English Double GM's brother shares 2020 Physics Nobel Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Double GM's brother shares 2020 Physics Nobel Prize

Yesterday, England's Dr. Sir Roger Penrose was among three scientists who shared the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physics, for their pioneering roles in researching black holes. Professor Penrose, currently of Oxford University, shared the award with Dr. Andrea Ghez (University of California, Los Angeles) and Dr. Reinhard Genzel (Max Planck Institute, Garching, Germany). Congratulations to all three scientists!!!
    Roger, 89, is the older brother of Dr. Jonathan Penrose, ten times British Chess Champion, who holds a GM title (Honorary) for over-the-board chess, as well as the GM title for correspondence chess.
    I have an autographed copy of Roger's wonderful book 'The Emperor's New Mind', which my late father Donald Dixon (1932-2014) arranged for me, when he met Roger at a conference in the early 1990s. Some very deep stuff in it!! Jonathan, retired professor of psychology, is perhaps best known for defeating World Champion GM Mikhail Tal at the 1960 Leipzig Olympiad, from the White side of a Modern Benoni, on Tal's birthday! Jonathan is celebrating his 87th birthday today!
Working...
X