Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake chess books??

https://www.newbookpromotions.com/ch...39XLALoil-45DQ

Your link advertises the ebook version. All three print volumes have ISBN numbers so I don't think they are fake.

Comment

I gotta love the 3 pages of legal disclaimer at the beginning of a 116 page book that seems to contain a lot of whitespace. Here's an excerpt from that:
      "The information contained in this book and its contents is not designed to replace or take the place of any form of medical or professional advice; and is not meant to replace the need for independent medical, financial, legal or other professional services, as may be required. The content and information in this book has been provided for educational and entertainment purposes only."

and then a paragraph later:
      "Where appropriate and/or necessary you must consult a professional (including but not limited to your doctor, attorney, financial advisor or such other professional advisor) before using any of the suggested remedies, techniques, or information in this book."

This is then followed by a hold-harmless clause.

I don't think it's a surprise that these books showed up not long after the release of Queen's Gambit on Netflix, or that the authors last name (on the cover anyway) is "Carlsen".

Steve

Comment

Having an isbn does not make it a real book .A review of many:

"I thought I was buying a book about chess strategy but it appears the author 'John Carlsen' may have never played chess before in his life. I read a few pages the first day, put it down disgusted, and tried again a few days later. It was just as bad the second time. An example from page 21: "Chess Knight: The best piece. King's Bishop: Without a doubt, the best piece. Queen's Bishop: ...but best piece, period." Ok, which is the 'best piece'? Also; "Pawn: it is the only piece which can make two squares in a move making it the only piece which can jump over other pieces." Umm, it can't jump over pieces, only the Knight can do that, and most other pieces can move two or more squares.
        This is just one example of how bad this book is. You can find many more incredibly poor pages, pretty much any page you open to. I suspect all of the 5 star reviews are either paid or bots."

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Moran-Venegas View Post
          Having an isbn does not make it a real book .A review of many:

"I thought I was buying a book about chess strategy but it appears the author 'John Carlsen' may have never played chess before in his life. I read a few pages the first day, put it down disgusted, and tried again a few days later. It was just as bad the second time. An example from page 21: "Chess Knight: The best piece. King's Bishop: Without a doubt, the best piece. Queen's Bishop: ...but best piece, period." Ok, which is the 'best piece'? Also; "Pawn: it is the only piece which can make two squares in a move making it the only piece which can jump over other pieces." Umm, it can't jump over pieces, only the Knight can do that, and most other pieces can move two or more squares.
          This is just one example of how bad this book is. You can find many more incredibly poor pages, pretty much any page you open to. I suspect all of the 5 star reviews are either paid or bots."
          Could "John Carlsen" actually be Neil Frarey?

I ask because I followed the link given in the first post of this thread, and on that site if you scroll down, there is this:

"So you want to learn how to play chess, hah?"

Well, who do we know from ChessTalk who tends to end a lot of his statements with "HA!" ???

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I ask because I followed the link given in the first post of this thread, and on that site if you scroll down, there is this:

Well, who do we know from ChessTalk who tends to end a lot of his statements with "HA!" ???
            LOL!!! Thanks!!!

Comment

I thought the same thing, Pargat. But then, wait, that sentence seems a little too cleanly constructed, doesn't it? Still - maybe Neil could have written it. I decided to scroll further down the page to see if there was anything that would decide the matter. Neil or not Neil, Neil or not Neil......and then BOOM!! There it was: "revolutionary." That's right, a six-syllable word. If you can imagine Neil using a six-syllable word without needing immediate medical attention then you can imagine this:

Neil (circa grade 13) - "MOM, MOM, I GOT 98% ON MY CALCULUS EXAM!!!!

I don't think so.
              Last edited by Peter McKillop; Monday, 8th February, 2021, 09:19 PM.
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Fake books??? Wtf

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I thought the same thing, Pargat. But then, wait, that sentence seems a little too cleanly constructed, doesn't it? Still - maybe Neil could have written it. I decided to scroll further down the page to see if there was anything that would decide the matter. Neil or not Neil, Neil or not Neil......and then BOOM!! There it was: "revolutionary." That's right, a six-syllable word. If you can imagine Neil using a six-syllable word without needing immediate medical attention then you can imagine this:

Neil (circa grade 13) - "MOM, MOM, I GOT 98% ON MY CALCULUS EXAM!!!!

I don't think so.
                  I don't think there is enough photoshopping in those books to be authored by Neil... maybe the cover though.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

hah is quite distinct from HA!.

Neil would have all kinds of nice, creative graphics if he had anything to do with that advertisement. I suspect that the book would be better written than the reports suggest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

I don't think there is enough photoshopping in those books to be authored by Neil... maybe the cover though.
                      It is probably generated by a website in a box or book in a box software. Earn multiple streams of income using our proven system for publishing a book/website or book and website.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 8th February, 2021, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Well, there are so many good books, especially by FIDE-titled players ; why someone would go for a completely unknown author?

On that note, who are some good authors who aren't atleast at FM level with books in the past 20 years ? Dan Heisman is one name that comes to mind ; while not an FM, he is a USCF National Master and prolific author. Any others ?

Comment

Unfortunately has been happening for years. It is easier now for the fraud artist due to technological advances. Some make a brand new cover and title, put a known authors name on it, copy a few pages of a real book fill the rest of the book with gibberish and sell it. Amazon has received complains for years. The one that triggers my post came from an ad in facebook.I do not expect any action from these companies till their revenue stream is affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                            Fake books??? Wtf
                            There goes books.
                            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Fake chess books??

February 9, 2021

Readers may remember a discussion in this forum of “authors” who gathered up Wikipedia articles on chess and published them!

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ok-about-larry

Comment

Working...
                              X