1955 Interzonal -- Canada not represented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Interzonal -- Canada not represented

Canada was not represented at the 1955 Gothenburg Interzonal in Sweden -- why not?
    We had a qualifying place, due to being our own FIDE zone, as we did for other Interzonals (and filled those spots).

"Because of scholastic commitments and the fact that the FIDE must have a decision before the end of May, Frank R. Anderson (Toronto) will forego his projected match with Canadian co-champion D.A. Yanofsky (Winnipeg) for determining a Canadian representative to the 1955 Interzonal tourney of the world championship series. Canadian co-champion Anderson's decision thus automatically qualifies the Winnipeg master, who has been Canada's representative in this important event upon two previous occasions." [Vancouver Province, 7 May 1955]

"For professional reasons, D.A. Yanofsky will be unable to represent Canada in the interzonal tournament which takes place in September in Goteborg, Sweden. Frank Anderson having previously withdrawn as a candidate, Canada is thus left without representation in the forthcoming individual world championship event."
    [Vancouver Province, 21 May 1955]

Comment

Thanks, Stephen. I figured it was something like this. Could the CFC have tried to find someone else, with Yanofsky and Anderson unavailable? I was thinking about Siemms, or Vaitonis (who played in 1952); either would have been worthy choices? I know it is 65 years ago, so tough to dredge out details such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Thanks, Stephen. I figured it was something like this. Could the CFC have tried to find someone else, with Yanofsky and Anderson unavailable? I was thinking about Siemms, or Vaitonis (who played in 1952); either would have been worthy choices? I know it is 65 years ago, so tough to dredge out details such as this.
        They may have tried, but I imagine it would be hard to find someone who can take 6 weeks off, not to mention getting the funding for the trip in place with less than 3 months notice.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Thanks for this, Chris.
          Other interesting choices of strong Canadian players at that time would have been Maurice Fox and IM Fedor Bohatirchuk, but both were born in the 1890s, so it would have been a very demanding tournament for either in 1955.

Comment

Working...
          X