Interesting email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting email

As many of you may know, Hal Bond resigned last month from his position as CFC FIDE Representative. I have known Hal for more than 15 years, I have played in Guelph many times, and successfully collaborated with him as a National Team Captain and Master Representative. I have always greatly respected him and was really sorry to hear about his decision.

Next week, the CFC will have a special voting members meeting for the election of a new FIDE Representative. There are 3 candidates for this position: Aris Marghetis, Vadim Tsypin and myself.

You can find a lot of information here:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ction-Feb-2021

Vadim Tsypin, as an experienced chess politician, has a very strong campaign. He put a lot of time and effort into approaching practically every voting member and many regular players (who have no voting rights, but every endorsement is important). I don't use this approach, but I fully understand him.

As part of his campaign, Vadim sent an email to me (!!) with a great offer to publicly support and endorse him, because he is the best candidate for this position.

Maybe I am just an old-fashioned person. Maybe I am still living in the 19th century. Maybe I don't understand modern trends in chess politics. But I don't understand this at all. How could a candidate send this kind of email to another candidate with such a peculiar proposal?

Vadim believes that he is the best candidate... and that may be the case. Vadim believes that he will get overwhelming support in every province... possible as well. However, as a respectful human being he shouldn't send this sort of email to another candidate.

It's like if I were to play chess against Vadim and propose that he resigns in the initial position, before the game even starts. Why? Because I am a better player and will very likely win this game anyway.

CFC chess politics is really funny sometimes.

It seems a bit unorthodox to say the least... At least the CFC has 3 well respected candidates for this important position (this is not always the case...)
    Good luck to all of you.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
      As many of you may know, Hal Bond resigned last month from his position as CFC FIDE Representative. I have known Hal for more than 15 years, I have played in Guelph many times, and successfully collaborated with him as a National Team Captain and Master Representative. I have always greatly respected him and was really sorry to hear about his decision.

Next week, the CFC will have a special voting members meeting for the election of a new FIDE Representative. There are 3 candidates for this position: Aris Marghetis, Vadim Tsypin and myself.

You can find a lot of information here:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...ction-Feb-2021

Vadim Tsypin, as an experienced chess politician, has a very strong campaign. He put a lot of time and effort into approaching practically every voting member and many regular players (who have no voting rights, but every endorsement is important). I don't use this approach, but I fully understand him.

As part of his campaign, Vadim sent an email to me (!!) with a great offer to publicly support and endorse him, because he is the best candidate for this position.

Maybe I am just an old-fashioned person. Maybe I am still living in the 19th century. Maybe I don't understand modern trends in chess politics. But I don't understand this at all. How could a candidate send this kind of email to another candidate with such a peculiar proposal?

Vadim believes that he is the best candidate... and that may be the case. Vadim believes that he will get overwhelming support in every province... possible as well. However, as a respectful human being he shouldn't send this sort of email to another candidate.

It's like if I were to play chess against Vadim and propose that he resigns in the initial position, before the game even starts. Why? Because I am a better player and will very likely win this game anyway.

CFC chess politics is really funny sometimes.
      I hereby confirm that I also received such an email from Vadim Tsypin.

Comment

Starting to seem like Vadim may have hit send too quickly... :) On the other hand, it is a "legal move" I suppose.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I agree with something said earlier - we have 3 stellar replacement candidates - I'm glad I don't have to be the one to choose!

Good luck to all three candidates - campaign your hearts out........all for the betterment of Canadian chess!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            Starting to seem like Vadim may have hit send too quickly... :) On the other hand, it is a "legal move" I suppose.
            Voting members may get the VM list and discuss matters related to the CFC "in person". Of course for the election type information more care shall be taken in a mass emailing. Otherwise you'll get hot on chesstalks :)

I'm the Exec and the "true" VM as well, and I have not received the email. Feel abandoned LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Voting members may get the VM list and discuss matters related to the CFC "in person". Of course for the election type information more care shall be taken in a mass emailing. Otherwise you'll get hot on chesstalks :)

I'm the Exec and the "true" VM as well, and I have not received the email. Feel abandoned LOL
              Egis, at least in my case in was not the part of mass emailing. It was a personal email for me and Mark.

Comment

Egis, at least in my case in was not the part of mass emailing. It was a personal email for me and Mark.
                Now I see your "me" meaning.

Comment

As part of his campaign, Vadim sent an email to me (!!) with a great offer to publicly support and endorse him ....
                  Vadim's email, as you've described it Victor, doesn't seem unusual to me. In Canadian politics, for example at party leadership conventions, it frequently happens that candidate X will negotiate with a rival to drop his/her candidacy and support X's candidacy instead. Often there's a quid pro quo involved (e.g. potential cabinet post). Don't know if that's the case here but, regardless, seems like a normal political ploy to me.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Miyamoto Musashi says, "Do nothing which is of no use."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Vadim's email, as you've described it Victor, doesn't seem unusual to me. In Canadian politics, for example at party leadership conventions, it frequently happens that candidate X will negotiate with a rival to drop his/her candidacy and support X's candidacy instead. Often there's a quid pro quo involved (e.g. potential cabinet post). Don't know if that's the case here but, regardless, seems like a normal political ploy to me.
                      Yes. I was myself a delegate at the 2003 Leadership Convention of the former federal Progressive Conservative Party. In return for a written agreement to NOT MERGE WITH THE CANADIAN ALLIANCE PARTY, among other lesser demands, David Orchard, whom I was supporting, asked all of his delegates to walk across the floor to support Peter MacKay and then to vote for him on the final and decisive ballot. We did so, MacKay won, and then reneged and destroyed the Party of Confederation.

I do not think what Vadim has done is wrong at all. But we should all be wary about making these sorts of agreements.

Comment

These are three truly outstanding candidates -- Aris, Victor, and Vadim -- for this position, so I am confident that Canada will be well represented, whatever the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X