gambit repertoires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gambit repertoires

So during this pandemic, I've been gaining an interest in gambit openings, which is not my usual "style".

If you have a gambit repertoire, I would be interested in your suggestions. I'm in the 1800-2000 range.

Thanks!

I play the Benko in blitz.

Comment

I don't play many gambits myself, but one that I have been seeing more often in online Blitz games is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5. I think it's actually an okay opening for Black, White is slightly better with correct play, but not crushing.,

Your biggest issue with a Gambit repertoire for Black is responding to 1.d4 2.Nf3 stuff. I was trying the Benko for awhile, since 1.d4 c5 2.Nf3 is not so good for White, and I used to reply to 2.c3 with 2...Qa5!? trying to take on d4 and force White to take back with the Queen. However I was consistently getting bad positions in the main line Benko so I eventually gave it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        I play the Benko in blitz.
        Thanks Ken. I don't think I would have considered that before your post.
        If you've also played it at regular slow speed, I would welcome thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
          I don't play many gambits myself, but one that I have been seeing more often in online Blitz games is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5. I think it's actually an okay opening for Black, White is slightly better with correct play, but not crushing.,

Your biggest issue with a Gambit repertoire for Black is responding to 1.d4 2.Nf3 stuff. I was trying the Benko for awhile, since 1.d4 c5 2.Nf3 is not so good for White, and I used to reply to 2.c3 with 2...Qa5!? trying to take on d4 and force White to take back with the Queen. However I was consistently getting bad positions in the main line Benko so I eventually gave it up.
          Thanks Patrick, I appreciate these insights "from experience".

Comment

The Benko is a good addition to any player's repertoire. It has been heavily played now for 50 years (and was played even in the 1920s and 1930s by adventurous souls), so some preparation is a must. I have had success with it.
            One line I have had success with, and which is not heavily booked, is in the Russian. It can be a dry system, and requires a lot of knowledge in the main lines. For a livelier game, try this: CF: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bc4!? This was played now and then in the mid-1800s, but seems to be almost extinct today. My new idea is 3...Nxe4 4.O-O!? d5 5.Bb3. White has sacked his e-pawn, but he will have some play coming. It is not in the books! Have fun!

Comment

I used to love gambits when below 1600. Have to memorize the sharpest lines. Today, computers don't like them. Are kids today prepared to meet them? The King's Gambit is good for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Thanks Ken. I don't think I would have considered that before your post.
                If you've also played it at regular slow speed, I would welcome thoughts.
                The Benko Gambit is pretty good though you will often be playing the black side of an English opening when white declines it so you will be advised to study up on the hedgehog. I myself play 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 when I am not in the mood for a tactical fight (about one third of the time) or I just want to take my opponent out of their comfort zone. Online I often get 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.b3 which is very close to a resignation by white I also have a pretty good record against the Benko as white but it is often with a feeling of riding on the back of a tiger with disaster often one bad move away. My last tournament game was a Benko Gambit as black where I beat a FIDE master in a Michigan tournament in a game which both of us needed to win in order to share second place in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                  The Benko is a good addition to any player's repertoire. It has been heavily played now for 50 years (and was played even in the 1920s and 1930s by adventurous souls), so some preparation is a must. I have had success with it.
                  One line I have had success with, and which is not heavily booked, is in the Russian. It can be a dry system, and requires a lot of knowledge in the main lines. For a livelier game, try this: CF: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bc4!? This was played now and then in the mid-1800s, but seems to be almost extinct today. My new idea is 3...Nxe4 4.O-O!? d5 5.Bb3. White has sacked his e-pawn, but he will have some play coming. It is not in the books! Have fun!
                  Thanks Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    I used to love gambits when below 1600. Have to memorize the sharpest lines. Today, computers don't like them. Are kids today prepared to meet them? The King's Gambit is good for a change.
                    Yes, I agree about the allure of the King's Gambit. At faster speed games, if I try a Vienna that's not properly replied to, i.e. I love transposing into a King's Gambit after 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. f4

Regarding opponents being prepared, does that even happen at my level (~1800), like even if I know you like the Evan's for example, wouldn't I just steer away from it, get you to "neutral turf"?

Keep the comments coming, I really like them!

Comment

[QUOTE=Patrick Kirby;n208424]I don't play many gambits myself, but one that I have been seeing more often in online Blitz games is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5. I think it's actually an okay opening for Black, White is slightly better with correct play, but not crushing.,

I thought this gambit had been solved with this variant:
                      1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5 3. exd5 e4 4. Qe2 Nf6 5. Nc3 Be7 6. Nxe4 (+-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

The Benko Gambit is pretty good though you will often be playing the black side of an English opening when white declines it so you will be advised to study up on the hedgehog. I myself play 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 when I am not in the mood for a tactical fight (about one third of the time) or I just want to take my opponent out of their comfort zone. Online I often get 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 b5 4.b3 which is very close to a resignation by white I also have a pretty good record against the Benko as white but it is often with a feeling of riding on the back of a tiger with disaster often one bad move away. My last tournament game was a Benko Gambit as black where I beat a FIDE master in a Michigan tournament in a game which both of us needed to win in order to share second place in the tournament.
                        "which is very close to a resignation by white" --- that's really funny!

Regarding your tiger analogy, yeah, I agree, but for some reason, lately, I don't mind that feeling as much, maybe because what have I got to lose except some online slow rating points, lol

Comment

[QUOTE=Yves Trottier;n208443]
                          Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post

I thought this gambit had been solved with this variant:
                          1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5 3. exd5 e4 4. Qe2 Nf6 5. Nc3 Be7 6. Nxe4 (+-)

yeah, I found that in an article on the Elephant Gambit, but not much else ... thanks Yves

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I myself play 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 when I am not in the mood for a tactical fight ...
                            1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. Nf3 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d5 6. cxd5 Bc5 (Kasparov) is one way for Black to get a sharp position anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. Nf3 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d5 6. cxd5 Bc5 (Kasparov) is one way for Black to get a sharp position anyway.
                              Thanks Stephen. During this gambit research, I'm finding out just how much there is to learn when the opponent doesn't even let you get there, or declines when offered. Having fun with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X