Chess trivia: who is this player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess trivia: who is this player?

Can you identify the player? Bonuses: can you identify "the Canadian" and/or the "well-known European GM"?

1) This player's parents emigrated just after WW2 (possibly just before WW2), and they changed the family name shortly after he was born..
    2) The player was born and grew up in the "new" country.
    3) He returned to the "old" country and his bio says there "he took studies leading to a medical degree"
    but he didn't necessarily get the degree. As far as I know, he never practiced medicine.
    He studied in the major city there, and won the city's championship in 1970.
    4) He needed a draw in the last round of an international event for his IM title. He was paired
    against a Canadian, and proposed an arrangement. The Canadian responded: "I’d like you to get the title,
    you deserve it, but if I give you a draw it could cost me a third share of fifth prize." He offered the
    Canadian about $60, and they agreed to a quick draw. "It’s not a bribe", stated the Canadian.
    "I rather consider it as compensation for lost earnings."
    5) In another tournament, a well-known European GM came to his room and said: "My country's government
    has told me that I must win an international tournament or they will put me in the army and I
    could get shot in battle.". He believed him, and tossed the game - declining a small sum of money for
    his troubles.
    6) He wrote and/or translated many chess books. He has over 400 titles in the Cleveland Library's
    White collection.
    7) He still plays regularly.
    8) He declared bankruptcy in 2016 after failing to pay taxes related to his chess operations.

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Can you identify the player? Bonuses: can you identify "the Canadian" and/or the "well-known European GM"?
    "The Player" ... Michael Basman

"The Canadian" ... Samuel Lipnowski

"Well-known European GM" ... Florin Gheorghiu

Comment

Close - the Canadian was the father of Samuel - Irwin Lipnowski.

Comment

Haha!!!

Google can be such a little devil at times :))

So, what's your opinion of Mr Basman? And the others too? Played at a different time when ethics not needed to be 'politically correct'?

Comment

Gheorghiu also offered a financial incentive to Canadian Leon Piasetski to throw a game. Leon refused, and won the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            5) In another tournament, a well-known European GM came to his room and said: "My country's government
            has told me that I must win an international tournament or they will put me in the army and I
            could get shot in battle.". He believed him, and tossed the game - declining a small sum of money for
            his troubles.
            In his "Selected Games" book (published in 1980), Gheorghiu forgets to mention the Basman story.
            He ended tied for the first place (with three other players) by winning 3 games and drawing the other 6. So - what a happy ending - he avoided being shot.
            Basman finished dead last in this Hastings 1967/68 tournament.

In the book Gheorghiu analyzes his 2 other wins against Raymond Keene and Julio Kaplan.

Comment

Chess trivia: who is this player?

November 15, 2020

Michael Basman and the tax bill from 2017

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ill#post166954

Comment

Working...
              X