Mystery game #33: Can this really be legitimate championship tournament chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #33: Can this really be legitimate championship tournament chess?

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, offer opinions on player strength, setting, era, time controls, and so forth. I will provide all data in a few days. Enjoy!

1.Na3 Na6 2.Nb1 Nb8 3.Na3 Na6 4.Nb1 Nb8 5.Na3 Na6 6.Nb1 Nb8, 1/2--1/2.

Seriously? What is there to enjoy? Obviously an agreed draw and I presume old enough to be before the rules about pre-arranged draws or 30 move minimum games etc.
    No doubt this was between two normally famous people otherwise it wouldn't be "interesting".
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks, Kerry, for your valid points.
      This 'game', played in a national championship tournament in Canada, is actually more recent than the date of imposition on rules on minimum moves or pre-arranged draws. This is part of why it is interesting, since it is a 3-fold repetition as well, so could provide potential grounds for legitimacy, in the eyes of some. I put it in here, since there are some recent threads on this board concerning cheating in chess, which is a very broad and deep subject!
      THIS GAME is also a counterpoint to the 132-move game posted in the most recent installment of this 'Mystery games' series, and there is another connection to that game, which will be revealed soon as well!.

Comment

Fair enough Frank... I did think about 3-fold repetition and this "game" proves that there is an obvious flaw in rules like 3-fold repetition. I am not an arbiter so I have no idea whether the arbiter in a tournament could declare such a hot mess as a double forfeit, but I presume that *could* happen. Now THAT might be news worthy. lol
        It is (as you point out) a good question whether such obvious collusion is equivalent to cheating - I guess a lot of that depends on the definitions of terms and determination of intent.
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Monday, 2nd November, 2020, 12:57 PM. Reason: spelling in first word(!) yikes
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
        X