Think like a Grandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think like a Grandmaster

Hey guys I have amazing chess manual "Think like a Grandmaster"(1971) by Alexander Kotov! Let me know if you are interesting to buy this rare book.

I remember reading it in the early 70's. A great book, but not 100% sure if grandmasters think that way today! A lot of it would hold up today, but some things would be outdated, such as writing your move down before you play it, which is now illegal.

Comment

I have a copy too... not sure it is that rare - more like "uncommon". Some good advice and insight into how a GM thought back in those days.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

This book always brings up for me the tree of analysis especially when I need to do pruning or growing.

Comment

The book itself isn't all that rare... you can buy it right now on Amazon (algebraic edition).

However, the original hardcover edition probably is REALLY rare.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            However, the original hardcover edition probably is REALLY rare.
            I think I have one too. Planned to give as a prize in the tournament. Maybe to sell to the interested person and give away as prizes :) Any buyers? :)

Comment

I have Think Like a Grandmaster, Play Like a Grandmaster & Train Like a Grandmaster ... Kotov is a very good communicator! My volume of Play Like a Grandmaster is soooo well worn ... like your favorite pair of jeans!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                I have Think Like a Grandmaster, Play Like a Grandmaster & Train Like a Grandmaster ... Kotov is a very good communicator! My volume of Play Like a Grandmaster is soooo well worn ... like your favorite pair of jeans!
                Excellent series of books. Every time I read "Think Like a Grandmaster", I usually gained one to two hundred rating points. In 2007, I returned to chess and it was one of the books that I read in the space of a month of intense chess study to shake off a decade of rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Excellent series of books. Every time I read "Think Like a Grandmaster", I usually gained one to two hundred rating points. In 2007, I returned to chess and it was one of the books that I read in the space of a month of intense chess study to shake off a decade of rust.
                  It's quite cool how some books just click. With me, it's Silman's Reassess books.

Comment

I think Silman's book was one of thirty books that I read in 60 days in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

I like Jack Peters comment in the article below:

Peters said: “I don’t believe in the idea of ‘best’ books. Almost any good-quality book can seem terrific if you encounter it at the moment you are ready to learn what the author is explaining. My list is composed of books that made a strong impression on me. In no particular order”

​​​​​​​https://www.chess.com/article/view/t...ess-books-ever
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I like Jack Peters comment in the article below:

Peters said: “I don’t believe in the idea of ‘best’ books. Almost any good-quality book can seem terrific if you encounter it at the moment you are ready to learn what the author is explaining. My list is composed of books that made a strong impression on me. In no particular order”

​​​​​​​https://www.chess.com/article/view/t...ess-books-ever
                        That's a great point, thanks.

Comment

i have a hard cover of think like a grandmaster circa 1971 descriptive notation........good book.......dont think its that rare...bought it in the 80's for $7.50

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Dickson View Post
                            i have a hard cover of think like a grandmaster circa 1971 descriptive notation........good book.......dont think its that rare...bought it in the 80's for $7.50
                            I think it is rare online but not so rare elsewhere. I have one of the updated paperback algebraic versions along with the original hardcover and a kindle edition.

Comment

Working...
                            X