IWM Yuanling Yuan interviewed by Toronto Star! Very nice article!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWM Yuanling Yuan interviewed by Toronto Star! Very nice article!

IWM Yuanling Yuan is interviewed by Kevin Jiang in the Toronto Star, in a very nice article! I first met her in 2003 when she played in the Ontario Open in Kingston, which I organized and directed. She was nine years old, already a very good player, and very friendly and courteous! She contended to win her section at the massive Minneapolis 2005, where I was on the tournament staff. She talks about the series 'The Queen's Gambit!' Here is the link: (hope it works!)
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...e-lessons.html

I will just add that Yuanling Yuan, at age nine, was stronger than Raja Panjwani at age nine. I played a couple of friendly games with Yuanling at the 2003 Ontario Open; I won both but the games were overall more evenly matched than mine against Raja at nine. Raja at age 9 was rated 1210 when his father Dr. Dilip Panjwani asked me to coach him, in early 2000. They had been living in Newfoundland, with limited chess available, and high expenses to travel from there, to play more chess. After one year with me, in Kingston, Raja had gained about 700 rating points. When Yuanling was 11, two years after I met her, she was playing in the U1800 section at Minneapolis 2005, and doing very well. That event had about 200 players per section, and offered $20k US for first prize in each of the non-Open sections. But I think Raja played many more events in his early years, after moving to Ontario, than Yuanling did, so he had the opportunity to improve faster.

Comment

Working...
    X