Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Canadian University Championship

Taken from the FQE Facebook:

Chess Club - University of Montreal: (UdeM)

For its big comeback on the national chess scene, the UdeM Chess Club finally won the very first place of the Canadian University Chess Championship. With 24 chess clubs from across the country and over 350 registered players, the 2021 edition of CEUC has proven to be extremely competitive. It was a breathtaking comeback in the last hour of play that just allowed us to overtake the Universities of Toronto and Waterloo, which offered a splendid performance. In the end, it is with a lead of only 4 points that we were able to gain eternal glory, thanks to our exceptional top 5 made up of dariustanz (MI Sai Krishna - the best player of the tournament), monnamie1239 (FM Zongyang Yu), Seym222 (Seymour Mg), Fastfatcapablancats (Jonathan Turcotte) and Acehunter1 (FM Henri Zhu)

Congratulations to all the participants for this performance that we will not soon forget! In addition to this, you need to know more about it.

I wouldn't call this the "Canadian University Chess Championship" - it was the "Canadian University Arena Chess Championship". It was played with a 10+5 time control, under Lichess Arena rules (you get assigned a pairing as soon as you finish a game; you might play the same player more than once; there is an obscure scoring system in which you can try for more points by lowering the time you start with. You usually have a two-hour limit to try to play/win as many games as possible against members of the other team)..

I don't believe there was an entry fee charged, and there was no mention of it being CFC-rated. It was simply a "fun" event - no serious chess. Was there verification done to be sure that all players attended the institutions they represented?

Lichess Arena Chess rules: https://lichess.org/tournament/help?system=arena

Comment

I am exceptionally pleased to see this event take place in 2021, in any format which was possible!!
      Thanks and congratulations to everyone who made it happen, organizers and players!!
      Have there been games from this event saved!?

Comment

FWIW, I agree with Hugh and Frank: it's not really a CUCC, and I'm glad they did it anyway.

Comment

Getting any chess tournament organized and played in these dark days which we are enduring certainly deserves sincere appreciation.
          This tournament may be one of the very few formal university / college competitions held in Canada since COVID-19 lockdowns and cancellations began in March, 2020. For example, virtually all of the formal university and college team sports programs have been entirely cancelled; the only one I know of which happened was university football in the Quebec conference in 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X