My resignation as FIDE Rep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met Hal at one of his tournaments in the 1980s and have observed and talked with him on many occasions since.

The incriminating email "forwarded" to FIDE is such a bad forgery that I actually laughed the first time I read it. It is not only wildly out of character with the controlled and cautious and rule-enforcing Hal that I have known, but also the language of the offending bits is a ridiculous hash of Stalinist propaganda written by someone whose first language is very clearly not English:
    • "a towering figure over new dwarfs."
    • "the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc."
    • "Macro's enlightened leadership."
    How could anybody read that and not see it as bullshit? Even if we ignore the bit about "Zionism", no one with any familiarity with chess and/or politics could possibly lump Putin with Kasparov. Hal would have to be an utter imbecile to write that; and Hal is not an imbecile.

Sadly, it seems there are people in FIDE who can be duped by such a ham-handed forgery, and Hal has suffered because of it. This includes being removed as an official from a major FIDE event while FIDE was (supposedly) reviewing the case against him [I think this was the London WC match, but I may be misremembering].

I look forward to attending Hal's future tournaments -- if this hasn't soured him so much as to quit chess entirely -- and hope to see him as FIDE rep some time in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Some questions. Were Hal's reports to the CFC executive considered confidential? That is, was someone on the executive in 2018 indiscreet with Hal's report, thus leading to the subsequent alteration of his email? Or are we to wonder if someone on the executive was directly responsible for altering Hal's report?

Regarding FIDE's email above, are we to understand that the alteration of Hal's report is only now coming to FIDE's attention??? Why wasn't the CFC fully supporting Hal when the alteration first came to light?
      Everyone on the executive denies that they shared the file. There are ways to get an email with certain software that can be installed on a phone or computer but the email was sent from an airport hence making it unlikely that one person was behind it.

We supported Hal. We did not proceed with any application for the FIDE program and indeed getting rid of Hal would not have helped our application according to Berik.

The problem is that Hal wanted to solve a problem at the CFC level that needed to be solved at the FIDE level but he seemed incurious about the origin of the email forgery seizing on the first suspect and never letting go.

Anyway, now that FIDE is investigating there should be some resolution at the level where it should have been investigated from the beginning.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Friday, 26th February, 2021, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        I too find the premise that Hal's computer was hacked or his email intercepted at the airport to be far too convenient an "explanation". Let me be clear that I have worked for many years in IT security and I *do* realize that these things are possible - especially intercepting email - but, seriously? I agree with Brad's post unless some proper evidence is shown regarding hacking or interception.

A more reasonable "explanation" is that Hal's original email was (perhaps inadvertently?) bandied about outside the CFC Executive and it was forwarded to someone who could reframe it and send it to FIDE.

Peter's suggestion that FIDE should know WHO sent them the email is the first place to start - if they are unwilling to divulge THAT piece of info then I think we can assume it is indeed an inside job. The only question remains: inside FIDE or inside the CFC or could it be a bit of both?

The entire mess around Hal's departure (and the couple of YEARS of nonsense leading up to it) is enough for some heads to roll.

By the way Brad, I believe that 2+2=5 for sufficient large values of 2.
        The original email was pretty innocuous. The forgery was obviously done by a European. The only board member that I didn't know well at the time was Egis. Along with everyone else, he denied sharing it. I am sure FIDE is getting to the bottom of it at the moment. The last time I heard the term Zionist in conversation was in Rabbi Plaut's world religion class in 1973 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

...FIDE considered Hal to be a liability ...
          Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          ... getting rid of Hal ...
          Great language!

Ha!

Comment

I am sure FIDE is getting to the bottom of it at the moment.
            I am not so sure.

Although it is interesting that they have relieved Mr. Tsypin of his duties on the Management Committee. This must cause you some concern! We may suppose that FIDE deem or know him to be the deliverer of the doctored email. How will Mr. Tsypin explain to FIDE how he got the email, which of course he will claim was NOT doctored by himself? This may cause you problems! He may in fact claim that because he was sent a doctored email and mislead by it, he too is a victim in all of this. That would hurt! If he is quiet on the subject then likely FIDE will not give him his job back, but if he divulges the identity of the culprit then maybe FIDE will let him continue? Let us hope not! Will Tsypin tell lies to try to save his own skin, or tell the truth because this he believes is more likely to help him to save his skin? One thing is for sure, he will save his own ass first. He will not be worried over yours! He may well toss his cohort in cahoots under the bus in order to attempt to save himself. Oh dear!

Did you ever think about all of this, dude? How does it feel to sweat like a caged rat?

Comment

Anyway, now that FIDE is investigating there should be some resolution at the level where it should have been investigated from the beginning.
              This relates to one of the questions I've been asking: why is FIDE only now investigating this? Why wasn't an investigation under way in 2018 or 2019 at the CFC's insistence?
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

I am not so sure.

Although it is interesting that they have relieved Mr. Tsypin of his duties on the Management Committee. This must cause you some concern! We may suppose that FIDE deem or know him to be the deliverer of the doctored email. How will Mr. Tsypin explain to FIDE how he got the email, which of course he will claim was NOT doctored by himself? This may cause you problems! He may in fact claim that because he was sent a doctored email and mislead by it, he too is a victim in all of this. That would hurt! If he is quiet on the subject then likely FIDE will not give him his job back, but if he divulges the identity of the culprit then maybe FIDE will let him continue? Let us hope not! Will Tsypin tell lies to try to save his own skin, or tell the truth because this he believes is more likely to help him to save his skin? One thing is for sure, he will save his own ass first. He will not be worried over yours! He may well toss his cohort in cahoots under the bus in order to attempt to save himself. Oh dear!

Did you ever think about all of this, dude? How does it feel to sweat like a caged rat?
                It might be cause for concern if FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich had not been in touch and explained the situation. The suspension with pay, had everything to do with our CFC election for FIDE rep and nothing to do with whatever occurred in the past. You are jumping to the conclusion that Mr. Tsypin got the email. I don't know that. In fact, I know nothing that Hal Bond didn't tell me. At this point, given his recent track record, that means that I know nothing about this situation.. If someone can lie about things that I know and understand and can document, they can lie about anything. Hal Bond didn't want me poking around in FIDE's business. As a result, I didn't poke around in FIDE's business. Once I started poking around in FIDE's business I learned many things.

My ass is fat and quite secure, though perhaps not as fat as when the pandemic started because I was recovering from an Achilles tendon tear which had seen me balloon up in weight. I am back in the weight range of some twenty years ago. I gained twenty pounds because of that injury but lost thirty during the pandemic. My balance is back which was something which I missed greatly over the eighteen months. The doctor said I would regain 95% of my function. I feel like I am at 100%.

This rat statement tells me more about you than you would ever intentionally reveal. I am not sweating at all. I would have been content just being the masters rep for a while. I didn't need any additional lines on my resume. I became president because I wanted better things for chess in Canada than what was occurring. I became president because I was asked to by people who are now jumping on the bandwagon because I wouldn't toe the line. I became president because of the kids who were being ill served by chess politicians who made every wrong move at every opportunity.

Big hint: I always do what I think is right for the CFC and its members. Some people are more interested in doing what helps them and their friends. I have been in much worse predicaments with my only weapon my trusty toothbrush. If you think you have me on the ropes, think again. Prepare to be schooled.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

Vlad called me the same day [i.e. Oct. 11, 2018 - P. McK.] and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.

We supported Hal. We did not proceed with any application for the FIDE program and indeed getting rid of Hal would not have helped our application according to Berik. ......
                  Soooo....just another day at work at the sleazy old CFC?

"Hey CFC execs! FIDE just offered us €20,000 to get rid of Hal. But let's not get upset and demand an explanation for this outrageous behaviour. Let's just note that getting rid of Hal may not get us the desired outcome."

Based on what you've written, it doesn't seem to me that the CFC "supported Hal." Why not?
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I would not read too much into the suspension with pay. Think of it as an enforced vacation for someone who works 16 hour days, seven days a week. They did not want it to be perceived that the people high up at FIDE were supporting one candidate or the other. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Soooo....just another day at work at the sleazy old CFC?

"Hey CFC execs! FIDE just offered us €20,000 to get rid of Hal. But let's not get upset and demand an explanation for this outrageous behaviour. Let's just note that getting rid of Hal may not get us the desired outcome."

Based on what you've written, it doesn't seem to me that the CFC "supported Hal." Why not?
                      I am unaware of any $20,000 amount. There was talk of chess sets, clocks, DGT boards, arbiter seminars, FIDE trainer seminars, and subsidies for tournaments.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Saturday, 27th February, 2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I am unaware of any $20,000 amount. There was talk of chess sets, clocks, DGT boards, arbiter seminars, FIDE trainer seminars, and subsidies for tournaments.
                        That's 20,000 euros and, according to Hal, you advised him of this amount. But the big question remains unanswered. The CFC knew that something (they may not have had all the details) was wrong in the fall of 2018, pertaining to Hal and FIDE. Why wasn't the matter pursued by the CFC? Is it a common occurrence that an officer of a national federation will be under a cloud at FIDE without the national federation wanting to know if FIDE is justified?

Comment

All this was covered in the AGM. Hal didn't want us to make a public stink. The 20,000 Euro figure is a fabrication. I can't find any such statement.

Comment

. The 20,000 Euro figure is a fabrication.
                            Suuurre it is ... okey-dokey.

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

Vlad called me the same day and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.
                            This is gettin' better all the time...

Comment

Hal Bond
                              Sat 2018-10-20 10:34 AM
                              To: CFC executive

I have gone thru my email updates to the Executive and none of them was copied to XXXX, and none of them was particularly nasty. So if they have anything it was either leaked or they are hacking into our emails. Even so, I am satisfied that I have kept my comments within the lines of civil discourse.

Dear Executive

My 37 hour journey home starts in 3.5 hours. No place like home!

Vlad- I considered paying the AIDEF dues of €200 but I was unsure of the story back home. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.

More later

Hal

Sent: October 19, 2018 7:58 PM
                              To: Fred McKim <fred_mckim@hotmail.com>; kris-egis@kris-egis.com; Chess Federation of Canada <admin@chess.ca>
                              Cc: 'Hal Bond' <halbond@sympatico.ca>; 'Lyle Craver' <lcraver@shaw.ca>; 'Mark Dutton' <markdutton@shaw.ca>; 'Christina Tao' <cfcyouthchess@gmail.com>; info@chess.ca
                              Subject: CFC board confidentiality and FIDE relations

There are a couple of things that we should probably update the board on.

Hal heard from XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and it appears that relations may be strained over the contents of an email or two sent by Hal. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX has also complained about an email sent by Hal from the airport in Batumi but I don't recall seeing any particularly inflammatory email from Hal at that point. The paranoid interpretation is that the KGB may be reading our emails and forwarding them to members of the Dvorkovich team. Alternatively maybe one of us is being careless. If one of us attaches a new name to an email chain we should cut out all discussion. The best way to be safe is to simply start a new email.

At this point it seems to me that Hal is the target of trumped up charges that have little to do with anything he has done. It is unclear if the problem generator is someone from Canada or there is someone in the background pulling the strings. It doesn't matter as FIDE at this point is a black box and we have to deal with what is coming out of it.

From the discussions I have had with XXXXXXX1 and XXXXXXXXXXX2 they were talking about $30k to $50k to Canada in the first year and perhaps something lower through the next three years. The first year would no doubt be goosed up to the retail value of some DGT product. I did not find the idea of paying money to existing tournaments like the Windsor Chess Challenge and various Montreal events to be conducive to anything useful to the CFC or chess in general. Also, they did imply that any promises might be overruled in favour of poorer federations like Haiti and Trinidad, Tobago etc. which would actually make more sense.

It might be a useful exercise to think what we would do with $50,000 to $20,000 in sponsorship money unencumbered with conditions. If we can come up with some good projects maybe we can make it happen within Canada without FIDE's help.

On the Hal front, we have let some deadlines pass and I don't think we should do anything. I am willing to take the lead on FIDE projects but I don't want to do it unless it proves to be absolutely necessary. There is lots of things that need to be done in Canada and Windsor that I would prefer to concentrate on.

I don't think we should take action against XXXXXXX1 as advocated by the XXXXXXX until we more fully understand what the situation is. If he is the only one orchestrating the campaign against Hal then sanctions might be in order but if he is only relaying information from someone higher up the food chain then we need to be cautious. Due process in everything we do whether for Hal or XXXXXXXXXX1.

I am going to be a bit distracted this next week as I take my mother and father to London where my mother will undergo surgery for an aneurysm. I will be back in Windsor on Thursday if everything goes to plan. I will have my computer and cell phone.

Vlad
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 28th February, 2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Hal wrote, "Following the 2020 CFC AGM, Drkulec tries to take my place at the FIDE Online General Assembly."

Why, Mr. Drkulec, did you attempt to pull this stunt? Do you recognize that this corroborates the suggestions that you have some guilt in all of this? Are you just the victim of bad luck? The victim of false appearances? Many of us may still have an open mind, but you had best explain. You would go a long way toward absolving yourself if you could legitimately explain to us why you attempted to usurp the position of the rightful FIDE delegate. Why did you do this?

Comment

Working...
                                X