Mystery game #29: Well-fought draw, ringed by controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #29: Well-fought draw, ringed by controversy

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, offer opinions on era, setting, player identities and strengths, time controls, and so forth. I will reveal all details in a few days. Enjoy!!

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 6.Ndb5 d6 7.Bg5 a6 8.Na3 b5 9.Bxf6 gxf6 10.Nd5 Bg7 11.c3 f5 12.g3 fxe4 13.Bg2 Be6 14.Bxe4 O-O 15.O-O Rc8 16.Nc2 f5 17.Bg2 Kh8 18.a3 Ne7 19.Nce3 Ng6 20.Qh5 Qe8 21.Rad1 f4 22.Nc2 f3 23.Bh3 Nf4 24.Nxf4 Qxh5 25.Nxh5 Bxh3 26.Rfe1 Rcd8 27.Nxg7 Kxg7 28.Ne3 Be6 29.Rd2 d5 30.Red1 Rd7 31.h4 Rfd8 32.Kh2 d4 33.cxd4 exd4 34.Nc2 d3 35.Ne1 Bb3 36.Rc1 Re7 37.Nxf3 Re2 38.Rc3 Rxd2 39.Nxd2 Bc2 40.Kg2 Re8 41.Rc7+ Kf6 42.Rd7 Re2 43.Nf3 Ke6 44.Rd8 Ke7 45.Rd5 Bb1, 1/2--1/2.

Jaime Solis (~1900) -- Glen Barber (~2000), Canadian Open, Kapuskasing 2004 (10). Played 2004-07-18, time controls 40/120, SD/60.

I am going to discuss my troubles with the scoresheets first. For the longest time, having spent about ten hours on trying to decipher this game, between 2004 and last week, I was stumped. The scoresheets were fine up to about move 35, and then the players got short of time, and there were many errors, different errors! Cross-outs, missing moves, slipped columns, etc. I finally had to expand the number of moves to 45, with both scoresheets ending at 44, and this worked! So, now we have the game.

Next, some brief comments on the game itself. It is in the popular Sicilian Lasker / Pelikan / Sveshnikov variation, ECO Code B33. Theory runs deep in many sub-variations, as the line became very popular starting in the late 1960s. Black looked to have an edge in the middlegame, but he allowed the exchange of queens around move 24, and a lot of further material was also exchanged, in a fancy tactical sequence which looked strong for Black, but actually proved fairly innocuous. Black got a central passed pawn, but White found an accurate defense to score the draw. If Black were to retain the queens at this stage, he may have been able to increase his advantage.

Now for the key aspect. About an hour into the round, with the round running well, I was on my way out of the playing hall, to a ten-minute break, being spelled off from arbiter duty by a colleague (we had a total of five organizers and arbiters for 124 players), with the playing sessions six hours long. I wanted some fresh air. However, the worker at the chess merchandise table flagged me down. He told me that one of the players had been studying a certain book which was for sale, and then went back into the tournament hall! I asked him to show me the book, and asked him if he could recognize the player. He showed me the book, and then we walked to the door of the playing hall, and he pointed out Mr. Solis! I decided to notify Head Arbiter IA Serge Archambeault right away, and Serge told me to take charge of the situation; he said he would advise as necessary. We entered the hall together, found the Solis -- Barber board, and I saw immediately that the board contained a position which likely came from the variation in the book I had just inspected! When I examined the scoresheets, this was confirmed. I then paused the game clock, and instructed both players to follow Serge and I out of the playing hall. Serge stood with Glen, out of earshot of Jaime and I. I asked Jaime if he had been looking at a chess book during the round. He denied it. Then the merchandise table worker came over, and he said that he had seen Jaime do this. Jaime then admitted he had done so. At this point, Serge walked over with Glen. I explained the circumstances which had occurred, to Glen. Predictably, he was angry. Any player would have been. I asked Serge what would be the procedure to follow now. Serge said I could EITHER 1) issue a warning to Jaime, for his illegal conduct, OR, 2) to forfeit him in the game, awarding the point to Glen. I thought for a few seconds, and decided to issue the warning to Jaime, doing so in an authoritative manner, without taking it to excess. Jaime, a veteran tournament player from Toronto, apologized to Glen, a young junior from Ottawa. I told Jaime that I would be watching him very closely for the rest of the round (it was the last round), and that he had to get my permission to leave the room. Glen was still angry, and I told him that he could appeal my decision to the Appeals Committee for the Championship, if he was not satisfied. Jaime did not cause any further problems, as it turned out. The game was resumed, and about five hours into the round, it finished as a draw. Glen did appeal, and my decision, with the issued warning, was upheld. There is a record of this incident with the CFC archives. Until now, however, all the pieces had not been brought together, since the scoresheets were a problem. Now, they are solved, and we have the full picture!! Glen went on to raise his rating to just below 2200, a few years later. Jaime had been up to 2000 some years before this game. Jaime's conduct was terrible. Many arbiters would have forfeited him for this.

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Comment

Working...
    X