gambit repertoires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The line mentioned in several posts above -- 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 5.Nb5 d5 6.cxd5 Bc5 -- is something of an anti-Benko line from White, but it is sharp and interesting in its own right! It is most certainly not a quiet variation! It is generally known as the Kevitz Gambit, after Alexander Kevitz (1903-81), a New York Master who was close to IM strength at his peak.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      The line mentioned in several posts above -- 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 4.Nxd4 e5 5.Nb5 d5 6.cxd5 Bc5 -- is something of an anti-Benko line from White, but it is sharp and interesting in its own right! It is most certainly not a quiet variation! It is generally known as the Kevitz Gambit, after Alexander Kevitz (1903-81), a New York Master who was close to IM strength at his peak.
      Oh, maybe I'm confused, I thought the Kevitz was:
      1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 g6 4.c3 f5

Comment

[QUOTE=Aris Marghetis;n208445]
        Originally posted by Yves Trottier View Post

yeah, I found that in an article on the Elephant Gambit, but not much else ... thanks Yves
        There are no bad openings only bad players...
        I like to play 1.e4 e5 2.d4!? the only problem is my bad playing...

Comment

In 2017 New In Chess published My First Opening Repertoire for Black by Vincent Moret. Designed for ambitious beginners, the repertoire recommends aggressive systems for black. Against e4 Moret gives the Scandinavian, including the Icelandic Gambit and the Portuguese Variation (see also David Smerdon), against d4 the Albin Countergambit, or when that is avoided the Stonewall. Not for me, but playing such openings has more to do with style and being comfortable with the resultant positions rather than objective soundness.

Here in the Pacific Northwest there are a couple of players who have achieved legendary status for their use of gambits, Ernst Rasmussen with the Blackmar-Diemer and Viktors Pupols with the Latvian.
          Last edited by Stephen Wright; Thursday, 24th September, 2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yves Trottier;n208443]
            Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
            I don't play many gambits myself, but one that I have been seeing more often in online Blitz games is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d5. I think it's actually an okay opening for Black, White is slightly better with correct play, but not crushing.,

I thought this gambit had been solved with this variant:
            1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d5 3. exd5 e4 4. Qe2 Nf6 5. Nc3 Be7 6. Nxe4 (+-)

That's probably one of the best lines. White is a pawn up but with a passive position. White is better, but +- is overstating things. I wouldn't recommend it against a GM, but in 3 minute Internet Blitz I think Black has a playable position.

Also, 4...Qe7, instead of Nf6 deserves consideration for Black.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yves Trottier;n208453]
              Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

There are no bad openings only bad players...
              I like to play 1.e4 e5 2.d4!? the only problem is my bad playing...
              I hear ya ;))

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                In 2017 New In Chess published My First Opening Repertoire for Black by Vincent Moret. Designed for ambitious beginners, the repertoire recommends aggressive systems for black. Against e4 Moret gives the Scandinavian, including the Icelandic Gambit and the Portuguese Variation (see also David Smerdon), against d4 the Albin Countergambit, or when that is avoided the Stonewall. Not for me, but playing such openings has more to do with style and being comfortable with the resultant positions rather than objective soundness.

Here in the Pacific Northwest there are a couple of players who have achieved legendary status for their use of gambits, Ernst Rasmussen with the Blackmar-Diemer and Viktors Pupols with the Latvian.
                Good ideas Stephen, something more for me to peruse during Thursday Night Football tonight, thanks!!

Comment

During this gambit research, I'm finding out just how much there is to learn when the opponent doesn't even let you get there, or declines when offered. Having fun with this.
                  One challenge with a gambit repertoire for White is that so many Black players have a decline-the-gambit response that is perfectly adequate, e.g. early ...d5 vs King's Gambit, declining the Morra with ...Nf6 turns it into an Alapin. I don't think those are objectively the best moves, but they're close enough to equality and they definitely make make Black's prep simpler, and most players are happy enough with that as Black.

But players seem to want more with White, which may explain why so many of the gambit suggestions here are for gambits with Black.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post

One challenge with a gambit repertoire for White is that so many Black players have a decline-the-gambit response that is perfectly adequate, e.g. early ...d5 vs King's Gambit, declining the Morra with ...Nf6 turns it into an Alapin. I don't think those are objectively the best moves, but they're close enough to equality and they definitely make make Black's prep simpler, and most players are happy enough with that as Black.

But players seem to want more with White, which may explain why so many of the gambit suggestions here are for gambits with Black.
                    yes thanks, good points John --- so far I'm appreciating the feeling of not playing the same things over and over, especially as gambits seem less predictable to stay in "expected" theory

Comment

So during this pandemic, I've been gaining an interest in gambit openings, which is not my usual "style".

If you have a gambit repertoire, I would be interested in your suggestions. I'm in the 1800-2000 range.

Thanks!
                      I find at 1800-2000 range, b pawns are not particularly useful in the middlegame, and it's normally fun and fine to push them to b4 and b5. The endgame odds given tend to be highly technical at rating range as well...

d pawn gambits tend to be more of theoretical battles. I wouldn't play a d pawn gambit in a serious game.

Comment

Gambits are a lot of fun to play and great surprise weapons. But they are also alot of work to prepare. I wouldnt recommend playing them regularly in tournaments as they are too easy to prepare against. Back in the 90's I used to play the Smith Morra and King's Gambit regularly and had a lot of exciting wins but also a lot of debacles and finally the computer put a stop to that.
                        Recently I still play the Max Lange (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.0-0 Nf6 5.d4) but thats mainly in homage to Kolty (Koltanowski) who made that gambit an art form.
                        I would recommend whatever your opening is to add a little spice to it with one or two gambits (ex.1. d4 Blackmar Diemer or 1.e4 e5 Evans Gambit) and use it as the occasional surprise.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Hans!

Comment

I love to crush the French Defence, generally speaking most any cowardly defence that has for its first move a wimpy pawn push of one single square forward.

So naturally for the French Defence I enjoy playing The Reti Gambit ... 1.e4 e6 2.b3 ...

The Reti Gambit data:
                            https://www.365chess.com/opening.php...b3&ns=3.16.189

YT quick starter:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_11xOtQdo

Enjoy :))))

Comment

Thanks Ken. I don't think I would have considered that before your post.
                              If you've also played it at regular slow speed, I would welcome thoughts.
                              I played the Benko pretty successfully at that 1900-2000 level, for many years. Many players will avoid 3. d5 or 2. c4, so you need some other options.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

I played the Benko pretty successfully at that 1900-2000 level, for many years. Many players will avoid 3. d5 or 2. c4, so you need some other options.
                                fully agree, thanks Fred

Comment

Working...
                                X