clubs for now, since chess.ca had such a list . At least, the old site did.

Not really rigid about a definition of coach/trainer/teacher ; I am happy to add any individual who is known to impart chess education in Canada (am including links to their FIDE IDs to help people get a better idea about the teacher's credentials) .

Out of curiosity, who are the GM teachers in Montreal ?

I don't really understand this list. What is the difference between a coach or trainer or teacher? Does the coach have to be a master? Does the student have to be above 1200 or 1400 or 1600 or 1800?? Have they a history of their students going on to be masters?

I remember when I was involved with the GTCL and tried making a list of chess teachers. I thought it would be great to have a public list, but there was resistance, somehow they were competing with each other; They have their own little kingdoms. The old CFC website had a table of chess teachers. Some could be found on the CMA discussion board. Even on chesstalk Ken of Oakville is promoting his Elevate your Chess teachers and Larry posted some online teachers and I added in Liza Orlova. In Markham there's Mike Ivanov at Canada Chess Youth Club. There are the winning teams from Seneca Hills and Philip Math Chess Academy (David Peng) is also in Eastern North York. In western Toronto there's Chess for Children (Goran Milicevic) and the Annex Chess Club teaches adult beginners. There are the GM teachers in Montreal.
    Last edited by Amit R; Sunday, 13th September, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amit R
    replied
    Thank you for sharing, Mike ; updated :-)

Originally posted by Mike Ivanov View Post
    Thanks for organizing Amit, may be useful for some. My info if needed: mastermikechess@gmail.com, canadachess.ca. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Ivanov
    replied
    Thanks for organizing Amit, may be useful for some. My info if needed: mastermikechess@gmail.com, canadachess.ca. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X