CanBase - database of Canadian games - updated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanBase - database of Canadian games - updated!

CanBase has been updated! There are now 161,896 games played in events held in Canada since 1872 ("Games"), and 48,064 games played by Canadian GM's, IM's, and other noted Canadian players ("Players"). If you have any games you want added, let me know.

"Games": http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm
    "Players": http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/players.htm
    Miscellaneous stuff: http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/index.htm
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 4th January, 2021, 06:54 PM.

I see you still have incorrect information on the winners of the Quebec junior http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/winqjun1.htm for 1976 and 1977. I've mentioned this before but lets try again.

Some of this is from memory so you should double check but.

1) the 1976 Canadian Junior was held in April of 1977 (normally held at Christmas but delayed for some reason). Because it was held in Montreal, there was a qualifying spot from Montreal and one for the province as a whole.

2) Montreal held it's qualifying event (aka Montreal Junior) in November or December of 1976 and was won by me. It was the larger and stronger of the qualifying events so maybe that's why you have my name for the 1977 winner.

3) The provincial qualifying event (aka Quebec Junior) was held a bit later although possibly early 1977 (but I think still in December) and was won by Jean Jacques Rousseau. I didn't play as it was out of town and had already qualified. Good friend of Sylvain Barbeau if you don't remember him.

4) There was also a Quebec Junior for 1977 which was held in the fall of 1977 which was won by someone else whose name I no longer remember (not me, not Rousseau, not Levieille who you have as the 1978 winner).

so your list should read:
    1976 winner Jean Jacques Rousseau
    1977 winner person x whose name you need to find.

Comment

Hi Roger - I'm looking into this.

Nov. 28-30, 1975: Quebec Junior (final - there were qualifiers), won by Frank Wang.
      You played in the Calgary Closed Junior Championship, finishing 3rd. The top three met the top three from Edmonton (in Edmonton), Nov. 22-23, 1975. You finished 5th, which eliminated you from playing in the Canadian Junior - held in Saint John, NB, Dec. 26-30, 1975. Won by Jean Hébert. (CFC "Bulletin" #14, Jan-Feb 1976)

My historical records show that you won a Quebec Junior which took place in March 1977, which would have been a qualifier for the delayed "1976" Canadian Junior ("1977" in my sequencing) which was held over Easter, 1977 in Montreal..
      "The 26-player Quebec Junior was won by Roger Patterson (5-1), George Levtchouk and Nikolai Breton (4.5-1.5), Frank Wang, Perry Lake, Daniel Provost, and Cyrus Lakdawala (4-2).".
      The report is also in Dudley Ledain's column in the "Gazette" of March 26, 1977 (skip to page 10).

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

A Montreal Junior was held in October, 1977:
      "The 23-player Montreal Junior, held at 445 St. Francois Xavier, was won by Jean- Jacques Rousseau (4.5-0.5), Sylvain Barbeau, Francois Sicard (4-1)."

The next Quebec Junior for which I have results was held in December, 1978.
      "The Quebec Junior, held at Trois-Rivieres, was won by Francois Leveille and Perry Lake (3.5-0.5)."

Canadian Junior dates:
      1979 - held Dec. 26, 1978 to Jan. 5, 1979, in Calgary. Won by Sylvain Barbeau.
      1978 - held Dec. 26, 1977 to Jan. 1, 1978, in Toronto. Won by Michael Rohland.
      1977 - held April 8-14, 1977, in Montreal. Won by Martin Buchholz, on tiebreak over Jean Hébert.
      1976 - held Dec. 26-30, 1975 in Saint John NB. Won by Jean Hébert.

The Junior was held during the Christmas-New Year period until 1998-99 (with the exception of the April 1977 event). The next one was held in May, 2000, so using my dates - no years are missing.

If you want - I can change the dates in my table to reflect the actual year(s) in which the games took place (i.e. 1975, 1977, 1977-78, 1978-79, etc). But in order to retain continuity, I would rather leave it as is, with the April 1977 event being the "1977 Canadian Junior", and the 1975-76 one being the "1976 Canadian Junior"..
      And/or: I can put your Quebec Junior victory back into 1976 (although it was held in 1977, for "my" 1977 Canadian Junior).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        Hi Roger - I'm looking into this.

Nov. 28-30, 1975: Quebec Junior (final - there were qualifiers), won by Frank Wang.
        You played in the Calgary Closed Junior Championship, finishing 3rd. The top three met the top three from Edmonton (in Edmonton), Nov. 22-23, 1975. You finished 5th, which eliminated you from playing in the Canadian Junior - held in Saint John, NB, Dec. 26-30, 1975. Won by Jean Hébert. (CFC "Bulletin" #14, Jan-Feb 1976)

My historical records show that you won a Quebec Junior which took place in March 1977, which would have been a qualifier for the delayed "1976" Canadian Junior ("1977" in my sequencing) which was held over Easter, 1977 in Montreal..
        "The 26-player Quebec Junior was won by Roger Patterson (5-1), George Levtchouk and Nikolai Breton (4.5-1.5), Frank Wang, Perry Lake, Daniel Provost, and Cyrus Lakdawala (4-2).".
        The report is also in Dudley Ledain's column in the "Gazette" of March 26, 1977 (skip to page 10).

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

A Montreal Junior was held in October, 1977:
        "The 23-player Montreal Junior, held at 445 St. Francois Xavier, was won by Jean- Jacques Rousseau (4.5-0.5), Sylvain Barbeau, Francois Sicard (4-1)."

The next Quebec Junior for which I have results was held in December, 1978.
        "The Quebec Junior, held at Trois-Rivieres, was won by Francois Leveille and Perry Lake (3.5-0.5)."

Canadian Junior dates:
        1979 - held Dec. 26, 1978 to Jan. 5, 1979, in Calgary. Won by Sylvain Barbeau.
        1978 - held Dec. 26, 1977 to Jan. 1, 1978, in Toronto. Won by Michael Rohland.
        1977 - held April 8-14, 1977, in Montreal. Won by Martin Buchholz, on tiebreak over Jean Hébert.
        1976 - held Dec. 26-30, 1975 in Saint John NB. Won by Jean Hébert.

The Junior was held during the Christmas-New Year period until 1998-99 (with the exception of the April 1977 event). The next one was held in May, 2000, so using my dates - no years are missing.

If you want - I can change the dates in my table to reflect the actual year(s) in which the games took place (i.e. 1975, 1977, 1977-78, 1978-79, etc). But in order to retain continuity, I would rather leave it as is, with the April 1977 event being the "1977 Canadian Junior", and the 1975-76 one being the "1976 Canadian Junior"..
        And/or: I can put your Quebec Junior victory back into 1976 (although it was held in 1977, for "my" 1977 Canadian Junior).
        At some point in the last 43 years you gave me a copy of the L.E.M. (Ligue d'Echecs de Montreal) bulletin that had a report on the tournament. I already had one so I gave a copy to J.K. McDonald for his collection. Sadly, when I moved 6 months ago I disposed of my copy along with my back issues of En Passant, Chess Canada, etc. But perhaps you or Mr. McDonald can look at the report, published either late 1976 or early 1977. It's on the back page of a fairly short bulletin.

Anyway, the back page of that bulletin describes the tournament and would have the correct dates, name of the event (Montreal Junior) and other info. My guess is they match the standings you have linked to in the Gazette meaning the name of the tournament in the Gazette was wrong. I note the column you link to, although published in March 1977, does not give the date of the qualifying tournament.

For sure, the event I won, was late 1976 or early 1977 not March 1977 and while I am not certain, the standings reported seem likely for my event. I drew Breton in the final round which put me at 5-1 (2 draws) and him at 1/2 point back. I had beaten Levtchouck the previous round and he won his last round against Jean Jacques Rousseau to also finish at 4.5/6. Played Provost too I think.

You might also want to look at the crosstable for the Canadian Junior in March 1977 (the '1976 Canadian Junior' ) and note that both myself and Jean Jacques Rousseau played in it and ask yourself, how did he qualify? My answer is he won the Quebec Junior. I qualified as the host city champion

Larry Bevand ran the Montreal Junior I was in as well as L.E.M. Outside chance he might remember.
        Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 5th January, 2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

The "Gazette's" chess column of Feb. 6, 1977 announced the "Montreal Junior" to be held Feb. 26-27, and March 5, at Collège Maisonneuve. So - there could have been a typo in the March 26 report ("both" were 6-round Swisses) - or was a Quebec Junior held sometime between the Montreal Junior (dates above) and the Canadian Junior (April 9-14)? Would the winner of a Montreal Junior have qualified for the Canadian Junior without playing in a Quebec Junior? Taking into account the roughly 10-days-in-advance period in which Ledain would have to submit his column for publication, getting the March 5 results would have seen a March 19 publication at the earliest. How did Jean-Jacques Rousseau qualify for the Canadian Junior?

Camille Coudari's column in "La Presse" of Feb. 12, 1977 also announced the Montreal Junior, and the fact that the winner was eligible for the Canadian Junior.

Ledain - Oct. 15, 1977: Montreal Junior to be held Oct. 22-23 at 445 St Francois Xavier. Online "Gazettes" are missing for the next month so no results available from that source.
          No mention of any other junior events between October 1976 and February 1977.

Let's look at games in my database.
          Roger - I have 8 of your 9 games from the 1977 Canadian Junior. Nothing from earlier events..Did you keep any of your scoresheets?
          11 games from the 1977 Quebec Junior (no month or date given). There are several games by Denis Pineault - but with two games each from rounds 1, 2, and 3. That would seem to indicate that there was more than one Quebec Junior held in 1977 (unless my game dates or tournament names are wrong).
          A Quebec Junior qualifier was played in Shawinigan Feb. 25-27, 1977.
          I have no other related junior games from 1976 or 1977.

I'll keep looking, but I'll have to find chess columns in the Montreal "Star", Le Devoir, or La Presse - some of which aren't available online.
          Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 6th January, 2021, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Roger - I have 8 of your 9 games from the 1977 Canadian Junior. Nothing from earlier events..Did you keep any of your scoresheets?
            long gone. Some of my correspondence games from that era are available but you don't record those.

I'll keep looking, but I'll have to find chess columns in the Montreal "Star", Le Devoir, or La Presse - some of which aren't available online.
            As I say, your best bet is L.E.M. bulletin. And Ken Mcdonald has a copy.

..How did Jean-Jacques Rousseau qualify for the Canadian Junior?
            to repeat, by winning the Quebec Junior. It was held somewhere in the sticks which is part of the reason not too many people played. I had no car and no money so wasn't a plausible tournament for me especially as I had already qualified for the Can. Junior.

Comment

Hugh, thanks so much for your continuing commitment to this project!!
              In your updates notification for the end of 2020, starting this thread, you stated that the year 1872 is the earliest entry by date in the Canbase system. But there was a fairly extensive article in the late 1980s, in the CFC magazine, covering early Toronto tournament chess from the 1850s and 1860s. I cannot recall the exact date, or the author. I have that issue, and can dig it out. Just wondering if anyone else recalls this? Those games would be valuable additions to the collection!!

Comment

I have seen at least one game score from the 1840s from both Montreal and Saint John NB, but no player nor event/location names were given.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

long gone. Some of my correspondence games from that era are available but you don't record those.

As I say, your best bet is L.E.M. bulletin. And Ken Mcdonald has a copy.

to repeat, by winning the Quebec Junior. It was held somewhere in the sticks which is part of the reason not too many people played. I had no car and no money so wasn't a plausible tournament for me especially as I had already qualified for the Can. Junior.
                  David Cohen (R.I.P.) recently dug up the issue of L.E.M. bulletins that I reference earlier in this thread. It has indeed, that the tournament I won was in early 1977 as a qualifier to the Canadian Junior and is the Montreal Junior Championship.

The standings given match the standings reported in the Montreal Gazette so the Montreal Gazette has incorrectly reported this as the Quebec Junior. Fake news as they say..... (Bit of trivia: - Cyrus Lackdawala in 6th place)

There was apparently a 2nd Montreal Junior later in the year so this might be called the 1976 Montreal Junior (like the 1976 Canadian Junior to which I qualified from this event, also held in 1977).

The report does not cover the Quebec Junior of that year so we do not have documentation of my account that this was won by Jean-Jacques Rouusseau which is how he qualified for the Canadian Junior but it certainly wasn't me.
                  Last edited by Roger Patterson; Saturday, 24th July, 2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X