Mystery game #45: Perhaps unique in Canadian chess history!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery game #45: Perhaps unique in Canadian chess history!!

Here is the text of an interesting game. You can discuss the game, guess as to players' strengths, identities, era of game, setting, time controls, and so on. I will supply all data in a few days. Enjoy!!

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.e3 b5 6.a4 b4 7.Na2 e6 8.Bxc4 Be7 9.O-O O-O 10.Bd2 a5 11.Nc1 Nbd7 12.Qe2 Bb7 13.Nb3 Qb6 14.Ne5 c5 15.Nxd7 Nxd7 16.Bb5 Rfd8 17.Rac1 Rac8 18.dxc5 Nxc5 19.Nxc5 Rxc5 20.Rxc5 Qxc5 21.Bc1 Qd5 22.f3 Bc5 23.Bc4 Qd6 24.b3 Bb6 25.Kh1 Ba7 26.g3 h6 27.e4 Bb6 28.Be3 Bxe3 29.Qxe3 Ba6 30.Qa7 Bxc4 31.bxc4 Qd3 32.Rf2 Qxc4 33.Qxa5 Rd1+ 34.Kg2 b3 35.Qb5 Qc3 36.Kh3 Ra1 37.a5 Rxa5 38.Qe8+ Kh7 39.Qxf7 b2 40.Qb7 Ra2 41.e5 Qxe5 42.Qb3 Qf5+ 43.Kg2 b1Q 44.Qxa2 Qxa2 45.Rxa2 Qd5 46.Re2 Kg6 47.Re4 e5 48.Rg4+ Kf6 49.Re4 g5 50.h4 Qd2+ 51.Kh3 gxh4 52.Rxh4 Ke6 53.Re4 Kd5 54.Rh4 Qd1 55.Kg4 e4, 0-1.

NM Christopher Pace (2264) -- Dr. Ted Hsu (1736), Kingston 2019, Jim Cairns Memorial (3), played 2019-09-23. Time controls G/60" + 30".
    The possibly unique feat I describe is the victory by an MP / MPP, or former MP / MPP, over a Master-strength player in a tournament game.
    Ted served as the Liberal MP for Kingston and the Islands from 2011-2015, and decided to not run again in the 2015 election, for what he stated at the time was the need to spend more time with his young family. Ted was selected as the Parliamentarian of the Year by Maclean's magazine. He has, however, secured the provincial Kingston and the Islands Liberal nomination for the next election.
    Chris has lived in Kingston for three years now, and this has been the only game he has lost in a local event. Chris is a super-friendly person who will analyze with anyone in the Kingston Chess Club, .and has been a Master for several years now. Chris is from eastern Ontario, and earned his degree in business from Brock University, which he represented in the post-secondary team event.
    This event honours former KCC president Dr. James Cairns (1923-2010), a strong player, dedicated and skilled organizer, executive member with the Correspondence Association, reliable and generous financial patron for Canadian chess, and a friend to all who met him. He was a member of the Kingston Chess Club for about 50 years. Jim was professor of economics at the Royal Military College of Canada.
    Ted learned chess in the 1970s-era Kingston YMCA program which the late Kalev Pugi (who served as CFC President during that time) helped to run, and Dr. Cairns was one of the instructors! Ted has had several long gaps away from organized chess; he was among the top U-16 players in Canada from the published lists, and was also an organizer in his high school days. He has returned to tournament chess in recent years; this was his first win over a Master, he said. Ted has also returned as an organizer at KCC. The site wikipedia.org has a biographical article about Ted's life and career.
    In the game, Chris plays the quieter 5.e3 in the Slav (the main line is 5.a4) and does not really attain anything of an advantage. The series of exchanges beginning at move 18 leave Black at least equal, and he gradually outplays his more experienced opponent, with excellent accuracy. Black was short of time from move 25 on, but with the half-minute increment per move, was able to navigate all challenges he faced. Black has more activity and better piece coordination in the Queen and rook scenario which arises, and is able to create a dangerous passed pawn, which wins the game.
    So, I don't know if there are any other examples in Canadian chess history where a current or former member of national or provincial parliament has defeated a Master in a tournament game. So, I am putting this question out there!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Frank.

Comment

Chess enthusiasts are attracted to the endless fascination of the game as it takes place over the board. For many of us, including myself, the people one gets the opportunity to meet in chess are at least as interesting. For me, Ted is the most impressive non-Master I have met. Ted has found a way for a very successful career, very varied in his expertise areas, and has kept his interest in chess for 40+ years, albeit with several absences from tournament chess. He was born in 1964, and his peak rating to date is around 1900. I believe Ted can still attain a National Master level of play, at some point in the future, were he to find enough time to devote to it.

Comment

There could be a book of games that masters lost to class players.

Comment

Yes, Erik, and this game has a 500+ point spread between the players!
            I read once that a 400 point spread between opponents means the higher-rated player wins 99 per cent of the points, according to how the rating system is set up, with the Normal Distribution having a Standard Deviation of 200 points, corresponding to a rating class. A separation of 200 points gives the higher-rated player a 75 per cent chance of winning. With 300, it is 7 out of 8. Perhaps others could weigh in on this comparison!

Comment

Working...
            X