Mystery game #26: Mate threat countered by mating attack!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #26: Mate threat countered by mating attack!!

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, and offer input as to strengths and identities of players, era, setting, format, time controls, and so forth. I will provide the full data in a few days. Enjoy!

1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.g3 Bc5 5.Bg2 d6 6.d3 h6 7.O-O Be6 8.h3 Qd7 9.Kh2 O-O-O 10.a3 Nh7 11.b4 Bd4 12.Qc2 f6 13.Rb1 Ng5 14.Ng1 Nf7 15.Nb5 h5 16.c5 a6 17.Bxc6 bxc6 18.Nxd4 exd4 19.a4 g5 20.b5 cxb5 21.c6 Qe7 22.axb5 Bd5 23.Ra1 Ne5 24.Rxa6 Ng4+, 0-1.

Thank you Frank for posting this game. It is rare to see Black dominate in a game so fast and effective. I suspect its played with rapid time controls.I will be looking forward to see more details when you post it.

Comment

Thanks to Lorne for his positive comments!
      Jeff Towers (1955) -- Garry Barankin (UNR), Kingston Chess Club vs. Queen's University Chess Club team match, board 3, Kingston 1995, played 1995-01-16, time controls 30/90, SD/60.
      This was the second of three different occasions during 1994-95 on which the two main Kingston clubs got together for some interclub rivalry! The series goes back to the 1950s, but has been dormant in recent years. These matches were typically NOT CFC-rated. Jeff had recently won the 1994 Whig-Standard Championship, after returning to organized chess just a couple of years earlier. Wayne Coppin (rated ~2050) and Geoff McKay (~2000) played the top two boards for KCC on this night. Garry, a third-year Queen's Commerce student from Toronto, had shown up at the Queen's club a few months earlier, for his first foray into rated chess. He earned a provisional rating in the mid 1800s in his first event, a few weeks before this match, but that hadn't formally been rated / published yet. I spent some time with him that fall, with many friendly games and some analysis sessions, and felt he was good enough for board three for this match; Matthew Struthers was on board one, and I played board two; note that the QUCC has a long tradition of allowing community members to take part; players don't have to be Queen's students, faculty, or staff. Garry proved me right with his performance in this game!
      In the game, White makes a major, rather risky decision at move 17, by exchanging his light bishop for the N/c6; this leaves him weak in his own king's field, but creates attacking chances as well, in this opposite-sided castling battle. Black clearly had aggressive intentions, successfully launching a 'Freak' type of attack, coordinated beautifully, using his h-pawn, R/h8, bishop posted strongly at d5, and then the maneuvering knight delivering the deciding check, 24...Ng4+!! What a lovely combination!! White resigned, due to forced mate in three: 25.hxg4 hxg4+ 26.Nh3 Rxh3+ 27.Kg1 Rh1#. Both Jeff and Garry have been away from organized chess for several years. I have long believed that Garry, who reached 2100, could be at least NM and perhaps even FM, were he to pursue tournament chess in a dedicated manner over a period of several years.

Comment

Working...
      X